U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 02:22 AM

7 posts, read 4,281 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a job offer in the Flatiron District with a salary of 90K. I'm a 31 year old single straight white male with no pets from Southern California.

Since my salary is 90K, the 40x rule puts me at max 2250/month for rent, and I'm looking specifically for studios, my roommate days are behind me I think. Also it would be awesome to be able to walk to work, but it's not a deal breaker if I can't. I'm open to most areas of Manhattan and north-west Brooklyn.

I like alcohol but not drinking to excess, and for nightlife I prefer lounges and rooftop bars, the types of places that play chill deep house/electronic music, I don't really like dive bars or clubs or live music venues where you can't hear yourself talk. In general I'd prefer a place with a decent number of late 20s to early 30s single yuppies for the purposes of dating and growing my professional network.

I don't care about museums or the art scene, but I would like to be near a variety of good restaurants/food options. I am interested in the local skateboarding scene however (not long boarding), and sometimes I drink Hennessy and make booty calls.

Also sleep is important, I don't mind the usual city noises, but I don't want to live in a place that's party central 7 nights a week, and I guess I would prefer pre-war or a high floor to help insulate myself from noise at night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:04 AM

299 posts, read 492,328 times
That salary is going to get you a paycheck to paycheck existence living by yourself in Manhattan.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:26 AM

4,920 posts, read 5,539,010 times
U want my advice?....Avoid living in Manhattan. Its overrated, overpriced, filthy, congested and plagued with homeless everywhere you turn. For what you're willing to pay in rent you can buy yourself a coop/condo just 30 minutes north of the city in Westchester County and commute into the city via Metro North. Much better quality of life.

You're willing to pay $2250 for a studio for the privilege ( if that's what you want to call it) of living in Manhattan. I live in a 2br apt in Queens with parking for both of my vehicles and a back yard and get to work in 40 minutes. I pay about half of what you're willing to pay.

Just because you can afford the max doesnt mean you should aim for paying the max. My wife and I make roughly 200k/year combined. We could easily afford to live in Manhattan. Especially since we dont have children. But why? We work in Manhattan and prefer to go home to somewhere that's NOT manhattan and enjoy the tranquility of not dealing with that chaotic city. Plus it gives us the opportunity to have our own vehicles for wknd trips or after work errands.

Last edited by louie0406; 12-22-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 AM

Thanks Ballervision and louie0406 for both of your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
You're willing to pay $2250 for a studio for the privilege ( if that's what you want to call it) of living in Manhattan. I live in a 2br apt in Queens with parking for both of my vehicles and a back yard and get to work in 40 minutes. I pay about half of what you're willing to pay.
I guess I should be clear, I'm not necessarily intending to spend 2250/month on rent, that's just my max allowable based on the 40x rule. I suppose I'm open to getting a 2br/1bath, but I would like to live in a place with some hustle and bustle where I can meet lots of people, since I'm moving to the city with basically no social network whatsoever.

You have a wife and a backyard and are somewhat settled down, that's not really the stage of life I'm currently in.

Last edited by cocojambles; 12-22-2016 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 08:08 AM

2,929 posts, read 1,197,779 times
Long Island City might work for you, there are many buildings by Gantry Park and a ferry to take you across the river into manhattan. There is also the 7 train nearby taking you to Grand Central. Apartments are for sale or in that price range for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Sunnyside,Woodside and jackson heights will put you in a good area with the amenities you seek, and nice 1 br for $1700 a month.

For the skateboarding activities, map out the skate parks to get an idea of how to get there. NYC is not as big on skateboarding like home, but there are fans here.

Like mentioned before, you may want a car to get around, and parking is way easier in queens than in Manhattan.Californians are big in car culture, is that a thing you into?

As for going out to drink eat hangout. Queens offers so many different cultures and there are too many places to try. Astoria, sunnyside,jackson heights, forest hills are popular locations for locals .

I dont like Manhattan at all for a place to live. If i have to be in manhatan, i can take the very solid subway and bus system, or ride a bike across the bridge.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 AM

LIC , over by Gantry Park is loaded with professionals in your age group.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocojambles View Post
I guess I should be clear, I'm not necessarily intending to spend 2250/month on rent, that's just my max allowable based on the 40x rule. I suppose I'm open to getting a 2br/1bath, but I would like to live in a place with some hustle and bustle where I can meet lots of people, since I'm moving to the city with basically no social network whatsoever.

You have a wife and a backyard and are somewhat settled down, that's not really the stage of life I'm currently in.
Understood. Since you'll be working in the flatiron district, you may want to look at the West Village or Chelsea then. Expect to pay that $2250 though.

If you want to have a car you can forget about living in Manhattan all together. Look into Astoria Queens or LIC. Even those neighborhoods will pose a challenge when it comes to finding parking for your car.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM

So it looks like if I acquiesce on the living alone part and instead opt for a 2bd/1bath, then I could get something decent on the west side of Manhattan below 23rd Street for 1500/month (3000/month total). Maybe that would be a better option.

I guess I didn't realize how much of a premium one pays to live alone, even in a studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
For the skateboarding activities, map out the skate parks to get an idea of how to get there. NYC is not as big on skateboarding like home, but there are fans here.

Like mentioned before, you may want a car to get around, and parking is way easier in queens than in Manhattan.Californians are big in car culture, is that a thing you into?
I'm actually not that into cars and am looking forward to not having one in NYC, as far as skateparks I was hoping to be relatively close to LES skatepark, but it looks like there are a bunch in Manhattan so where ever I live I'll probably be close to one or two of them.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:53 AM

Good luck with your search.

Some of us have been living here a while now, and offer what we know.

Sharing an apartment vs heading over from my own place is not a hard decision . When I bring company over to do my "thing" it sure is nice to walk around the apartment in my undies.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Good luck with your search.

Some of us have been living here a while now, and offer what we know.

Sharing an apartment vs heading over from my own place is not a hard decision . When I bring company over to do my "thing" it sure is nice to walk around the apartment in my undies.
This ^^^

Plus there's nothing attractive about being a professional in your 30's and living with roommates as if you're still in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or