Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 PM

92,304 posts, read 122,573,532 times

Advertisements

I was going to say that many are just moving to select middle class diverse or even predominantly Black suburbs on Long Island, Westchester, Rockland or to NJ, CT or even PA within the metro. SE Queens, parts of Central/South Brooklyn and select Northern Bronx neighborhoods are lower to straight middle class options within the city.

Keep in mind that the Blackest major cities in NY State are in Upstate NY, as Rochester, Buffalo, Albany and Syracuse are all roughly in the 30-42% Black range and in that order. Rochester currently has its second Black mayor and Buffalo's mayor is also Black(Queens native Byron Brown). Ithaca's mayor and school super are Black. Oneida had a recent mayor that is Black and is a native. Madison and Chemung counties have Sheriffs that are Black. There are others in leadership positions.

Poughkeepsie is about 1/3 Black. Cities like Schenectady, Niagara Falls, Newburgh, Middletown, Troy, Beacon, Hudson, Elmira, Kingston and Utica are all roughly in the 15-30% Black range. You also have others that are roughly in the 10-15% range like Binghamton, Watervliet, Auburn and Geneva, among maybe a few others. This doesn't include Upstate suburban areas that are around 10%, give or take, like Rush-Henrietta, East Irondequoit, Gates-Chili, Jamesville-DeWitt, Lackawanna, Cheektowaga Central; smaller communities like Nedrow, Lyons, Albion or Upstate's Blackest suburban district in Cleveland Hill(about 21-22% Black, with Blacks actually having a median household income around the state figure). Just so people don't think I'm making that up: Cleveland Hill Union Free School District Income and Careers - USA.com™ So, some just go Upstate and join the communities already in place in other parts of the state.

Check this out: BlackDemographics.com | Black Population by State

BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2017 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,896,038 times
I doubt the original premise of the thread, but I am too lazy to pull up old census numbers.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:29 AM

636 posts, read 606,023 times
Are Afro-Caribbean people still coming in such large numbers? I thought I read somewhere that their immigrant numbers have ebbed in recent years.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:51 PM

193 posts, read 281,139 times
I don't think the Black population will decrease by much, however the types of Black people in NYC is changing. Aside from the influx of immigrants from the Caribbean, Latin America and the continent of Africa, the Black population in NYC also is experiencing an influx of Black American transplants, especially in the young Black professional scene. As a native New Yorker who is Black American and a young professional, I don't see or meet many people like myself in that scene. Just like how gentrifiers/White transplants move into low income predominantly Black/Latino communities, Black transplants do the same. Their mentality unfortunately shares too much in common with their White counterparts; that same sense of entitlement/superiority complex over native low income/working class Black New Yorkers. I think the increase of Black transplants will dilute the unique Black New York culture, whereas immigrant Black people tend to add to it. This could be a class thing as well, as most Black immigrants are lower/working class, while most Black transplants are middle class college educated professionals. Lower/working class people tend to want to assimilate more, rather than want everyone else around them to accommodate to their interests/desires.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peezo View Post
A decline in the economy no more Nike,Polo ect...
Nike, Under Armour Invade NYC | Fox Business

Old 01-18-2017, 01:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,851,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
I don't think the Black population will decrease by much, however the types of Black people in NYC is changing. Aside from the influx of immigrants from the Caribbean, Latin America and the continent of Africa, the Black population in NYC also is experiencing an influx of Black American transplants, especially in the young Black professional scene. As a native New Yorker who is Black American and a young professional, I don't see or meet many people like myself in that scene. Just like how gentrifiers/White transplants move into low income predominantly Black/Latino communities, Black transplants do the same. Their mentality unfortunately shares too much in common with their White counterparts; that same sense of entitlement/superiority complex over native low income/working class Black New Yorkers. I think the increase of Black transplants will dilute the unique Black New York culture, whereas immigrant Black people tend to add to it. This could be a class thing as well, as most Black immigrants are lower/working class, while most Black transplants are middle class college educated professionals. Lower/working class people tend to want to assimilate more, rather than want everyone else around them to accommodate to their interests/desires.
As someone who was born in NYC, if we're honest Native Black New Yorkers have low rates of high school graduation. low rates of college education, and high rates of incarceration (this is a national issue as well). Things are pretty grim and will continue to be grim unless people become more aware of things and more proactive on change.

