Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:29 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I am a bigly fan of NYC weather. Without its distintive 4 seasons and relatively short summers, I might have relocated for MN.

The big sucker place weather wise I'm the US is probably Seattle imho. Once the rain stops there, snow starts immediately. What a hell!!
That I agree with you. Throw in Alaska. Next to rainy weather, I detest the extreme cold I imagine Alaska gets. For that reason, I can't imagine living anywhere in Canada or Buffalo for that matter (shudder).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:29 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Curious, what is it about snow in the city you actually enjoy!? Sledding? That must be fun, i'll give you that. Other than that? It's a horrible nuisance and it feels like the Universe jizzed all over us.
What's not to love? I don't sled.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Believe it or not, I know some Californians who've told me they got tired of consistently fair, sunny, 70 degree weather all year round and love the change of seasons NYC brings. Course all of them have lived in NYC for less than five years. Let's see how long that love affair lasts. That said, I for one do appreciate the change of seasons that we get here & I've been here for close to 30 years or so. I didn't always feel that way of course but have grown an appreciation for it. It brings variety.
Pretty much. I lived in CA also. No thanks. Weather does seem ideal there until you realize how much you miss having seasons.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:43 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Curious, what is it about snow in the city you actually enjoy!? Sledding? That must be fun, i'll give you that. Other than that? It's a horrible nuisance and it feels like the Universe jizzed all over us.
lol. What a visual you just gave. I won't say it's that bad but I agree it wears off fast when you have actual errands to run under a time clock versus staying at home all cozy and nice just looking out the window.

It was a nuisance getting to the gym today. And cramming all the additional layers (scarves, gloves, hat, boots, umbrella) into one tiny locker was a challenge. It's cold, wet, slippery, messy and annoying I'll give you that when you have places to go and things to do.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
YES, thank you. And I'm sorry, but half the people on the trains in this kind of weather smell like moth balls or just regular old musty/moldy!? blech. i'm not a prude, but i swear most of our population smells like B.O. in this kind of weather. You would think people would stink worse in the Summer, but they don't. In the Winter people smell terrible, and packed like sardines on the train with them aaaaaaaaaaah.

I hope it rains soon and washes away the slush.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:31 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Pretty much. I lived in CA also. No thanks. Weather does seem ideal there until you realize how much you miss having seasons.
Not everyone missing having seasons especially a cold winter. Living in NYC dealing with the snow is not pleasant as it makes difficult to get around even with plowed streets.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
PDF I recommend that you make sure to get out of the city a little bit during the winter if you're really interested in snow. I understand you're new here and from Florida so you're excited to see snow for the first time and all that.

What you'll soon see is that soon after it snows in the city it turns into a gross, sludgey mess. Snow is definitely much more enjoyable outside of the city. Im not complaining, that's just my advice to you, as somebody that has lived in this climate my entire life

Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
PDF I recommend that you make sure to get out of the city a little bit during the winter if you're really interested in snow. I understand you're new here and from Florida so you're excited to see snow for the first time and all that.

What you'll soon see is that soon after it snows in the city it turns into a gross, sludgey mess. Snow is definitely much more enjoyable outside of the city. Im not complaining, that's just my advice to you, as somebody that has lived in this climate my entire life
First time? No, I don't think so. I've seen snow more times than I can recall, even had to drive in it...which sucks. This is not my first rodeo. I have also lived in multiple states and multiple countries. I honestly have no interest in getting outside of the city just to see snow. I don't love it that much, but I do like it. Cold weather to me is awesome and is a relief.

Believe me, I've already lived in places that have climates worse than this. Now...I'm finally living somewhere that has a climate I like. Some don't like it, and that's OK. But I do.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
First time? No, I don't think so. I've seen snow more times than I can recall, even had to drive in it...which sucks. This is not my first rodeo. I have also lived in multiple states and multiple countries. I honestly have no interest in getting outside of the city just to see snow. I don't love it that much, but I do like it. Cold weather to me is awesome and is a relief.

Believe me, I've already lived in places that have climates worse than this. Now...I'm finally living somewhere that has a climate I like. Some don't like it, and that's OK. But I do.
Oh. Sorry about that.

I think you're the first person I've ever seen claim the weather as something that you like about NYC.

Driving in the snow does suck, but seriously though: it's about to get really gross in the next day or two.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Spring / Summer in NYC is great if you like the beach. I love it. Walking around today was just disgusting, but at least it was cold enough that it's not all pure slush puddles, although at every intersection it was, but it can be much worse.. Jumping over giant lakes to cross the street SUCKS. Especially when a-howls think it's fun to stomp in the slush puddles with their knock off timberlands and fuggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City