U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2016, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,334 posts, read 7,251,639 times
Reputation: 2709

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
If you live close to the LIRR, and it did not snow more than 6 inches, if all goes as planned, that is a decent time. MTA trains run like every 5 minutes during peak, and frequent to about just after midnight.


NYC subways come 5-6 mins and 3 mins during rush hour compare every 26-33, 15 rush hour for LIRR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,334 posts, read 7,251,639 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
If you live close to the LIRR, and it did not snow more than 6 inches, if all goes as planned, that is a decent time. MTA trains run like every 5 minutes during peak, and frequent to about just after midnight.


NYC subways come 5-6 mins and 3 mins during rush hour compare every 26-33, 15 rush hour for LIRR. Miss one 7 train in Queens next one come in 5 min to 7 mins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 08:08 AM
 
1,774 posts, read 1,417,284 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The LIRR runs nowhere near is frequently as the subway. I never even bother to look at subway schedules.
I didn't say that it runs as frequent. On the Port Washington line you can catch a train every 15-20mins and they're almost always on time (can't say the same about other LIRR lines) which is great if you're on a schedule. I leave my house at exactly the same time every single day and am able to catch the exact same train every single day at exactly the same time +- 1 mins. The past year I have experienced 2 delays and that's it. Each and every single day I arrive at Penn Station +- 3 mins from the schedule.

When I use to take the subway there were moderate delays like 4 out of 5 days and massive delays a few times a year. If the subway schedule tells you that it's 25 mins you definitely need to add 10-15mins on top of that due to rush hour delays on the majority of days and I'm telling you that those same constant delays don't exists on the Port Washington line to Bayside. If you need to get to the daycare to pick up your child by 6:30pm and the train schedule says the arrival time is 6:25pm you can trust it 363 days out of the year. If you're riding the subway you better plan on getting there at least 20-25 mins early and you'll still probably get there late at least once a month due to the standard signal problems. Not to mention that it's a much much nicer ride than the filthy and smelly subways. Every time I have to take the subway now I get a felling of disgust.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-23-2016 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 08:24 AM
 
1,774 posts, read 1,417,284 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC subways come 5-6 mins and 3 mins during rush hour compare every 26-33, 15 rush hour for LIRR. Miss one 7 train in Queens next one come in 5 min to 7 mins
I used to ride the 7 and about 4-5 times a year the service gets suspended or the trains turnaround in Queens Plaza during morning rush hour. Also 4 out of 5 days the train takes 10-15 mins longer than the schedule with most of the slow down occurring after Court Sq. and about 2 out of 5 days you need to wait at least 10mins between trains especially when it gets really cold during the winter. They also suspend the express service due to signal problems which seem to occur 2-3 times a month. The service also got worst after they extended the line.

When I use to take the F in Brooklyn it wasn't much better. Hated it whenever they suspend service by Jay St and I had to scramble for the shuttle bus. The L which I use to take 7/8 years ago was even worst, 3 out of 5 days the majority of people waiting on the platform had to wait for a few trains to pass once you get to Bedford ave because the trains were so packed. And once you'r finally able to squeeze in after missing 3 trains you'll be packed in a sardine can while the train crawls through the tunnel. You won't know if you don't take it during rush hour, and the people that live there are too stuck up and embarrassed to admit that they can't even get on the train on most days during morning rush hour. The 10min commute in Williamsburg is a total lie since you'll spend that much time just waiting for a train to fit into most days unless you work odd hours. Even when I took the L train to school like 20-25 years ago it was already crowded (Yes I'm proof that hipsters didn't discover the L line and there were people actually living there). Each and every morning back then the train conductor would threaten to take the train out of service because people were holding the doors. And on one occasion he made good on that promise and took the train out of service. Though ever since the area gentrified I haven't heard any conductor being that rude not to mention the announcements are automated now.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-23-2016 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,334 posts, read 7,251,639 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I used to ride the 7 and about 4-5 times a year the service gets suspended or the trains turnaround in Queens Plaza during morning rush hour. Also 4 out of 5 days the train takes 10-15 mins longer than the schedule with most of the slow down occurring after Court Sq. and about 2 out of 5 days you need to wait at least 10mins between trains especially when it gets really cold during the winter. They also suspend the express service due to signal problems which seem to occur 2-3 times a month. The service also got worst after they extended the line. When I use to take the F in Brooklyn it wasn't much better. Hated it whenever they suspend service by Jay St and I had to scramble for the shuttle bus.
When I am in NYC 7 train come on time this was recently in 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 AM
 
1,774 posts, read 1,417,284 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
When I am in NYC 7 train come on time this was recently in 2016
Well I can tell you for sure if you don't mind paying double for the LIRR and live near a station you'd definitely take it. I'm starting to see more and more people get off on Main St. in FLushing on the LIRR. It says a lot about the riding experience when people are willing to pay double.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 12:05 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Well I can tell you for sure if you don't mind paying double for the LIRR and live near a station you'd definitely take it. I'm starting to see more and more people get off on Main St. in FLushing on the LIRR. It says a lot about the riding experience when people are willing to pay double.
It's certainly quicker and more comfortable. Plus LIRR trains have bathrooms, and eating and drinking (even alcohol) are permitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 12:16 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,587 posts, read 2,703,917 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's certainly quicker and more comfortable. Plus LIRR trains have bathrooms, and eating and drinking (even alcohol) are permitted.
And best of all, no panhandlers, people selling candy or any of the other nonsense that goes on underground. I don't care how frequent the subways run. Half the time, they crawl, so your commute is doubled on what is supposed to be an "express train". The LIRR may not run as frequently, but who cares? If you know the schedule, the trains are prompt. It's MUCH better than the subway, which is terribly overrated IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 01:05 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,867,715 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
And best of all, no panhandlers, people selling candy or any of the other nonsense that goes on underground. I don't care how frequent the subways run. Half the time, they crawl, so your commute is doubled on what is supposed to be an "express train". The LIRR may not run as frequently, but who cares? If you know the schedule, the trains are prompt. It's MUCH better than the subway, which is terribly overrated IMO.
Where did you say you live? Sounds like Manhattan/the subway in general bothers you to the extreme. I've never seen such an exaggeration on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 01:23 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,587 posts, read 2,703,917 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Where did you say you live? Sounds like Manhattan/the subway in general bothers you to the extreme. I've never seen such an exaggeration on here.
I never did... But yes please tell me what the exaggeration is because with record homelessness in NYC, where do you think those people go? They don't just disappear. There was just a story out not too long ago on the news about how donations are down for the Salvation Army and one lady commented on how it could be because so many people have their hand out begging everywhere you go in Manhattan. I think you just live in your own world with your head in the clouds to really see what is going on. Are you even from NYC? The transplants in general seem to think all of this is just sooo groovy coming from such boring places. They tend to also give on the subway when people are panhandling which only encourages it even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top