U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2016, 06:46 PM
 
17 posts, read 17,405 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What do you mean that the number of gay men in the area has plummeted "as the area gentrifies?" Both gay men and women with normal families and lifestyles for the most part help gentrify neighborhoods to begin with. If you're referring to the gritty lifestyle of the 70s and 80's that permeated that region full of all types of people of all sexual orientations then that's a different story.
Sounds like what he means is that Chelsea was quasi-exclusive gay neighborhood, plus the beefcake look was bigger before, so there was more local demand for gyms (especially these types of gym that seem to cater to a gay clientele?)

Women with normal lifestyle and family aren't going to be pumping iron several times a week to score another guy on the weekend at the bars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 PM
 
18,288 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahando View Post
Sounds like what he means is that Chelsea was quasi-exclusive gay neighborhood, plus the beefcake look was bigger before, so there was more local demand for gyms (especially these types of gym that seem to cater to a gay clientele?)

Women with normal lifestyle and family aren't going to be pumping iron several times a week to score another guy on the weekend at the bars

There was nothing "exclusive" about Chelsea gay or otherwise.


Large sections are either housing projects, were or are manufacturing, tons of welfare and SRO hotels, etc.... There certainly wasn't or isn't anything "exclusive" about 8th Avenue from 14th to 34th streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,328 posts, read 12,424,559 times
Reputation: 15400
Shut down with no real notice just before Christmas. Poor form here. They are complete TOOLS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 11:37 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What do you mean that the number of gay men in the area has plummeted "as the area gentrifies?" Both gay men and women with normal families and lifestyles for the most part help gentrify neighborhoods to begin with. If you're referring to the gritty lifestyle of the 70s and 80's that permeated that region full of all types of people of all sexual orientations then that's a different story.
Most of the gay bars in Chelsea have closed, and many of the gay people who lived there in the 90s were long priced out. So yes the number of gay men in the neighborhood plummeted, plain and simple. Many even returned to middle america where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 11:38 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahando View Post
Sounds like what he means is that Chelsea was quasi-exclusive gay neighborhood, plus the beefcake look was bigger before, so there was more local demand for gyms (especially these types of gym that seem to cater to a gay clientele?)

Women with normal lifestyle and family aren't going to be pumping iron several times a week to score another guy on the weekend at the bars
Exactly. In those days when there were many more gay bars in Chelsea, there were many more men who went to those gyms to become muscular to score with another guy on weekends OR to work in bars as muscle bound bartenders, gay strippers, or similar jobs. Only that job market took a huge hit due to so many gay clubs closing, especially superclubs like Twilo, and the bigger gay bars like Splash have also closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2016, 08:08 PM
 
3,013 posts, read 5,531,556 times
Reputation: 1503
This is a gay gym?

I didn't know.

I called last week in search of a personal trainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 11:48 AM
 
6,837 posts, read 4,435,858 times
Reputation: 7622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Crunch and Mid City have been around far longer than David Barton Gym...Crunch has the same ambiance as long as I remember
The new Mid city gym on 42nd st is a copy of DBG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM
 
6,837 posts, read 4,435,858 times
Reputation: 7622
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
This is a gay gym?

I didn't know.

I called last week in search of a personal trainer.
That trainer was going to work a lot out of you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There was nothing "exclusive" about Chelsea gay or otherwise.


Large sections are either housing projects, were or are manufacturing, tons of welfare and SRO hotels, etc.... There certainly wasn't or isn't anything "exclusive" about 8th Avenue from 14th to 34th streets.
Actually 8th Avenue is developing pretty nicely. In recent years more of the porn stores have gone under (the one on 31st Street did), and more of the gay bars have gone under. To be replaced by Starbucks, Juice Bars, some new bank branches, and other expensive retail.

In 10 years time, I seriously doubt that strip will have any gay bars or porn stores. But who says it will take that long, if all that somehow closed this year or even that month I would not be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top