Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:44 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So I am a recent transplant to NYC. Late 30's. Originally from South. My dream was always to live in New York City. Well I finally landed a good paying job and decided to make the move in hopes of calling the place home for a while.

I love the city and all that it has to offer. Planned to stay here for 4-5 years....date...explore...and build financially.

However, it has finally hit me that this place is absolutely too expensive for me to live the kind of life that i want to live. I am priced out of most neighborhoods that I want to live in. I have a car (need it for work) which is a constant money pit. I make good money, but not enough to not need to budget. Reality has hit me that on my salary, living comfortably in NYC is not a long term reality unless I want to live with roommates for the next few years.

Do any of you have advice on what a person in my situation can do to make the most of my time here.

As I mentioned earlier, my original plan was to stay 4-5 years. However, my perception has changed and I now see myself being here max of 2 years, before moving to a cheaper cost of living city.

Any suggestions on what can I do to make the most of my short time here in NYC? Just want to enjoy my time here and leave with positive thoughts.

Last edited by usamathman; 12-22-2016 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:03 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Find a cheaper neighborhood. There might be one that you're pleasantly surprised by.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:32 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Move to a neighborhood just over any bridge , Brookyn or Queens. At least you wont have to deal with room mates. Find a new neighborhood to call home. Prices are cheaper for housing, groceries, and eating out.

If your car is a money pit, research for a reliable used car. Go built in Japan. As for driving to work, there are parts of Queens very accessible to all bridges. As for Brookyn, that BQE really sucks, sorry.

There are parts of the outer Borough that can cheer you up , and leave you in good company.

Where are you located now, in Manhattan?

Old 12-23-2016, 12:56 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hi all,

So I am a recent transplant to NYC. Late 30's. Originally from South. My dream was always to live in New York City. Well I finally landed a good paying job and decided to make the move in hopes of calling the place home for a while.

I love the city and all that it has to offer. Planned to stay here for 4-5 years....date...explore...and build financially.

However, it has finally hit me that this place is absolutely too expensive for me to live the kind of life that i want to live. I am priced out of most neighborhoods that I want to live in. I have a car (need it for work) which is a constant money pit. I make good money, but not enough to not need to budget. Reality has hit me that on my salary, living comfortably in NYC is not a long term reality unless I want to live with roommates for the next few years.

Do any of you have advice on what a person in my situation can do to make the most of my time here.

As I mentioned earlier, my original plan was to stay 4-5 years. However, my perception has changed and I now see myself being here max of 2 years, before moving to a cheaper cost of living city.

Any suggestions on what can I do to make the most of my short time here in NYC? Just want to enjoy my time here and leave with positive thoughts.
I thought you were in Dallas?

Old 12-23-2016, 06:17 AM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
Bad/undesirable/whatever neighborhoods in NYC are still pretty safe nowadays, maybe consider one of them to save money.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:20 AM

115 posts, read 104,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hi all,

You already know what your options are. You can:

1. Move to cheaper neighborhood.
2. Reduce your expenses.
3. Get a roommate to fulfill #2 above.
4. Leave the City to a close suburb (Yonkers, Jersey City). You can still come into NYC when needed.

I mean, create positive experiences with people who are around you if you want to leave with positive thoughts. You are very much in control of the company you keep. No one is going to create positive thoughts for you.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:15 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
I don't get how these posters want you to live a lesser lifestyle and expect that to make your NYC experience better.

Suggestions :

Borrow a bit if you must and live up the time you have. A 12,000 dollar loan (finance your car?) could equate to 500 more a month over the next two years to help diffuse those things that bother you, allot for special weekends with show tickets + taxi cush fund so you can deal with the trains less.

Try your hardest to find a cheaper lodging for your car. Check craigslist or apply for parking at your closest NYCHA. That bill can come down considerably.

Get a huge list of things you want to do and see in New York, maybe a visual wall map- cross them off as they come, and remember you can come back to do others.

You're in a sort of strange spot though. You say your job is well paying, but not enough where you don't have to manage money. To me, that spot in New York is over 120K, but below 200K. You really could make ends meet long term on that.
If you're making far less than that, you're probably not really making 'good money'.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,105 times
Um move...

Old 12-23-2016, 08:11 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
You need the car for work? You should live in one of the outer boroughs then. There are some affordable places, just need to look and compromise.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-23-2016, 08:15 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
If you really like it here, you can make it work. I make far less than what anyone would recommend living in NYC on, but I live comfortably and also in my preferred area. People leave or stay in NYC all the time because they deem those sacrifices to be not worth it or worth it. If you're not willing to make some sacrifices, then maybe you don't love this city as much as you thought. Many stay here, despite some inconveniences/sacrifices in certain aspects of their life, because of how much they love living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City