Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Just a couple thoughts I had. 1) I really love snow. I really love it.

2) Do you agree that NYC is a place where the weather doesn't really matter? By this, I mean that city really takes priority over weather. When you have a city like NYC that offers so much, does weather really matter? I've seen this discussed before and I definitely sway towards that opinion.

You can dismiss me as being a transplant, but I don't complain about the weather here. Just take it in strides and enjoy it. OK sure, I'm some New Yorkers are gruntled and the weather is one reason they want to leave after 20-30 years...fine. I get that. I grew up in Florida, so I know what that's like. However, I complained to death about the hot/humid climate that FL offers. No thanks! You can move there and enjoy it. Anything that is not that climate I can enjoy.

But hot or cold, I'm not complaining here. I've lived in several places and FL is the only place that I did. You have to look on the positive side of things. I'm definitely a 4 seasons type of person though.

I spent a total of 7 months in this city collectively over the years before moving here, mostly during summers. When I moved here, I moved here during the hottest week of the year. Waiting in 100 degree subway stations? No problem!

Bring on the cold is what I say. What about you? What do you want to say about the weather right now? And do you agree that there are cities where crap weather really isn't a big drawback?

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Weather does matter. If you think it doesn't go live in Siberia and see how long you last.
Winter's aren't so bad in the modern world if you have shelter, heat, and adequate clothing.

I never got the "4 seasons type of person" nonsense. No rational human being would pick 4 seasons over San Diego type weather. The problem is most of the world doesn't experience San Diego type weather.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 PM

274 posts, read 485,344 times
I definitely can live without the freezing cold weather NYC offers at times but I couldn't see myself living anywhere else in the world so I'm fine w/ layering up!!! For now that is...

Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
I've lived in this climate my entire life and I complain all the time about the cold. How long have you been here? You'll hate snow and cold soon enough. FYI if you were here last year, last winter didnt count as a real winter. It was waaaay to warm/mild.

I see what you're getting at with #2. It takes a lot to shut this city down and a little snow and cold is not enough. Especially since we deal with it everyday for 3-5 months of the year. It's just a regular part of life here. Any other Northern city will be the same. But the South are huge ******* when it comes to snow. In Charlotte for example, when they get an inch of snow the whole city shuts down. I hate cold but I don't let it stop me from going out or doing whatever it is that I have to do. BUT I wouldn't say that it doesn't matter completely. I don't go to the park to hang out in the winter like I do in the warmer months, and I usually won't go to a rooftop bar or walk across the bridge to the city instead of taking the subway in the winter either, which are things that I love doing in the summer.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The weather does matter as I don't think most long term NYers don't want to go out when it is below freezing outside with a high wind chill factor. Also large snow amounts in the city turn into slush making it very hard for pedestrians to cross the streets due to the accumulation of slushy/watery mixes at most street corners.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
In some respects I agree that the weather is less important in NYC, at least in that it isn't necessarily as crippling as it can be in place where driving is basically the sole means of transportation. But, on the flip side, since people are outside so much more, the weather is even more important because we're actually exposed to it.

I'll take the freezing cold over July/August weather any day. Thank the lord that I don't have to commute by subway in the summer. But I've always hated heat/humidity.

Now the question of four seasons versus consistently good weather is a good one. I most recently lived in San Francisco and the weather there is, by my standards, as perfect as it gets. I only lived there for a few years, but I'm sure that I will eventually sorely miss that over this four seasons stuff.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:17 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayette.ms. View Post
This.. sorta... OP not really sure what he/she talking about...
I've already suffered through weather that is arguably worse than what we have in NYC. Telling me I'll hate snow/cold soon enough doesn't really work here. You can't be a complainer forever...unless you're one of those people.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Weather doesn't matter in terms of the city always being lively and there always being something to do (be it indoors or outdoors). But it does get very cold here Jan-March, enough to keep me at home on some days. Summers can have some very hot days too, but nothing extreme.

I think it's nice that we get all 4 seasons here, even if they all bleed in to each other.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
I am a bigly fan of NYC weather. Without its distintive 4 seasons and relatively short summers, I might have relocated for MN.

The big sucker place weather wise I'm the US is probably Seattle imho. Once the rain stops there, snow starts immediately. What a hell!!

Old 01-06-2017, 08:45 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,911 times
I don't think it matters for the city as a whole since most people are busy and doing their thing. Unless there is a blizzard and can't get to work, only extreme weather seems to slow down the city but not by much though. Even in Blizzards you can still go to a bodega/supermarket/restaurant apparently people feel the need to continue service, while subways are due to shutdown. If they do shutdown they are up within 24hrs, don't think any other place is that efficient. (still doubt people actually like to bundle up just to go out in freezing cold weather)
I don't like the cold, I was able to bare it when I was younger... not as much anymore. I have even considered relocating because of the weather alone. Thought of San Fran or San Diego. (went to San Fran wasn't warm enough but still contemplating if my job prospects grants it)
I have relatives in Florida that still wonder how we do it here, well you used to live here.... how did you do it?
Fall is ok, I have noticed transplants enjoy the in-between seasons more (or maybe everyone just does). Of course I love the summer, not sure if its because I was born around the equator, but the summer months in the city makes me not want to leave (I can do without the pisss/garbage/subway aromas though).

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 01-06-2017 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City