Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM

209 posts, read 253,438 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing and reading up that the Jewish population is started to regrow in Crown Heights, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and Flatbush.

OLD HISTORY
I have read that almost all of Brooklyn at one point was Jewish and Italians in the earlier part of the 20th century. The northern parts like Bedford-Stuvesant, Crown Heights, Flatbush, East Flatbush, Brownsville, East New York and Canarsie are now majority African-Americans and West Indians, but were entirely Jewish and Italian during the 1940s-50s.

RECENT HISTORY
From what I have been researching, when all of the Jewish and Italians cleared out of those northern sections of Brooklyn, only small numbers of Jewish remained in Crown Heights, but eventually started regrowing and now dominate half of Crown Heights. Even Flatbush and Bedford-Stuyvesant are now getting a significant increases in the Jewish population again, but still not quite like Crown Heights yet. In addition, with the gentrification, so many hipsters are starting to move into those sections as well.

Will The Jewish Start Moving Into The Neighboring African-American/Caribbean Enclaves, Which Were Once All Jewish/Italian?
I wonder if Crown Heights, Flatbush, and Bedford Stuyvesant became overcrowded with Jewish people again, but along with the hipsters, will the Jewish population begin spilling over into neighboring sections like Brownsville, East New York, East Flatbush and Canarsie, which were once also Jewish/Italian? Does anyone think this can be possible?

DIFFERENT JEWISH GROUPS IN DIFFERENT BROOKLYN AREAS
Also, I have noticed the Jewish in Northern Brooklyn are not even new immigrants, at least most of them are not. The Jewish new immigrants in Brooklyn are overwhelmingly Russian and from former Soviet Union countries and are mostly concentrated in the southern sections of Brooklyn such as Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach and some scattered in sections of Bensonhurst. Borough Park is also another large orthodox Jewish area, but many are American Born Jews.

I wonder with the Jewish population regrowing in northern sections of Brooklyn, if they are American Born Orthodox or not so Orthodox Jewish, where are they coming from if they are not new foreign immigrants and why are they choosing to settle in the northern sections of Brooklyn? Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
The ultra orthodox Jews believe in having as many children as possible. So it isn't surprising if their numbers are growing more than the rest of the population.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Donald Trump is going to be real happy about this.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Let's be real about why and with whom this is happening. After WWII, the remains certain ultra orthodox Jewish sects from Eastern Europe (the Hasidim), having been almost annihilated by the nazis, moved to and settled in Brooklyn. Then then set about to power breeding, to replace the numbers they lost. They've never stopped. So they've been continuous expanding in Brooklyn. Some have created satellite communities in the metro area (Kirias Joel), and are starting to squeeze out other residents their also.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:47 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Let's be real about why and with whom this is happening. After WWII, the remains certain ultra orthodox Jewish sects from Eastern Europe (the Hasidim), having been almost annihilated by the nazis, moved to and settled in Brooklyn. Then then set about to power breeding, to replace the numbers they lost. They've never stopped. So they've been continuous expanding in Brooklyn. Some have created satellite communities in the metro area (Kirias Joel), and are starting to squeeze out other residents their also.
Not only that but you could argue that the Jews are heavily involved in real estate and can dictate to a certain degree who moves where, since they own a lot of buildings.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
I have been hearing and reading up that the Jewish population is started to regrow in Crown Heights, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and Flatbush.

OLD HISTORY
I have read that almost all of Brooklyn at one point was Jewish and Italians in the earlier part of the 20th century. The northern parts like Bedford-Stuvesant, Crown Heights, Flatbush, East Flatbush, Brownsville, East New York and Canarsie are now majority African-Americans and West Indians, but were entirely Jewish and Italian during the 1940s-50s.

RECENT HISTORY
From what I have been researching, when all of the Jewish and Italians cleared out of those northern sections of Brooklyn, only small numbers of Jewish remained in Crown Heights, but eventually started regrowing and now dominate half of Crown Heights. Even Flatbush and Bedford-Stuyvesant are now getting a significant increases in the Jewish population again, but still not quite like Crown Heights yet. In addition, with the gentrification, so many hipsters are starting to move into those sections as well.

Will The Jewish Start Moving Into The Neighboring African-American/Caribbean Enclaves, Which Were Once All Jewish/Italian?
I wonder if Crown Heights, Flatbush, and Bedford Stuyvesant became overcrowded with Jewish people again, but along with the hipsters, will the Jewish population begin spilling over into neighboring sections like Brownsville, East New York, East Flatbush and Canarsie, which were once also Jewish/Italian? Does anyone think this can be possible?

DIFFERENT JEWISH GROUPS IN DIFFERENT BROOKLYN AREAS
Also, I have noticed the Jewish in Northern Brooklyn are not even new immigrants, at least most of them are not. The Jewish new immigrants in Brooklyn are overwhelmingly Russian and from former Soviet Union countries and are mostly concentrated in the southern sections of Brooklyn such as Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach and some scattered in sections of Bensonhurst. Borough Park is also another large orthodox Jewish area, but many are American Born Jews.

I wonder with the Jewish population regrowing in northern sections of Brooklyn, if they are American Born Orthodox or not so Orthodox Jewish, where are they coming from if they are not new foreign immigrants and why are they choosing to settle in the northern sections of Brooklyn? Does anyone know?
Russian Jews are also in Coney Island, Gravesend, Midwood, and some in Bay Ridge.

The Jews in the northern parts of Brooklyn (including Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, and Williamsburg) are a mixture of hipsters/gentrifiers (some of whom happen to be secular or liberal Jews) and ultra-Orthodox including hasidic Jews.

I do think that there is a population of Modern Orthodox Jews who have started moving across Nostrand Avenue from Midwood/Flatbush into East Flatbush.
There have always been some Jews in Canarsie, not sure if the population is increasing Jewishly.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
There are also new arrivals of Bukharan Jews from Central Asia (Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, etc) who settle in Midwood, Borough Park and elsewhere. Although some of them speak Russian, and come from the former Soviet Union, they are much more religious than Russian Jews of Brighton beach and come from a different branch of Jews.

Central European and Eastern (including Polish and Russian) Jews are Ashkenazi, Bukharan Jews are Sephardic.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Orthodox Jews have a lot of kids so it's no wonder their population is expanding. What I'm curious about is how this expansion conflicts with the increasing rents and property values in Crown Heights/Bed Stuy. For example there are (a lot of?) orthodox developers. Do they build for their growing population in these neighborhoods or the gentrifying population? I'm assuming the gentrifying population would be charged more to rent/buy than the orthodox population.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Orthodox Jews have a lot of kids so it's no wonder their population is expanding. What I'm curious about is how this expansion conflicts with the increasing rents and property values in Crown Heights/Bed Stuy. For example there are (a lot of?) orthodox developers. Do they build for their growing population in these neighborhoods or the gentrifying population? I'm assuming the gentrifying population would be charged more to rent/buy than the orthodox population.
Remember, most of those buildings in Crown Heights/Bed Stuy/Bushwick where blacks and hispanics live are owned by jews already. The jews rent out to whoever pays the highest price. The jews have no problem renting to hipsters in Williamsburg and Bushwick either.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Trump want a to cut welfare. Jews are a bulk of his constituency. How will this play out when Jewish poverty still exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City