Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Jewish people didn't immigrate here from Israel generally, generally they came from Central and Eastern Europe. Not sure how many people have family in Israel.
Very true. Most American Jews came here to America from central and eastern Europe. Why? Austrian empire , Russian empire , nazi Germany and Soviet Union had severe penalties against Jews. This causes a wave of Jewish migration to the states during from the 1860s all the way up to the end of the cold war. I met Jews who fled the Soviet Union and came to America as refugees.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Didn't Obama also just promise the Israelis like $3bil/year for the next 10?
It was a COL adjustment to a Treaty the US created and is part of. All the funds now have to spent in the US. If Obama had tried to zero it out, the ripple effect would be immediately felt in the US by anyone connect to the military sector. Think about this for a moment; If the company you worked for lost a $3.1 Billion yearly contract, how many people would have their employment terminated?

Old 12-23-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Very true. Most American Jews came here to America from central and eastern Europe. Why? Austrian empire , Russian empire , nazi Germany and Soviet Union had severe penalties against Jews. This causes a wave of Jewish migration to the states during from the 1860s all the way up to the end of the cold war. I met Jews who fled the Soviet Union and came to America as refugees.
You may want to research a little more as the original Jews were Sephardic and not Ashkenazi.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You may want to research a little more as the original Jews were Sephardic and not Ashkenazi.
Dude. Wtf are you talking about. I'm talking about the origin of American Jews which are overwhelmingly Ashkenazi. And from central and. Eastern Europe. I did not mention the origins of Jews. In matter of fact Sephardic Jews is not the oldest. It's Mizrahi Jews which lived throughout the middle east and thr Levant for centuries. Sephardic Jews originated from the Iberian peninsula in the city of toledo.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Dude. Wtf are you talking about. I'm talking about the origin of American Jews which are overwhelmingly Ashkenazi. And from central and. Eastern Europe. I did not mention the origins of Jews. In matter of fact Sephardic Jews is not the oldest. It's Mizrahi Jews which lived throughout the middle east and thr Levant for centuries. Sephardic Jews originated from the Iberian peninsula in the city of toledo.
The American Jews in the early days of the US were Sephardic. Ashkenazi came later and flooded the US. The Mizrahi may be the oldest group but have relatively nothing to do with the US (except for the Syrians all over NYC).

Old 12-23-2016, 11:24 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
President Obama used his lame-duck period in office for a major anti-Israel action, by not providing the customary U.S. veto to this resolution.

US abstains as UN demands end to Israeli settlements
US abstains as UN demands end to Israeli settlements - CNNPolitics.com

So, Have the Democrats just lost it's footing in NYC?
I only want them to vote republican in nyc. I want deblasio out. Vote in a capable administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Hasids overwhelming vote Republican.
Hasids are too clannish. They're like orthodox muslims.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
The American Jews in the early days of the US were Sephardic. Ashkenazi came later and flooded the US. The Mizrahi may be the oldest group but have relatively nothing to do with the US (except for the Syrians all over NYC).
Of course Sephardic were the first to come to the United States. Here in NYC, Portuguese Jews of Sephardic origin landed in NYC from a Dutch colony in Brazil called recife. Also Sephardic Jews known as conversos came to America on Spanish settlements in the Continental USA such as Florida for example. One of the founders of NY stock market is a Sephardic Jew named Gomez during the 18th century.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I only want them to vote republican in nyc. I want deblasio out. Vote in a capable administrator.

Hasids are too clannish. They're like orthodox muslims.
If you want to win any election in NYC. The biggest voting blocks are blacks and Jews. Yeah, ugh ugh. Black and Jewish. Black and Jewish, black and Jewish, black and Jewish. If I was running for mayor, on day one I'm going to synagogue and a Baptist church.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
If you want to win any election in NYC. The biggest voting blocks are blacks and Jews. Yeah, ugh ugh. Black and Jewish. Black and Jewish, black and Jewish, black and Jewish. If I was running for mayor, on day one I'm going to synagogue and a Baptist church.
Not all Black people are Baptist or even Christian, especially once you consider all the Black immigrants.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:40 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
False, the majority of Jews still have ties and family back in Isreal. Jews are complete idiots to support Obama and the Democrat Party. Thats like Jews supporting Hitler!
*Wrong*

You don't know WTF you are talking about.

State of Israel didn't exist until after WWII and there were plenty of Jews both from western and eastern Europe here long before that event.

The Growing Gap Between Israel And American Jews - Moment Magazine

https://newrepublic.com/article/1213...an-jews-Israel

Pew Study of Israel Shows a Nation Fractured Into

Why Israeli Jews are Conservative and American Jews are Leftist | Frontpage Mag

https://972mag.com/fewer-british-jew...-shows/113858/

And so it goes..

Jews in the west including Europe and North America range the gamut, but most if not a majority have nil to nothing to do with Israel in terms of "going to see family or whatever". Any family they do have there went recently or perhaps in the upheavals post WWII and or after.

Main reason Jews in Europe are going to Israel (especially from France) is they cannot get into the USA, and thus Israel (always starved for and in desperate need) of Jewish migrants welcomes them with open arms. OTOH it could take years, a decade or longer to immigrate to the USA and with current terror/hate against Jews in parts of Europe (again see France) many Jews feel they just don't have that kind of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City