U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:03 PM

4,912 posts, read 5,522,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't think you're describing Manhattan here.
I work in Manhattan. Come to Midtown lately? I literally have to step over homeless folks on my way out of the subway station.

Yes I am describing manhattan. Aside from maybe a very small number of areas, Manhattan is a filthy congested city with trash and homeless vagrants almost everywhere you look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 02:05 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I would say that a lot of the UWS is dirty. I'm there regularly and see it. Of course the doorman buildings have cleaner areas, but there are plenty of apartment buildings that are just walk-ups without such amenities, even if they have been gutted down to the studs, as is the case with our friends' building. There's also a high concentration of restaurants, which is great in terms of amenities, but that also means lots of garbage and things spilled everywhere. Columbus, Amsterdam and Broadway all come to mind. If you're on West End Avenue or Central Park West, that's generally clean, but it should be. Less foot traffic and most of it is residential with doorman buildings.
I guess I just don't notice the dirtiness that much then. It's a city. I'm on Amsterdam. I live in a walk-up too. I love where I live and wouldn't leave for the world. To each their own.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:05 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,623,683 times
For point of reference my office is across the street from flatiron building and i live on the myrtle/wycoff stop in bushwick brooklyn. It only takes me 28 mins.

With your budget and If you are cool with 20 mins commute you can live in the uws in manahttan, or nearby in murray hill, kips bay. Im an agent so your budget is workable in the places i mentioned. Even some parts of hells kitchen would work price wise.

Dont make the mistake of "i want to walk to work" so many great areas in nyc to live and play in that you can go anywhere in 5-30 mins on foot, subway, car, etc.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,623,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I would say that a lot of the UWS is dirty. I'm there regularly and see it. Of course the doorman buildings have cleaner areas, but there are plenty of apartment buildings that are just walk-ups without such amenities, even if they have been gutted down to the studs, as is the case with our friends' building. There's also a high concentration of restaurants, which is great in terms of amenities, but that also means lots of garbage and things spilled everywhere. Columbus, Amsterdam and Broadway all come to mind. If you're on West End Avenue or Central Park West, that's generally clean, but it should be. Less foot traffic and most of it is residential with doorman buildings.
After this comment no one should take your "expert opinion" seriously.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:07 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I don't really get it either. Guess some people really can't stand Manhattan!

Old 12-22-2016, 02:10 PM

4,912 posts, read 5,522,333 times
Quote:
For point of reference my office is across the street from flatiron building and i live on the myrtle/wycoff stop in bushwick brooklyn. It only takes me 28 mins.

With your budget and If you are cool with 20 mins commute you can live in the uws in manahttan, or nearby in murray hill, kips bay. Im an agent so your budget is workable in the places i mentioned. Even some parts of hells kitchen would work price wise.

Dont make the mistake of "i want to walk to work" so many great areas in nyc to live and play in that you can go anywhere in 5-30 mins on foot, subway, car, etc.
I lived in the East Village for 30yrs. Moved out to queens 6yrs ago. My commute time to work from Queens is the same as it was from the East village due to the proximity of the subway stops from both residences.

Same commute time and I now pay half of what it would cost me to live in Manhattan.

I know people who come in from parts of NJ or Westchester county who have shorter commute times than those who live within the 5 boroughs including Manhattan.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:10 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I work in Manhattan. Come to Midtown lately? I literally have to step over homeless folks on my way out of the subway station.

Yes I am describing manhattan. Aside from maybe a very small number of areas, Manhattan is a filthy congested city with trash and homeless vagrants almost everywhere you look.
I'm almost never in Midtown, so there you go. Sounds like our experiences are vastly different. Good thing you don't live in Manhattan!

Old 12-22-2016, 02:19 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Quote:
Oh really? And what exactly is "inaccurate"? You're a real estate broker aren't you? Real estate brokers tend to view everything as rosy.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 PM

17 posts, read 17,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
The 50s is very nice though and I'm fond of the Totto Ramen after midnight as this guy came all the way from Hokkaido to make probably the best ramen I've ever had in the states. Again, he only works after midnight, so I like to go to the Japanese BBQ to get $2.5 Sapporo as they have happy hour from 10p-2a every day.
What place? I looked up Totto Ramen (on 52nd st) and apparently their hours are only until 11 30pm?

Your description sounds like another very low key Japanese place down in 42nd that has ramen and some other non-omakase items (but you either have to know what to order, or know Japanese, as the staff knows only little English) and is open pretty late (until 3am, if I recall?)

Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
The sleep issue has nothing to do with the neighborhood - it's a matter of the particular apartment in the particular building - how the building is constructed, what your next-door neighbors are like, what your apartment faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or