Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:28 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have you ever been out to SI? Many areas of the North Shore have beautiful streets/areas of nice older homes in "garden" or "suburban" settings complete with Tudor style houses.

Livingston, New Brighton, Randall Manor, Westerleigh, Stapleton Heights
No, nor am I going to be. Are their overall collections as well planned? Or is it more like Riverdale or Jamaica Estates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:28 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You are comparing the nicest block in Brooklyn to an immigrant block in Queens. The nicest homes in both boros are in Forest Hills Gardens, Queens. With Brooklyn Heights coming in at a close second.
Wrong

Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 PM

85 posts, read 87,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
I think those hipsters living in BK cannot afford the private schools. they are not like those ultra rich living in Manhattan. They will realize what a bad deal (bad schools) they are getting living in BK when they are ready to raise their kids

We have plenty of 40 something hipsters moving into my neighborhood to raise their children. Greenpoint has a very good elementary school system.

You sound bitter because Brooklyn is so much more desirable then Queens. I mean, seriously, is this what keeps you up at night?

Old 01-13-2017, 01:51 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No, nor am I going to be. Are their overall collections as well planned? Or is it more like Riverdale or Jamaica Estates?

Since have only ever been to Riverdale (and parts of Yonkers) will say the homes/areas on SI lean in that direction. That is they aren't usually planned communities, but streets where homes were built.

One thing to remember is large parts of the North Shore of SI were once "summer homes" for the rich from Manhattan, much like say Newport, RI, but not on that grand scale. When you consider the hills that rise south of Richmond Terrace and views of the Kill van Kull/New York harbor it makes sense. Not to mention it would be much cooler, something that is still true today.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
I just don't get it when people make false claim like BK is much more desirable than QUeens. In what sense? QUeens has better schools, has better food, and is much safer. BK is desirable because it has more hipsters and COOLER? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriny View Post
We have plenty of 40 something hipsters moving into my neighborhood to raise their children. Greenpoint has a very good elementary school system.

You sound bitter because Brooklyn is so much more desirable then Queens. I mean, seriously, is this what keeps you up at night?

Old 01-13-2017, 02:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
I just don't get it when people make false claim like BK is much more desirable than QUeens. In what sense? QUeens has better schools, has better food, and is much safer. BK is desirable because it has more hipsters and COOLER? LOL
Now you get it. I think the only other boro that can potentially compete with the former Brooklyn attitude would be The Bronx. Imagine going back to Nebraska and telling everyone that you're from The Bronx. How cool would that be. Thats right not Bronx, but The Bronx. Just don't get all worked up when row homes with crappy schools and pitbull poo lined streets in the Bronx go 7 figures.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

It just is more desirable, hence the real estate prices. My part of Brooklyn is probably one of the safest in both Brooklyn and Queens put together. We have tons of great restaurants. Our school is great. I'm not speaking for every single neighborhood in Brooklyn. There are some great neighborhoods in Queens as well. I am from living room to desk in 23 minutes so commute is another big thing. You keep calling Brooklyn unsafe. There are few and far between areas now that are unsafe. The same could be said for Queens. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Queens that are considered unsafe as well.

I'm not a transplant, and I'm the furthest thing from a hipster you can find. I just don't get your angst over this particular matter. Is it worth the high blood pressure. It's almost 5 p.m. I think you need a drink.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Proximity to job employment centers is what it is. That's pretty direct. In a much more minor point, it's also having a larger secondary job employment center in Downtown Brooklyn/DUMBO than in LIC and with another smaller one in North Brooklyn to boot. Jobs matter and so do commutes.

Not sure about schools, but will debate better food. I think the two have different neighborhoods with different types of food. I like what's in Queens better, but I wouldn't be surprised if what's in Brooklyn is a better fit for other people's palettes. If anything, it's much more a neighborhood by neighborhood thing than a borough by borough thing.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:03 PM

[quote=OyCrumbler;46817463]Proximity to job employment centers is what it is. That's pretty direct. In a much more minor point, it's also having a larger secondary job employment center in Downtown Brooklyn/DUMBO than in LIC and with another smaller one in North Brooklyn to boot. Jobs matter and so do commutes.

Not sure about schools, but will debate better food. I think the two have different neighborhoods with different types of food. I like what's in Queens better, but I wouldn't be surprised if what's in Brooklyn is a better fit for other people's palettes. If anything, it's much more a neighborhood by neighborhood thing than a borough by borough thing.[/quote]

This! 100%

Old 01-13-2017, 02:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
Why you claim BK is closer to job centers? BK is closer to downtown but Queens is closer to Midtown. Midtown is way bigger a job market than Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Proximity to job employment centers is what it is. That's pretty direct. In a much more minor point, it's also having a larger secondary job employment center in Downtown Brooklyn/DUMBO than in LIC and with another smaller one in North Brooklyn to boot. Jobs matter and so do commutes.

Not sure about schools, but will debate better food. I think the two have different neighborhoods with different types of food. I like what's in Queens better, but I wouldn't be surprised if what's in Brooklyn is a better fit for other people's palettes. If anything, it's much more a neighborhood by neighborhood thing than a borough by borough thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City