U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 AM

1,075 posts, read 808,095 times

Advertisements

What is the pros and cons of living in Throgs Neck, Bronx, a waterfront neighborhood in the Bronx? Why do some in NYC believe that the community is "racist" to foreigners and immigrants? Is it a welcoming community?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 AM

10,905 posts, read 5,681,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
What is the pros and cons of living in Throgs Neck, Bronx, a waterfront neighborhood in the Bronx? Why do some in NYC believe that the community is "racist" to foreigners and immigrants? Is it a welcoming community?
Throgs Neck is a big area. When the Bronx was "burning", Throgs Neck was still safe. The area at that time was mainly Italian and while some parts have changed, it is still a majority white neighborhood. Edgewater Park is part of Throgs Neck and has been considered racist because of the policies put in place in order for anyone to move there. You must receive recommendations from people who currently live there, all of whom are white, so you can draw your own conclusions. The area on the other side of the expressway isn't as nice, but the areas by the water are still fine.

Pros: Solid middle class area; not in decline like a lot of the Bronx
Suburban and family-oriented
Safe

Cons: Limited transport options

Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM

3,837 posts, read 6,937,714 times
Throggs Neck pro.....
1. Quiet, safe, stable, suburban-style neighborhood
2. Tremont Avenue nice business strip
3. Views of both Bridges

Throggs Neck con.....
1. Limited public Transportation options (Bx 40, 42, Bxm9)
2. Tremont Avenue nightlife can get noisy if living close by
3. Houses among most expensive in Bronx

Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Throggs Neck pro.....
1. Quiet, safe, stable, suburban-style neighborhood
2. Tremont Avenue nice business strip
3. Views of both Bridges

Throggs Neck con.....
1. Limited public Transportation options (Bx 40, 42, Bxm9)
2. Tremont Avenue nightlife can get noisy if living close by
3. Houses among most expensive in Bronx
I'd say another added con is some of the houses are down right ugly, but there are some nice houses by the water.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,569,678 times
Some believe the community is racist, because frankly, it is. I grew up there, and while I feel like I had a good childhood, I cannot live there as an adult....for many reasons, but that's a big one. My mother still lives there, so I am there weekly.

I work in midtown, and couldn't handle 2+ hour commutes in the morning. It all depends on your specific factors.

Are you asking whether or not you should move there? Need more info if so.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM

3,157 posts, read 3,693,349 times
Additional CONS:

1. Parking may be difficult if you don't have your own driveway.
2. Check out local public schools carefully if you have need of them.
3. Throgs Neck Houses (NYCHA) might depress real estate values of homes that abut it.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:15 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,113,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Some believe the community is racist, because frankly, it is. I grew up there, and while I feel like I had a good childhood, I cannot live there as an adult....for many reasons, but that's a big one. My mother still lives there, so I am there weekly.

I work in midtown, and couldn't handle 2+ hour commutes in the morning. It all depends on your specific factors.

Are you asking whether or not you should move there? Need more info if so.
Liz and I actually know each other IRL... and I pretty much grew up in Edgewater and TN as a whole. I hightailed it to PA-racism on a whole new level out there sadly.

I will not disagree that there's definitely a racist element in TN. However, that's changing along with the demographics of the area. Most of those we grew up with quit NYC for the surrounding burbs and took their racist nonsense plastered all over FB with them. TN is rapidly diversifying (I see no issue with that, personally) and based on community FB pages there's a mix of reactions.

Edgewater isn't the only private community in TN facing criticism regarding discriminatory practices, there's Silver Beach as well. Both communities are cooperatives, where residents own homes on land that is owned collectively, and where buyers must be approved by the co-ops’ boards. Part of the approvals process was letters of recommendation from current residents (Edgewater has since changed that to anyone).

An advocacy group filed a lawsuit that it is a discriminatory practice as people of color rarely know residents in the 2 nearly white communities. The second part of the suit was directed at a realtor, Amelia Lewis,who was certainly far more culpable in discriminatory practices than either Edgewater or Silver Beach. She outright refused to show an AA couple posing as prospective buyers in both Edgewater and Silver Beach.

The court ruled Edgewater's old reference policy as "unintentionally discriminatory" based on testimony from board members regarding it's need and implementation.

ETA a link about the outcome of the suit. http://www.fairhousingjustice.org/ne...er-may-2-2013/

Old 01-10-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Liz and I actually know each other IRL... and I pretty much grew up in Edgewater and TN as a whole. I hightailed it to PA-racism on a whole new level out there sadly.

I will not disagree that there's definitely a racist element in TN. However, that's changing along with the demographics of the area. Most of those we grew up with quit NYC for the surrounding burbs and took their racist nonsense plastered all over FB with them. TN is rapidly diversifying (I see no issue with that, personally) and based on community FB pages there's a mix of reactions.
On the same token, I thought someone on here said that the neighborhood was deteriorating? More garbage all around and just not as up kept as before when it wasn't as diverse? Then again the same has been said of Pelham Bay, which is still mainly white but also diversifying.

Also, how has the new Trump golf course affected the neighborhood? I know it is located near the Throggs Neck Houses on the other side of the expressway so just curious.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:31 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,113,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
On the same token, I thought someone on here said that the neighborhood was deteriorating? More garbage all around and just not as up kept as before when it wasn't as diverse? Then again the same has been said of Pelham Bay, which is still mainly white but also diversifying.
I've said before it's certainly dirtier than it used to be, mainly Tremont Ave.I factor that up to several things- people regardless of color are pigs there's always been garbage around. It seems the city took away most of the corner garbage pails that were all over. Third, the business owners seem to be slacking on sweeping/cleaning their sidewalks. I actually had one small owner tell me, "I don't sweep- it'll blow down the block to so and so's place. Let them clean it."

There seems to be a lack of enforcement on Sanitation's part as well. When I worked on Tremont about 20 years ago, we swept 2-3x a day because you'd quickly get ticketed. Now I hear more resident complaints regarding Sanitaton tickets than businesses receiving tickets.

There's also been a lot of FB bellyaching about quality of life crimes, like tires/rims being stolen. Kids riding bikes in the street, etc. That was going on forever. Now social media is the outlet to have it heard/seen more easily.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:50 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post

Besides Riverdale, Throgs Neck is the 2nd best Middle Class neighborhood in the borough. Very affordable and safe, but ownership seems to be a bit pricey. The only con about the area is that its far from the city, and has weak transportation options besides the Throgs neck bridge and easy access to Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City