Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Don't forget. Trump transition team proposed a trillion dollar infrastructure Hill.

Not going to happen. News out of Washington D.C. just this week says the Republican majority Congress is already telling Trump to back peddle on his grand infrastructure campaign promises. In other words Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan have other priorities. You can't give tax breaks to the rich and big companies *and* spend trillion or so on infrastructure. Even killing Obamacare won't bring in nearly enough funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
JFK is Garbage and LGA is Garbage.

I hear people talking about overhauling HNL and MCO. As if people aren't going to visit the cities because the 'airport' looks dated.

LGA is too small to be functional.
JFK is too far away to be functional.

10 Billion Dollars isn't even enough to fix the mess that JFK is.

It's awful by car, especially when it rains.
The bus system sucks.
The airtrain is slow and pricey.

I honestly can't even think of a fix. I've read some of the reports on swapping Rikers with LGA which I wholeheartedly think is a start... LGA is just positioned better. No easy fixes though.

NY's infrastructure is seriously frightening. It's just almost worth investing in other cities.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Cuomo is such a jerkoff. Spend that kind of money where it's actually needed, MORON!

Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

I hear people talking about overhauling HNL and MCO. As if people aren't going to visit the cities because the 'airport' looks dated.

The bus system sucks.

I honestly can't even think of a fix. I've read some of the reports on swapping Rikers with LGA which I wholeheartedly think is a start... LGA is just positioned better. No easy fixes though.

NY's infrastructure is seriously frightening. It's just almost worth investing in other cities.
What's your opinion on EWR? Garbage too?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
The issues are fixable.

LGA:
  • Get rid of the 4-22 runway, and put the new terminal near where that ends near the Grand Central Parkway. 4-22 can create problems for certain approaches/departures from JFK, and the intesecting runways greatly constrict the number of operations at LGA.
  • Get rid of the old terminals
  • Extend the existing 13-31 runway and add a new 13-31 parallel, near where the old terminal were.
  • Extend either the N train or the new 2nd Avenue subway to LGA.
  • If they need a crosswind runway, run one at 45 degrees to the parallel 13-31s from the 31 end out across Flushing Bay.
It will never be a huge airport, but it's is, and would be more, useful as a domestic and near international local airport.

JFK:
  • Reorient the existing 13-31 runways to 10-28, and add two more parallels on this orientation. Leave the existing 4-22s. Doing this eliminates any interference between the towers in downtown Manhattan.
  • The reorientation will create a large area to create a big replacement for terminals 1-2-3, space to expand Terminal 5. There's also the space where terminal 6 used to be, This could either be joined with Terminal 5 or used in conjunction with a Terminal 7 replacement.
  • Run the Airtrain all the way to Manhattan. Develop a system to check luggage and do the security screening at the remote stations.
  • Take over Floyd Bennett Field, and rebuild it as a remote airfield for JFK. Develop the field at Floyd Bennett specifically to handle commuter/regional aircraft (thinking two to three runways, designed for smaller aircraft.) Build a people/luggage mover system between the two, that would allow passengers to transfer between planes using either field (ie hop a puddle jumper in Buffalo that would land a Floyd Bennett, and transfer to a widebody at JFK flying to London, without have to claim/check luggage, or rescreen through security.)
This will at least double the airport's capacity, and ease a lot of the ground transportation issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

The bus system sucks.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What's your opinion on EWR? Garbage too?
I don't love EWR, but it's easier to fix any problems associated with it.
It's got room to build and grow- that said, it's a pretty big distance from the majority of NYC.

I've talked to a ton of New Yorkers who fly a lot, as I used to, many for work.

I ask how they can possibly manage the hassle-

The answer is always the same.

"I leave 2 hours before hand, I take a cab, and my job pays for it."

That's like $75 to go less than 15 miles. More than the cost of plenty of flights.
I've used just about every mode of transit getting into NY- it's never pretty.

Boston has direct transit, Toronto has direct transit, Miami has direct transit, Chicago has direct transit. DC does to DCA and will to Dulles in years to come.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The issues are fixable.

LGA:
  • Get rid of the 4-22 runway, and put the new terminal near where that ends near the Grand Central Parkway. 4-22 can create problems for certain approaches/departures from JFK, and the intesecting runways greatly constrict the number of operations at LGA.
  • Get rid of the old terminals
  • Extend the existing 13-31 runway and add a new 13-31 parallel, near where the old terminal were.
  • Extend either the N train or the new 2nd Avenue subway to LGA.
  • If they need a crosswind runway, run one at 45 degrees to the parallel 13-31s from the 31 end out across Flushing Bay.
It will never be a huge airport, but it's is, and would be more, useful as a domestic and near international local airport.

JFK:
  • Reorient the existing 13-31 runways to 10-28, and add two more parallels on this orientation. Leave the existing 4-22s. Doing this eliminates any interference between the towers in downtown Manhattan.
  • The reorientation will create a large area to create a big replacement for terminals 1-2-3, space to expand Terminal 5. There's also the space where terminal 6 used to be, This could either be joined with Terminal 5 or used in conjunction with a Terminal 7 replacement.
  • Run the Airtrain all the way to Manhattan. Develop a system to check luggage and do the security screening at the remote stations.
  • Take over Floyd Bennett Field, and rebuild it as a remote airfield for JFK. Develop the field at Floyd Bennett specifically to handle commuter/regional aircraft (thinking two to three runways, designed for smaller aircraft.) Build a people/luggage mover system between the two, that would allow passengers to transfer between planes using either field (ie hop a puddle jumper in Buffalo that would land a Floyd Bennett, and transfer to a widebody at JFK flying to London, without have to claim/check luggage, or rescreen through security.)
This will at least double the airport's capacity, and ease a lot of the ground transportation issues.
These are positive lists that do eliminate some of the issues (though not terribly ease the lack of airspace), yet it appears none would really be considered for these ridiculous redos to offer more USB charger and open spaces.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,647 times
JFK has four runways, this is just fine. Two runways for whatever the wind conditions are. The only reason someone would want to add 5+ runways is if they were in the concrete business. The things they have done in ATL and ORD is just absurd with 10+ runways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
And yet again, as with LGA, they're just sprucing up the terminals without doing anything about airside issues. JFK needs two more parallell runways to increase its capacity, and the runways should also likely be reoriented, so their flight paths don't go over lower Manhattan.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:18 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Don't forget. Trump transition team proposed a trillion dollar infrastructure Hill.
That's mostly going to be using private investors, which means implementing tolls and user fees.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:33 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
How is NY going to pay for all of his projects? I mean they are very good ideas, LaGuardia, Tappan Zee bridge, JFK, Electronic Toll Booths, etc etc....

But no mention of how it will all affect us in our taxes later on. Thats the scary part.

The airline's usually pay for a chunk of the cost for their specific terminal. Eg Jetblue paid for their terminal. Delta moved their main operations to terminal 4 and paid to expand and renovate that terminal. American airlines paid to have their terminal renovated years ago. But was stiffed by shoddy work and budget over run so they are constantly reapiring instead of their planned upgrade and expansion.
Plus PAPD runs JFK airport and we all know they have an unlimited funding from bridge tolls, rent charged to the airlines and govt for use of the airport.

The airlines are making record breaking profits. They can afford to chip in to cover the cost. Flights are full, tickets are more expensive, oil prices down and they charge extra for everything but oxygen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City