Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 12,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyneer View Post
I had to wait a few weeks for Verizon to set up more equipment in the building before they could install in my apartment. I tried to set up online to avoid the $49 installation fee through Jermaine (the rep for the building) but it didn't recognize the building on their website, and I had to end up calling Jermaine and having him do some stuff on their end in order to make it work, and so paying the $49. It's ridiculous, and I feel nickel-and-dimed, but that's Verizon for you. I feel like they blocked online setup for the building in order to have Jermaine make his commission. Anyone else have the same or a different experience?
Yea, similar experience here but I was contacted by a woman and quoted $99 install fee and asked if she could do any better but she never responded so I went online and called just a general number and managed to get around the install fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
Thumbs down Disappointed in lottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtonyny View Post
Update: Was called for viewing of a band 4 1 BR so not sure what happened, maybe prior candidates are dropping off. Resending all my paperwork now for re approval and to go look at the apartments again this week. Band 4 1BR seems more reasonably affordable so I'll see if I get a good one and decide then.
I don't know if anyone is still checking this. I have been reading this thread for the past few weeks and it has made me much more informed. I wish I had come on here back in August when I first got called for this lottery. My lottery number is 88,xxx, which is very high, but I had CB preference. Band 4. I interviewed in August and got all of my paperwork approved. I never viewed an apt. Then, I was told that I was only eligible for a Band 4 studio and put on the waitlist (I got the waitlist notification in early 2018). I was surprised by this because my salary fell in the range for a Band 4 studio and 1 bedroom, as well as a Band 5 studio. I figured they must calculate income differently and didn't push the issue because the 1 bedroom is hundreds of dollars more expensive than my current 1 bedroom in a very desirable part of Brooklyn. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I saw 38 sixth being put on the open market and wondered if they had gone through all the lottery candidates. I reached out to MHANY to see if all of the band 4 apartments were filled and asked why my income didn't qualify for the 1 bedroom. They were very nice and responded quickly. The person who responded was different than the person who originally managed my case. She had me send updated financial documentation, which I did immediately. She confirmed that I qualified and set up a viewing for me. When I spoke to her, she said that I "must have gotten a raise." However, I have not. My salary is exactly the same as it was in August and as was stated in my employment verification back then, so the person who initially viewed my file obviously screwed up.

If justtonyny viewed a Band 4 1 bedroom in May and did not have CB preference, then I definitely got skipped in line by who knows how many people. I bring this up because I viewed the remaining two Band 4 1 bedrooms today and they were abysmal - small, terrible views, miniscule windows (not to mention someone had taken a dump in the bathroom toilet). I immediately told them I was no longer interested in continuing with the lottery. But now I wonder if there were other Band 4 1 bedrooms (or even Band 5 studios) that were considerably nicer that I missed out on because of their screw up. I can't imagine anyone paying that rent for the apartments I saw. Those of you who saw Band 4 1 bedrooms, what was your experience (for some reason, the images and floorplans that other people posted do not show up on the thread for me)? Or were apartments in the other bands just better than band 4?

justtonyny, did you end up taking an apartment in 38 sixth?

Old 07-05-2018, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 14,368 times
For those already living in the building, just wondering how your A/C units have performed in the heat wave the last week.

Also, do you know if the building is still going to have bike storage and/or if it is available yet?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 37,508 times
My bedroom AC started leaking earlier this week. Apparently, they'll have AC techs come in on Monday.
They said it was a common problem in the building - not sure if that's an issue with the PTACs in general, or whether they were shoddily installed, to begin with...
I'm also quite annoyed that the rooftop lounge hasn't opened yet. They said 2-3 weeks when they wanted me to sign the lease in March, and it's still not open. The answer is the same every time I ask - "2-3 weeks", and they'll probably open it after summer has passed. Frustrating.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 AM

220 posts, read 196,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyneer View Post
My bedroom AC started leaking earlier this week. Apparently, they'll have AC techs come in on Monday.
They said it was a common problem in the building - not sure if that's an issue with the PTACs in general, or whether they were shoddily installed, to begin with...
I'm also quite annoyed that the rooftop lounge hasn't opened yet. They said 2-3 weeks when they wanted me to sign the lease in March, and it's still not open. The answer is the same every time I ask - "2-3 weeks", and they'll probably open it after summer has passed. Frustrating.
My bedroom unit hasn't leaked but they fixed it (would shut off after turning on for a few minutes)

Now i use it pretty much everyday since i work nights and sleep daytime which tend to be at the hottest and my apt faces the sun.

I have been waiting for the rooftop too...do you know if we will be able to take guests up there? (unlike the gym)

Old 07-09-2018, 04:11 AM

220 posts, read 196,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delish_dish View Post
For those already living in the building, just wondering how your A/C units have performed in the heat wave the last week.

Also, do you know if the building is still going to have bike storage and/or if it is available yet?
Haven't heard about the bike storage or ever seen a bike brought into the building by any residents for the matter. I now use CitiBikes daily so I no longer plan on buying a bike.

Oh the AC works well. Helps also that i have room darkening curtains up behind the blinds...

Old 07-09-2018, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,542 times
I've been here since June and they performed pretty well during last week's heatwave. I haven't any issues with leaking. 2-3 weeks seems to be the universal answer around the resident lounge and bike storage. Does anyone know when the parking lot will be available? Is there a special rate for tenants?

Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
The building parking is market rate. No discounts. Expect $400+ monthly and it's the only lot on the block of Barclay so expect traffic.

The gym is rather small, so I think the no guests policy makes sense.

If you have big things to throw out (ex. bed frames), did they say how that's handled?

Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,541 times
Anyone have spectrum in the building?

Old 07-23-2018, 10:22 PM

26 posts, read 15,623 times
Not sure if current residents are checking this but curious how everyone is liking it? My main concern is the noise from the Barclays center when there are shows/games and the general feeling of being in the middle of chaos when walking around or getting home.

I toured a studio last week and it was gorgeous, much bigger and well laid out than the one i saw at 535 Carlton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery