U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 08:14 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,416,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
This ^^^

Plus there's nothing attractive about being a professional in your 30's and living with roommates as if you're still in college.
The key is finding the dumb naive 25 year old girl working in media that still thinks room shares are cool which isn't such a bad thing if you can find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 08:21 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,862,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
This ^^^

Plus there's nothing attractive about being a professional in your 30's and living with roommates as if you're still in college.
Is that why so many in NYC have roommates?

Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,529,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is that why so many in NYC have roommates?
So many here have roommates because they can't afford to live on their own. It's not by choice.

Seems to be the "cool" thing to do if you're a hipster or implant.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 AM

753 posts, read 270,213 times
There's a huge difference between living in Manhattan and the outer boroughs. I would go with your first instinct and live in Manhattan for at least your first year. There are far more amenities. Also besides a shorter commute, there's value in being able to hop into a cab at anytime to go out or get home.

As far as neighborhoods, the ideal ones would be downtown where there are a lot of great restaurants and nightlife. Also Williamsburg in Brooklyn. But these areas might not be feasible based on your budget. Check out the Streeteasy website to see available listings at your price point.

Consider Hell's Kitchen...it's on the west side and has a large number of young professionals and decent restaurants and nightlife. A few months ago, I was working with a broker in Queens who also covered the Hell's Kitchen area and he told me that he had a few apartments under $2,000 there. Otherwise, look into the UWS and UES...these areas are more residential and generally cheaper than downtown but still have a ton of amenities. Less nightlife but you're only a short cab ride away.

Finally, on the living alone vs. roommate issue, it's a personal choice. I would go with living solo since you can afford it. Roommates are also risky if you aren't already close friends with them. However, if you really want to live in a trendy area and/or in a nice building, then you might not have a choice.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,665,985 times
Don't listen to the naysayers. Manhattan is a great place to live. Walking to work is the best. I did it for a number of years.

I was just helping a friend find a studio in Murray Hill. She found something she likes for $1,995 that has an elevator and laundry room (those were her musts). If you don't mind a walkup and taking your laundry down the street to do, it will be cheaper. For anything modern and somewhat spacious, you will pay $2,150 a month or more.

If I were you, I would look on Streeteasy.com and choose the areas of Chelsea, Murray Hill (which has a lot of people your age or younger; the bar scene can get rowdy, but can be avoided), Kips Bay, Flatiron, Midtown South (some sketchy parts though), NoMad, Union Square, and Gramercy Park. You can also search for West Village if you like. The East Village is overpriced in my opinion and not that nice.

These are all expensive areas. The newer buildings with lots of amenities will be out of your price range. On Streeteasy you can specify a price range easily. Also, I like Streeteasy because it's pretty strict about neighborhoods. If you put in Kips Bay, it won't give you something far afield.

Best of luck! Plenty of people come to New York earning a lot less, and they get by.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 AM

849 posts, read 453,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
There's a huge difference between living in Manhattan and the outer boroughs. I would go with your first instinct and live in Manhattan for at least your first year. There are far more amenities. Also besides a shorter commute, there's value in being able to hop into a cab at anytime to go out or get home.

As far as neighborhoods, the ideal ones would be downtown where there are a lot of great restaurants and nightlife. Also Williamsburg in Brooklyn. But these areas might not be feasible based on your budget. Check out the Streeteasy website to see available listings at your price point.

Consider Hell's Kitchen...it's on the west side and has a large number of young professionals and decent restaurants and nightlife. A few months ago, I was working with a broker in Queens who also covered the Hell's Kitchen area and he told me that he had a few apartments under $2,000 there. Otherwise, look into the UWS and UES...these areas are more residential and generally cheaper than downtown but still have a ton of amenities. Less nightlife but you're only a short cab ride away.

Finally, on the living alone vs. roommate issue, it's a personal choice. I would go with living solo since you can afford it. Roommates are also risky if you aren't already close friends with them. However, if you really want to live in a trendy area and/or in a nice building, then you might not have a choice.
I'd agree with this.

Live in the place you MOST want to live in for the first year's lease, even if you are paying more than you think. You can probably manage it for just one year. Then aftewards, you'll have got it out of your system and will move out to queens or somewhere more affordable with no "but what if??" regrets.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM

1,843 posts, read 1,092,495 times
Lol so much Manhattan hate. I prefer it over living in Brooklyn and I've been here for 7 years, Brooklyn for 4, Manhattan for 3, but that's my two cents. I pay $1600 to live in my own studio and I love it and where I live, though I want to buy and THAT is oppressive. I could also get a 1bd for $1900 over on Forsyth St, but I'd rather not pay more in rent.

I'd say for rooftop bars and a younger scene, Meatpacking District up to Columbus Circle would be ideal. Rooftop bars aren't as proliferate on the East Side until you hit the 30s, but it's too jockey in Murray Hill and the crowd is a bit older in the 50s. The 50s is very nice though and I'm fond of the Totto Ramen after midnight as this guy came all the way from Hokkaido to make probably the best ramen I've ever had in the states. Again, he only works after midnight, so I like to go to the Japanese BBQ to get $2.5 Sapporo as they have happy hour from 10p-2a every day.

I'll end this with the Manhattan lifestyle is MUCH different even in this day and age to the rest of the city and definitely to the rest of America. Be it negative or positive for people is up to them. It is what you make of it.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:26 AM

601 posts, read 942,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
In today's NYC of ubiquitous Uber/Lyft/et all, the whole cab thing isn't the advantage it used to be. FWIW. Which isn't an argument against Manhattan per se, I'm just sayin'. Also, at the budget level stated, I'm not sure OP is going to be cabbing it a lot anyhow. FWIW.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,665,985 times
Uber is losing money hand over fist, and at some point the investors will object to this business plan. I read the other day that the price of a ride on Uber covers only 40% of the actual cost. So basing a lifestyle on Uber and Lyft, et al., is risky, in my opinion. If these services survive, they will be much more expensive.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:32 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,862,532 times
I live on the UWS and I wouldn't live anywhere else. If I moved, it'd be within Manhattan. Just my 2 cents. You'll know right away whether Manhattan is for you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or