U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 PM

3,013 posts, read 5,531,556 times

Advertisements

Gowanus???

Someone care to explain this one to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,416,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
How is Bath Beach number 3? :/
Yep all the other neighborhoods on the list you can argue for or against with lists of reasons. But bath beach? I don't know what reasons you can come up with to argue that it's hot.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Gowanus???

Someone care to explain this one to me?
Three eyed Brooklyn fishes are cool.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 AM

2,922 posts, read 1,191,154 times
All i can say isTHANK GOD my 'hood isnt on the list.

Bayside is way out there, but I can see why it is hot. Does not offer a quick ride into the city.

LIC did not make the list, with all those expensive buildings and skyline views? Oops, another building is blocking my view.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
All i can say isTHANK GOD my 'hood isnt on the list.

Bayside is way out there, but I can see why it is hot. Does not offer a quick ride into the city.

LIC did not make the list, with all those expensive buildings and skyline views? Oops, another building is blocking my view.
I think the list overall seems to indicate that people are looking for more long term viable options. From that perspective the areas on the list makes sense. And Bayside is a pretty quick 25min commute to Manhattan if you're willing to pay for the LIRR. The timeliness of the trains is just incredible compared to constant delays of the subway so you can leave your home at exactly the same time every morning and know that the train will be there.

If you look at last year's list there were a bunch of cheap semi ghetto places with many places in far out Bronx and Jamaica on the top of the list. Since part of the methodology is that they look at the percentage increase in page views for those areas on StreetEasy it made sense at the time that people were very nervous about being priced out so they were looking at the cheapest places. Now that the maket is settling people are looking at more long term viable options. Whether that's price vs. distance or trendy vs family friendly.

And LIC not making the list just means that 25-30 year olds willing to spend a chunk of their pay on a room share do no make up the majority of people going onto street east. Does street easy even list room shares? I'd bet LIC would be near the top if CraigsList comes out with a list.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-22-2016 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,565,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I think the list overall seems to indicate that people are looking for more long term viable options. From that perspective the areas on the list makes sense. And Bayside is a pretty quick 25min commute to Manhattan if you're willing to pay for the LIRR. The timeliness of the trains is just incredible compared to constant delays of the subway so you can leave your home at exactly the same time every morning and know that the train will be there.

If you look at last year's list there were a bunch of cheap semi ghetto places with many places in far out Bronx and Jamaica on the top of the list. Since part of the methodology is that they look at the percentage increase in page views for those areas on StreetEasy it made sense at the time that people were very nervous about being priced out so they were looking at the cheapest places. Now that the maket is settling people are looking at more long term viable options. Whether that's price vs. distance or trendy vs family friendly.

And LIC not making the list just means that 25-30 year olds willing to spend a chunk of their pay on a room share do no make up the majority of people going onto street east. Does street easy even list room shares? I'd bet LIC would be near the top if CraigsList comes out with a list.
The LIRR runs nowhere near is frequently as the subway. I never even bother to look at subway schedules.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:37 AM

2,922 posts, read 1,191,154 times
If you live close to the LIRR, and it did not snow more than 6 inches, if all goes as planned, that is a decent time. MTA trains run like every 5 minutes during peak, and frequent to about just after midnight.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
If you live close to the LIRR, and it did not snow more than 6 inches, if all goes as planned, that is a decent time. MTA trains run like every 5 minutes during peak, and frequent to about just after midnight.
In my opinion, it runs pretty frequently after midnight too. The maximum headways are like 15-20 minutes, which might feel like forever if you're drunk and tired but it's not a long wait at all. The LIRR doesn't even run that frequently at 9 PM.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette.ms View Post
yes in your opinion... Thats not frequent for such a big major and popular city..
What are you talking about? NYC is one of the ONLY cities with subway service that late

Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette.ms View Post
20 minutes ain't frequent...
At 3 in the morning, it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City