Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times

Advertisements

Quick question...does the free tuition deal apply to those who already have a bachelor's and would like to get another bachelor's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,214,417 times
Cuomo seems to not have gotten the memo about draining the swamp. Last thing DC needs in 2020 is the swamp to be refilled with Albany sludge.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:59 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Quick question...does the free tuition deal apply to those who already have a bachelor's and would like to get another bachelor's?

As of now there does not seem to be a clear answer to your query.

Cuomo's statement/PR release says the scholarship money would be awarded to all accepted as full time students by a two or four year CUNY or SUNY school. However it goes onto say the money would be "last mile" grants to make up any remaining difference after Pell and TAP. Those who have received a degree already generally are not eligible for Pell grants, and TAP awards are exhausted after four years or the equal of study.

An adult who has *not* attended college previously (and thus would qualify for financial aid) is another matter. There it seems (again as per reading Cuomo's PR) they would be treated no different than recent high school graduates.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As of now there does not seem to be a clear answer to your query.

Cuomo's statement/PR release says the scholarship money would be awarded to all accepted as full time students by a two or four year CUNY or SUNY school. However it goes onto say the money would be "last mile" grants to make up any remaining difference after Pell and TAP. Those who have received a degree already generally are not eligible for Pell grants, and TAP awards are exhausted after four years or the equal of study.

An adult who has *not* attended college previously (and thus would qualify for financial aid) is another matter. There it seems (again as per reading Cuomo's PR) they would be treated no different than recent high school graduates.

Thanks for your insight. I have a feeling it won't be made available to those who already hold a bachelor's. I will just have to wait for the news.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Point of this scheme is not if it becomes law; but rather it does give Cuomo another notch in his belt towards his run for a third term in 2018.

Just look at the optics; Cuomo teams up with Bernie Sanders; who lost in his bid for WH but claims he could have succeeded where HC failed, and beat Trump.

Meanwhile back at the ranch HC did *very* well in the POTUS race for NYS with good polling numbers from both up and down state. By stealing her thunder *and* teaming up with Mr. Sanders the governor is firing a preemptive salvo across the Clinton's bow.

Third terms normally don't go very well for NYS governors in recent memory (Mr. Cuomo's late father's legacy is testament to this), and there is always a worry that the voters have tired of the same face and want something new. Mr. Cuomo has one year to rack up as many "victories" as he can to enable him to go to the voters of NYS with a strong enough record that will not only convince them to re-elect; but scare off any challengers that could pose a serious threat. These could be both from within his party or Republican.

Cuomo's biggest liabilities are in several areas;

Upstate New York continues to lose population and jobs; the pace may have slowed but still things are what they are.

New York State is still ranked at or near top in terms of taxes, unfriendly business environment and so forth.

Most importantly despite promises to the contrary Albany made when Cuomo first ran for governor, Albany has *NOT* been cleaned up. The place is still a cesspool of patronage and where money buys influence. Three men in a room still largely govern the state especially the budget process.

Andrew Cuomo like his father loves the sound of his voice a bit too much. As such he makes all these announcements of grand plans (a ten billion USD makeover for JFK was announced today), but is short of details about how the things are to be funded/work. If they don't happen Cuomo will lay blame elsewhere but take credit (or try) for making the attempt.
Upstate's population losses have picked back up again.

In terms of all the projects that Cuomo says he is going to do, that combined with this free college proposal and combined with de Blasio's increased spending makes me think NY could be headed towards a major fiscal crisis.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Thanks for your insight. I have a feeling it won't be made available to those who already hold a bachelor's. I will just have to wait for the news.

You are not alone, a few friends who were contemplating going back for a second degree (nursing) had put things off out of not wanting to rack up debt/financing issues. This new scheme *may* give them something, but again everyone will have to wait to see not only if bill is passed but what it will actually provide, and to who.

Biggest hardship for adults would be the requirement to be a full time student. Not many can swing working full or even part time *and* taking twelve or more credits per semester.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Upstate's population losses have picked back up again.

In terms of all the projects that Cuomo says he is going to do, that combined with this free college proposal and combined with de Blasio's increased spending makes me think NY could be headed towards a major fiscal crisis.

Much is going to depend upon what His Orangeness and Congress does in Washington, D.C.

If they repeal "Obamacare", cut social service/welfare and other funding New York State and City are going to be hit hard. Leaving aside the various transit projects planned and or in the works that require federal funding this place spends tons on various welfare, Medicaid, HIV/AIDS, low income/homeless housing and other social services, which a good part of funding is federal. Not much in some cases but still...

As for Cuomo much is probably going to depend upon who runs against him in the democratic primary and the republican candidate. If Preet Bharara runs for governor (please, oh dear God PLEASE), then things could get interesting. Again don't count out the Clinton woman. She *should* have run for governor of NYS in the first place instead of the WH, and I for one wouldn't say it is safe to turn one's back on the Clintons just yet.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Much is going to depend upon what His Orangeness and Congress does in Washington, D.C.

If they repeal "Obamacare", cut social service/welfare and other funding New York State and City are going to be hit hard. Leaving aside the various transit projects planned and or in the works that require federal funding this place spends tons on various welfare, Medicaid, HIV/AIDS, low income/homeless housing and other social services, which a good part of funding is federal. Not much in some cases but still...

As for Cuomo much is probably going to depend upon who runs against him in the democratic primary and the republican candidate. If Preet Bharara runs for governor (please, oh dear God PLEASE), then things could get interesting. Again don't count out the Clinton woman. She *should* have run for governor of NYS in the first place instead of the WH, and I for one wouldn't say it is safe to turn one's back on the Clintons just yet.
The Republicans were able to force through budget cuts in Obama's second term, so with Trump in office some of those programs are BOUND to be CUT. Which is part of the reason why I think NYC and NYS will soon be a fiscal nightmare. Trump doesn't even believe their should be a department of education, and wants to prioritize school choice which it and of itself will bring big cuts to public education bureaucracy (and job losses).

The transit projects will probably do well under Trump. But in terms of federal aide, Trump wants all student loans to originate at banks (in 2013, Obama decided to have private companies service the student loan debt and not the department of education). So in short student loans will soon be privatized entirely. I brought up the student loan situation because we cannot be sure what will happen to pell grant funding.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
You are not alone, a few friends who were contemplating going back for a second degree (nursing) had put things off out of not wanting to rack up debt/financing issues. This new scheme *may* give them something, but again everyone will have to wait to see not only if bill is passed but what it will actually provide, and to who.

Biggest hardship for adults would be the requirement to be a full time student. Not many can swing working full or even part time *and* taking twelve or more credits per semester.

Usually working while you go to school is not a requirement but for me and many others it would be as N.Y. isn't cheap. I don't think I could rent an apartment with roommates on my own while in school. Either way, I would have to get a job in n.y. that pays enough so.that I could save money to go to school while unemployed that could help.towards groceries, rent, and socializing/networking. I like.N.Y. but hope I won't be forced to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City