Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 PM

33,866 posts, read 47,070,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
With all these states legalizing marijuana, NY should legalizing marijuana. They should legalize prostitution,
This will solve all of NY's problems. We have enough farmland upstate to grow it. Combined with the harlots, we probably would see close to 1B in tax revenue the first year.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,204,074 times
I think I will just gamble all my money away before retirement

if i hit it big, i'll move out of state

if i lose the shirt off my back, I will live in a hotel room paid for by taxpayers

Old 01-03-2017, 09:26 PM

14,020 posts, read 13,838,474 times
It going get worst especially those tourists from around world on New Years Eve and New Year Day in Time Square area thinking "I want move to this city". They willing to pay $3000-$4,000 to live in NYC landlord would raise rent on current resident to bring in wealthy France, Tokyo, Ohio residents.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,041,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayette.ms. View Post
????.. thats like part of the reason nyc is so great..
NYC is great due to the immense opportunities that it provides those that work hard and/or are talented. It's not great because of leeches coming hear freeloading.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:44 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayette.ms. View Post
Many or most big major popular cities are like that....
Which ones exactly?
Most large US cities don't have a consent decree situation requiring them to provide shelter to any homeless person who comes to the city. So when you say most " big major popular cities" (whatever the hell that means) - which ones exactly are you talking about?

Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,081,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
According to the NY Times, the City is substantially expanding it's renting out hotel rooms for homeless people. The hotel rooms rented out are not SROs, they are budget hotels that will likely end up becoming SROs as this trend continues.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/ny...ty-hotels.html

"The increase has been stark: About 12 percent of the total homeless population is now being housed in hotel rooms, compared with just 4 percent in January.

On Jan. 1, the city was using 508 hotel rooms for homeless families with children, comprising 1,237 people, according to the Department of Homeless Services. On Nov. 30, 2,418 rooms were being rented for families with children, amounting to 5,798 people.

Now, the city plans to expand its hotel portfolio for homeless families by up to 436 rooms, with 225 of them reserved for families without minor children — the first time the city has earmarked hotel rooms for such families, officials said. The city also plans to add 100 or more hotel rooms for homeless individuals."

But look at this.
"Cluster housing is considered problematic because it takes affordable apartments off the market and, since the apartments are scattered, it can be difficult to get adequate services to families. On Wednesday, two young girls whose family was placed by the city in a cluster apartment died, apparently after being burned by steam from a radiator."

The city itself admits that taking apartments and turning them into WELFARE apartments is problematic because it takes AFFORDABLE APARTMENTS off the MARKET for working people.

My solution? With all these states legalizing marijuana, NY should legalizing marijuana. They should legalize prostitution, and institute further deregulations. The recently passed restrictions against Airbnb should be undone. They set up a system making it almost impossible for a good section of the public to support themselves via work. So after homelessness skyrockets under Bloomberg, it gets even worse under de Blasio who is just throwing welfare dollars at the problem.

Good rundown, makes sense.

Also legal grass will help people escape from the pain.

I'd add, in the summer, give them tents and move them to Staten Island or some other spot with food and temp toilets.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...oli-jr-mr1.jpg

L.A. has a humongous homeless pop, take some lessons from L.A. No need to house the homeless year round if it busts the budget, just keep them from freezing in the winter.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:06 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,144,078 times
THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

where do they expect locals that paid $1000 a month on rent to find somewhere else to live when their landlords kick them out to rent to white hipsters for $2500? Plus developers/landlords are finding loopholes to get our of rent stabilized/rent regulated apartments. So less are even more available now.

They need to produce these affordable units, fast as it is going to get even worse.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,144,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
I think I will just gamble all my money away before retirement

if i hit it big, i'll move out of state

if i lose the shirt off my back, I will live in a hotel room paid for by taxpayers

You wouldn't want that life, one "free" thing doesn't take away the constant instability and stress it comes with being poor.

But sure do all of the above, life would be so much better for you

Old 01-06-2017, 09:25 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,291,437 times
Unpopular opinion but a great idea. I watch HGTV and I love looking at real estate cost in different places. It is mind blowingly cheap in other states. The gov't should get contracts for the building of sustainable subdivisions/housing complexes.

Instead of giving tax break to wealthy developers, the projects should be renovated and rented at 25 percent below market rate to working families only within a certain income range. The family must be working no subsidies beyond a break in rent.

Developers build entire communities from scratch. For everyone else that require section 8/most or full payment of their rent, move them into these subdivisions. I have seen beautiful homes for less than $100k. My friend's first house was $150k with a mortgage of less than $1000. Move these people who needs long term(have no intentions of working or can't) to these much cheaper areas.
Builds schools and Urgent care centers in these areas within commuting distance. Build housing for teachers and health care workers and offer incentives (free housing, loan forgiveness etc) to attract people to work there. Other business will sprout up organically.

This way housing is provided at much cheaper cost with better quality housing. I don't want to hear about family ties why anyone who don't contribute to their housing need to live in a certain area. How often do their families visit the in the project's now? If your family liked you and needed you close by they would cover the cost of housing you and not the tax payers.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 PM

14,020 posts, read 13,838,474 times
It seem homeless problem is worst in Los Angeles and there Downtown/Midtown areas is empty comparing NYC only beach areas have little crowd.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: