Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 03:34 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times

Advertisements

Sadly, the thought of getting one's hands dirty is much too much for many people to accept :/ Surely we will all survive by pushing paper? oh wait. Or maybe by hitting SEND. :/ You know what was SENT a loooooooooong time ago? Our jobs hitting SEND. Refurbish oneself is the only way any of us are going to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 03:41 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
interesting enough , i worked for a industrial pump manufacturer and control panel builder and recently retired . we made our products here in long island . but we reached a point manufacturing here was giving us a big disadvantage and we could not compete with our competitors .

so we switched to manufacturing the components over to a brand new cnc factory in china .

once again we were competitive in the market place winning bids .

the company grew so much because we were able to grow the business and offer world class products at competitive prices that we had become one of long islands largest employers .

we do all design ,assembly , engineering , control panel building and testing all right here in long island . the pump castings are made in china and mexico depending who is more competitive .

had we had to continue with manufacturing here and the epa , we would have been gone years ago instead of having facility's now in long island , brooklyn , ohio , new jersey , boston , rockchester and CT employing a few hundred workers in all capacity's from driver to warehouse to accounting right through to sales and engineering ..

on one hand we gave up the component manufacturing business but that let the company grow and hire so many more american workers . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-22-2017 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would bet he does not interview well either just based on the interaction here, but that's my opinion
Certainly possible, but no one will know that for certain until he gets an interview.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:15 AM

just wish him luck .

Old 01-23-2017, 08:59 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He is a regular poster and has mentioned being in his 50s, being homeless long term, and living in shelters for quite some time. He has mentioned on other threads getting money from people off the street. He's not in a good place, and hasn't been for some time. I don't think you repeating your story about how you struggled from the projects to being rich is helping him, and it sounds like you're mocking him/kicking him while he's down/judging him.

Have some sympathy for other people, and do realize that some people have mental and medical issues that prevent them from working. And as another poster said, the longer one has been unemployed, the harder it is to find work. Especially for someone in their 50s. He may never get another good paying job again, especially if his field has left NYC or has diminished so much there are no more jobs in the city. And I don't think a homeless man in his 50s is going to just get up and move to where the jobs are (and even if he did, he'd be homeless in his new place and there'd be a good chance he still wouldn't find work).

I think the OP should get all the help he can, including applying for disability and whatever other programs he can get. If he is able to find work later on, and it's enough to sustain him and he is able to stay on the job he can always report his income and get social services discontinued. If not on social services at least he'll have a stable place to stay, and getting a stable place to stay goes a long way in treating depression and other mental illness.

Some of you on this forum go way too far in dehumanizing poor people, or people who aren't otherwise successful, and your words may be extremely hurtful to those with mental illness or who otherwise realistically can't succeed.

Thanks. I really am trying.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would bet he does not interview well either just based on the interaction here, but that's my opinion

I really TRY. I research the company; I look into what they do. Apparently, not good enough. 30 year old hiring managers. All computer heads.

I call them the "stupids".

Old 01-23-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I heard there's a big demand for "chemists" who work in tucked away warehouses or basements producing "solutions" that sell in the streets for $600/ounce.

No thanks.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 AM

The last outing: two interviews. They wanted someone to do all manner of research into something...at the end of interview #2 I asked for money.

They did not even offer me carfare. Rich company, too. Third interview? Don't think so.

They apparently have 5 other applicants. Go hire one. You'll get some clueless ninny who knows nothing.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM

they didn't offer you carfare ? ha ha ha , now that is a new one .

Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I agree with writerdude on this one. Sorry but the thread is not about you. I don't suppose you were in your 50s and living in shelters when you retooled your career anyway?

I feel for you WildcardSteve. Keep applying and trying to stay positive, but also apply for disability.

It's pointless. No. Jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City