Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Oh. Sorry about that.

I think you're the first person I've ever seen claim the weather as something that you like about NYC.

Driving in the snow does suck, but seriously though: it's about to get really gross in the next day or two.
No problem. It really is a climate that I enjoy. Looking forward to the rest of winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
No problem. It really is a climate that I enjoy. Looking forward to the rest of winter.
...And I've always loved Florida weather. Every winter I visit my snowbird grandparents in Florida during the winter and I always look forward to that escape

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 AM

738 posts, read 585,064 times
Nice day today. God's mercy, after the last few days.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I never got the "4 seasons type of person" nonsense. No rational human being would pick 4 seasons over San Diego type weather. The problem is most of the world doesn't experience San Diego type weather.
Speak for yourself. I need the 4 seasons or I get bored to death over a year. I love extreme heat as much as extreme cold and everything in between. The only thing I don't like is rain

Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Well, for those seeking changeable weather, it is 55 degrees in Central Park right now,

Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM

738 posts, read 585,064 times
Not bad, for January. No more snow or rain, please God.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:33 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Just wish it would pick one season and remain so for a week or so.

One day it is 60F, next day 30F, two days later back up to 50F. Then there is the seemingly endless rain and or damp.

Almost everyone at office and or know is either sick with an URT infection or getting over one.

Heating wise buildings don't know what to do; it is either blistering hot indoors because the boilers haven't adjusted to it suddenly being 60F outside, or chilly because temps dropped down to 30F at night.

Either way the seniors in our building keep complaining they are "cold" so the heat is kept on full blast regardless. Came home the other day and even with the radiators shut and windows open my place was >79F. You walk into the common areas from inside apartment or coming in from outdoors and it is like walking into a blast furnace.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:50 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just wish it would pick one season and remain so for a week or so.

One day it is 60F, next day 30F, two days later back up to 50F. Then there is the seemingly endless rain and or damp.

Almost everyone at office and or know is either sick with an URT infection or getting over one.

Heating wise buildings don't know what to do; it is either blistering hot indoors because the boilers haven't adjusted to it suddenly being 60F outside, or chilly because temps dropped down to 30F at night.

Either way the seniors in our building keep complaining they are "cold" so the heat is kept on full blast regardless. Came home the other day and even with the radiators shut and windows open my place was >79F. You walk into the common areas from inside apartment or coming in from outdoors and it is like walking into a blast furnace.
You got that right. It's like the weather lately has been schizophrenic. I've just recovered from a cold while my mom is coming down with one.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 PM

40 posts, read 27,746 times
Quote:
Just a couple thoughts I had. 1) I really love snow. I really love it.

2) Do you agree that NYC is a place where the weather doesn't really matter? By this, I mean that city really takes priority over weather. When you have a city like NYC that offers so much, does weather really matter? I've seen this discussed before and I definitely sway towards that opinion.

You can dismiss me as being a transplant, but I don't complain about the weather here. Just take it in strides and enjoy it. OK sure, I'm some New Yorkers are gruntled and the weather is one reason they want to leave after 20-30 years...fine. I get that. I grew up in Florida, so I know what that's like. However, I complained to death about the hot/humid climate that FL offers. No thanks! You can move there and enjoy it. Anything that is not that climate I can enjoy.

But hot or cold, I'm not complaining here. I've lived in several places and FL is the only place that I did. You have to look on the positive side of things. I'm definitely a 4 seasons type of person though.

I spent a total of 7 months in this city collectively over the years before moving here, mostly during summers. When I moved here, I moved here during the hottest week of the year. Waiting in 100 degree subway stations? No problem!

Bring on the cold is what I say. What about you? What do you want to say about the weather right now? And do you agree that there are cities where crap weather really isn't a big drawback?

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow!

This is an interesting topic.

Everyone I know who's been to New York talks about it in a winter context. Some folk I know have flew across from the UK for Christmas shopping or to spend Christmas in New York or have a winter city break.

I get the attraction/magic of that but the twice I've been I've been in the summer and think I made the right choice.

New York does seem somewhat romantic in the winter time but as far as I'm concerned it's hard to beat spending an afternoon in the sun walking around Central Park, watching kids skateboard and people play baseball etc ... taking the tour boats up and down the Hudson and bar crawling around Manhattan/Chelsea/Hell's Kitchen.

Suppose all that still happens in the winter.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Just a couple thoughts I had. 1) I really love snow. I really love it.

2) Do you agree that NYC is a place where the weather doesn't really matter? By this, I mean that city really takes priority over weather. When you have a city like NYC that offers so much, does weather really matter? I've seen this discussed before and I definitely sway towards that opinion.

You can dismiss me as being a transplant, but I don't complain about the weather here. Just take it in strides and enjoy it. OK sure, I'm some New Yorkers are gruntled and the weather is one reason they want to leave after 20-30 years...fine. I get that. I grew up in Florida, so I know what that's like. However, I complained to death about the hot/humid climate that FL offers. No thanks! You can move there and enjoy it. Anything that is not that climate I can enjoy.

But hot or cold, I'm not complaining here. I've lived in several places and FL is the only place that I did. You have to look on the positive side of things. I'm definitely a 4 seasons type of person though.

I spent a total of 7 months in this city collectively over the years before moving here, mostly during summers. When I moved here, I moved here during the hottest week of the year. Waiting in 100 degree subway stations? No problem!

Bring on the cold is what I say. What about you? What do you want to say about the weather right now? And do you agree that there are cities where crap weather really isn't a big drawback?

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow!
I love your positive attitude. I don't really think too much about the weather. It is a nice surprise when the weather is nice. Yesterday was nice. Good weather does put me in a good mood. I would never move anywhere because of the weather. Some people are just more sensitive to the weather. I hate rain but I take it in stride. I know it will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City