Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:12 PM

453 posts, read 317,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
I'm referring to rentals. Not properties for sale.
you have to do witchcraft to get a one bed for less than 1700 in Harlem, or 2k in west Harlem. you are completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 02:14 PM

453 posts, read 317,797 times
Quote:
@OP,

I called the free clinic and asked if they still offer services on 125th street by Marcus Garvey park and they do. I asked if they'll ever offer free services in a safe area like 55th and Madison or 23rd and Park. The response was: we only offer our services in impoverished neighborhoods where individual incomes are extremely low and one doesn't have access to medical benefits.

Given that response, it leads me to believe Harlem is not gentrified as many like to believe. I went browsing online and found many 2 bedrooms under 1K which indicates lower rent prices in exchange for safety concerns. You don't find those prices in Soho or Central Park west unless one wins a housing lottery.

Thanks for clarifying the post was about real estate for sale. I missed that part.
there is absolutely no way thats true. its havent been true in more than 20 years. a 2 bed for less than 1k jajajajajajaja not even in the middle of the crack epidemic.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:39 AM

243 posts, read 310,142 times
It is very true. Everyone says rents are based on what the market allows and supply and demand. They also keep failing to mention another component: Rent is also based on how unsafe a neighborhood is. Lower rents are expected in bad neighborhoods in exchange for your safety.

Frankly, it's very offensive. It is literally saying living with certain ethnicities are cheaper while others cost more. Same thing with gentrification. It has negative connotations. No reason why rents should be under 1K cause my next door neighbor uses vaseline, covers the body in shea coco butter, and is struggling to make ends meet while pregnant at 19 and working as a barista.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,733,403 times
Can't you take your weird racist fantasies off to some Trump forum or something?

Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 PM

ANYWAY. The Parkadon people got in touch to clarify some things and request a few more documents. I have to say I was much impressed by their professionalism as compared to that of Breaking Ground...their document list had an error and when I pointed that out to them (because they said I was "missing" a document that it didn't actually ask for), they...apologized and said they'd fix it! Imagine!

Still have huge doubts about that particular neighborhood, though...it's really one of the worst in Harlem in terms of shopping, etc. And because there are so many superblocks there (Lincoln Houses, Savoy Park, Lenox Terrace), seems like there are fewer opportunities for redevelopment.

Has anyone actually succeeded in buying one of these affordable units?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
@OP,

But everything in Harlem is so cheap why would a lottery even matter? It is a bad area and exchange, rents are cheap because there are safety concerns. Everything in Harlem is under 1K. Not sure why a lottery is even a matter of discussion for that neighborhood.
Ok yea you’re trolling

The rent in Harlem for a 1 bed is well over 1k, 2 and 3 beds in Harlem are goin for 3 to 4K. Even more. This ain’t even a rental building. You clearly know nothing about Harlem

Old 05-16-2018, 02:26 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
ANYWAY. The Parkadon people got in touch to clarify some things and request a few more documents. I have to say I was much impressed by their professionalism as compared to that of Breaking Ground...their document list had an error and when I pointed that out to them (because they said I was "missing" a document that it didn't actually ask for), they...apologized and said they'd fix it! Imagine!

Still have huge doubts about that particular neighborhood, though...it's really one of the worst in Harlem in terms of shopping, etc. And because there are so many superblocks there (Lincoln Houses, Savoy Park, Lenox Terrace), seems like there are fewer opportunities for redevelopment.

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that a major developer at any time can swoop down and buy entire lots of land, kick people out of their residences and redevelop in a whim

Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM

Entire lots! Oh my!

The Lincoln Houses aren't going on the market. And someone buying huge, long-established, and partially rent-regulated complexes like SP or LT would be almost as big a deal as the Stuy Town sale...not something to base your future planning on.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 AM

174 posts, read 187,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post

I got one. Been in contract since February.. Just waiting for closing.

As for the neighborhood, there's new stuff popping up all over. Just a block over on 7th, there are two new condo buildings going up within what.. a 3 block span? And it's not like it's that far to get down to 130th or so, where all the restaurants start to pop up. For me personally, as native NYer, the 2018 version of 139th St doesn't scare me in the least. I remember the 1997 version.

But that's obviously just my own personal thing. If you're a little more squeamish, you've gotta do what works for you.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:40 AM

It's not really squeamishness or fear (though I admit I'd like it better with an actual doorman)...I've lived further north than this! I just find that whole corner by the river pretty dreary and limited in its options. Don't want to walk eight or nine blocks to a drugstore (and, yeah, I'd like some dining options nearby besides just Kennedy's). But I haven't dropped out yet...

What size unit did you get? How does the place look? If you don't mind my asking, did they have a preferred lender?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City