Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextlevel View Post
Yes that's exactly what happened. I was asked to provide them with 6 current pay stubs. They picked the highest paying Paystub and used that to make projections for the rest of the year. They basically took that paystub and multiplied it by 26 since I get 26 checks a year.
During the first half of the year a few coworkers of mine were laid off. It was required of me to put it extra hours to cover them until new people were hired. During that month I acquired more over time then normal.
Unfortunately, that is one of the ways that they calculate income, by projecting your paystubs for a full year (and they always go by the method which produces the highest income result). There's nothing you can do if you're outside of the appeal window. As long as you were within the appeal window, you could have taken it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court if you had wanted to, but now you're out of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
There are a couple of things that set off alarm bells in this process, from what I have observed. One is cash income, and another is overtime. Cash income is pretty self-explanatory, and overtime can be seen as an unpredictable (from the interviewer's point of view) source of additional income. I'm sorry that the overtime happened at a bad time for you. It's really does seem unfair, but you can kind of see the rationale behind it.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,187 times
I still think it's worth contacting HPD to say that at year's end, your actual income (which takes salary and assets into account--assets are multiplied by 0.06% and added to income--when you were rejected you should have received the detailed calculation in your rejection letter) fell short of your projected income, and given this, could your "case" be repopened, because in actuality, you're in the income guidelines? You can call (there's a phone number that people actually answer) or email. They respond pretty quickly. At least you'll know what you're up against if you pursue this. You should be aware that the asset cap was lowered considerably in October, so now you might be ineligible on that front, unless the bulk of your assets are in retirement accounts. I think you've raised an interesting issue. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Good advice from Moving415. Also, is your current income still within the range? If nothing else, maybe they can offer you the waitlist. I was reading on this forum not long ago that a new 80/20 tenant couldn't come up with his second month's rent, and the developer was going to the waitlist already. So strange things do happen!

Old 01-05-2017, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 14,595 times
Thank you everyone for your input. I have taken my assets and evething into consideration and I still meet the requirements for the income. I will continue pressing HPD and the development to reopen my file. I'm meeting with my lawyer next week to see if we have a case. I will keep everyone abreast.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Please do keep us abreast. As I think I'm in the same situation (haven't added up my income yet -- won't see 1099s before 1/31, but I guess I could prove income with pay stubs, invoices, and bank deposits). Just don't know if I have the will and energy to get emotionally invested in this again -- I only recently recovered from my last lottery.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Did the OP ever follow up on this with HPD? Issue: actual income lower than the projected income that disqualified the applicant. Can one get their file reopened?

Old 01-28-2017, 04:56 PM

15 posts, read 14,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
Did the OP ever follow up on this with HPD? Issue: actual income lower than the projected income that disqualified the applicant. Can one get their file reopened?
Sorry I was actually waiting for my W2 to come out. I will let you know the results in a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City