U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 08:08 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,561 posts, read 624,180 times

Advertisements

On my last trip to NYC I walked from the West Village at Rockbar on Christopher St. to the bronze statues of the dogs with the cameras. I looked down the street ahead of me where I would have continued to walk and the neighborhood looked more residential from what I could see.

Is where I left off at the dog statues the rough division between East and West Village?

Am I correct in my assumption that East Village is more residential or is it a similar mix as is in the West Village?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 08:27 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,066,098 times
I love both, but I think I might like the East village slightly more. I wouldn't really call EV a residential neighborhood, but it's probably more residential than WV, and definitely more affordable. EV has a really cool bar/nightlife scene and some of the best streetart in NYC. EV is grittier too. And EV nowadays extends all the way into alphabet city too.

I really have no idea what you're talking about with the dog camera statues, but maybe I'd know if I saw it.The village borders are something like this:

East village = East of Broadway
Greenwich Village = West of Broadway
West village (Western portion of Greenwich village) = west of Sixth Ave

Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
I definitely like the East Village much more. But I know plenty of folks who prefer the West. All depends on what interests you I guess.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM

849 posts, read 451,935 times
If I could afford to live down there, I"d definitely live on the west side of the village. Nice clean streets, less NYU kids (somewhat), etc

Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I love both, but I think I might like the East village slightly more. I wouldn't really call EV a residential neighborhood, but it's probably more residential than WV, and definitely more affordable. EV has a really cool bar/nightlife scene and some of the best streetart in NYC. EV is grittier too. And EV nowadays extends all the way into alphabet city too.

I really have no idea what you're talking about with the dog camera statues, but maybe I'd know if I saw it.The village borders are something like this:

East village = East of Broadway
Greenwich Village = West of Broadway
West village (Western portion of Greenwich village) = west of Sixth Ave

Thanks!

I looked up the dogs. Here they are...

The Paparazzi Dogs Arrive in Greenwich Village | Untapped Cities

Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,088,246 times
That's Greenwich Village, you have to go a good bit farther to hit East Village. You literally crossed the border at 6th Ave. I'd also say that there's a lot more nightlife in East Village vs West Village, and West Village is very posh.

I like both, I've been to the Rockbar when they had Star Wars burlesque on May the 5th be With You. I generally prefer East Village as it's cheaper, but if I had unlimited money I'd live on one of the beautiful residential blocks in West Village. West 4th St Station is also insanely convenient (to me). East Village train access kinda blows, though that's because I don't like the Lexington line. I'm happy to be here south of Houston though, Delancey St + Grand St stations fit my needs.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Look forward to exploring the Village more on next trip in April. Love street art, so East Village sounds great.

Here is something from the West Village.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...teoli-jr-m.jpg

Is the Village still considered a deal for rent compared to other parts of NYC? Do you still have many artists and bohemians living there or is it just for the 'rich' ones?

Old 12-22-2016, 03:07 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,066,098 times
Just FYI - "The Village" usually refers to just Greenwich village, not the East village. But The village (Greenwich) is not cheap at all. One of the most expensive places in NYC nowadays.

In the East village you might be able to find "cheap" (by Lower Manhattan standards) rents, especially in Alphabet city area EV has a lot of artists and young people still

Old 12-22-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Just FYI - "The Village" usually refers to just Greenwich village, not the East village. But The village (Greenwich) is not cheap at all. One of the most expensive places in NYC nowadays.

In the East village you might be able to find "cheap" (by Lower Manhattan standards) rents, especially in Alphabet city area EV has a lot of artists and young people still
Are East Village, West Village and Greenwich Village all separate areas then? Wouldn't the East and West make the whole of Greenwich Village or is there more to it?

Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Are East Village, West Village and Greenwich Village all separate areas then? Wouldn't the East and West make the whole of Greenwich Village or is there more to it?

Greenwich Village or "The Village" proper is bounded by 14th Street to the north, Hudson Street to the outh, and Hudson River (east), with Broadway being the western border.

Unlike Manhattan north of 14th Street where Fifth Avenue is the dividing line between "east" and "west" sides, because Greenwich Village was settled before the street grid plan was implemented it was allowed to remain as it was. As such Broadway is the dividing line between East Village and West Village

West Village is a sub-neighborhood of Greenwich Village whose boundary starts varies upon whom you ask; some say it begins at Sixth Avenue going west, others Seventh Avenue. Am voting for Seventh Avenue as the former Saint Vincent's hospital on Seventh Avenue was historically referred to as being in "Greenwich Village".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Village

It has only been within the past fifty years or so the area east of Broadway has been called "East Village". Prior to this the area was simply considered part of the Lower East Side.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Village,_Manhattan

Greenwich Village was wealthy area back in the day, especially from Fifth Avenue going north to 14th Street from Washington Square Park, Hence all the lovely townhouses, mansions and apartment buildings for the "wealthy". This feeling of "wealth" extends over to Broadway where you can still see traces. Sixth Avenue to the west once had an elevated subway train line and was mainly commercial. Further west one went things were mixed, but that part of West Village had a strong Irish and Italian immigrant community (hence all the Catholic churches and one hospital).

Until the 1970's Manhattan still had very active docks/shipping on the Hudson River, and manufacturing, warehouses and other such commerce going from West Street east until about 8th Avenue. So while the area was "rich" in some respects, again it had plenty of working and middle class families.

Fast forward to now entire Greenwich Village is basically wealthy. Unless someone happened to move there decades ago and is living in a "cheap" rent controlled apartment you aren't going to find any such housing down there any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City