Black transplants? What is a Black transplant? There have always been African Americans who moved to NYC. You won't find Black families that go back in NYC multiple generations. Majority of Black people here who were born here are first or second generation, their parents or grandparents came from the US South, the Caribbean, Latin America, or Africa.

Black college graduates moving to NYC happened even during the days of segregation.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,957,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Are Afro-Caribbean people still coming in such large numbers? I thought I read somewhere that their immigrant numbers have ebbed in recent years.
Lets not forget that now NYC is not the main point of immigration anymore for the Caribbean. For the past few years it has been Miami. Also immigrants are by passing NYC all together. However, their is no doubt that NYC will still receive immigrants. I think the last decade the largest contributor to immigration in NYS has been the Dominican Republic. Another source of black immigrants has been Jamaica and Guyana. I just read a report that Guyana black population has been on the decline for years, most are moving to NYC and Toronto. Countries such as Trinidad and Tobago, and Barbados are pretty much developed, and the NYC will still receive less and less immigrants from those two countries. I wonder if Cuban migration will ramp up, but Obama just suspended dry foot/ wet foot for Cubans. Colombia econonmy is rising, and the US will see a decline in immigrants from there, however the black population remains marginlized. Black Venezuelans will also probably leave Venezuela due to increased inequality, high inflation of the economy, lack of opportunities and crime wave going on in that country. I know of a family relative that has family in Venezuela, they are planning on heading to the US, but not sure if NYC will be the main point of entry.

Quote:
I also agree, it will probably remain stagnant like the white population, but with a slight drop just like the white population. And you are right about the recent black transplants. The black transplants are no different than white transplants. Very career oriented, ambitious, highly educated, suburban mentality mindset and so on. Nothing wrong with this, but like I said before. Middle America has durf or limited professional jobs. This is the reason why here in NYC and places like DC, has so many Transplants. So for many middle Americans with professional degrees, advanced degrees, BA/BS; these folks will have to move to a major hub for work such as NYC, DC, SF. This is the reason why I hope Donald Trump can fix middle America so that jobs can be created, and these industrial jobs also need a professional sector component to it as well, such as payroll, accountants, accounts etc. Thus making professional jobs more easy to obtain for the NYC local public educated college grad population. On the flip side, firms, companies and corporations will have to spend more money on training people due to the lack of skill set of the local populace vs the go getter transient crowd. When it is all said and done, I see why plenty of business class folks were against Bernie and Trump to a certain degree. In matter of fact, when I was out in Vegas. I met an African American woman from Illinois, she graduated from Chicago University and is moving to NYC for work. She got offended when I said if she is from South Side.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM

306 posts, read 282,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Illusion View Post
Stats show there is a decline in blacks in the big Apple. What does this mean for crime, safety, and culture in the city?

You sounded RIDICULOUS , stupid , hateful , racist scum

Last edited by bax2222; 01-18-2017 at 04:30 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Illusion View Post
Peezo you sound very delusional and emotional. What will most likely happen is a strong decline in unemployment, welfare abuse, homicide, subway begging, and quality-of-life should rise
Don't forget most people who are on welfare are WHITE , white people receive food stamp more than any other groups. From an article of the Huffington post

Old 01-18-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
A lot of black immigrants are middle class and upper middle class , you are wrong on that when you say most are lower \ working class , and by the way black immigrants work harder than native blacks here in NYC a lot of blacks from the Caribbean and Africa are hard worker and able to keep a middle class lifestyle , you might mistake them with black transplant you mentioned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City