Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:47 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times

Advertisements

I also saw the protests are at airports in Seattle and San Francisco but much smaller than NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 07:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Why doesnt an oil rich country such as Saudi Arabia take them in?
Right after they put on a US style shock and awe campaign in Yemen to put down people trying to over throw a ruler who happened to be a Saudi ally. You've got to read stuff that hasn't been blacked out by mainstream media.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:27 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
No suprise the Saudis aren't on this pretty questionably racist list since Trump has business interests there.
Just like President Bush having the US attack Iraq after 9/11....

At least for now I assume the protesters have gone: http://nypost.com/2017/01/28/federal...ps-travel-ban/

Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 AM

I get Iraq and Syria because of ISIS/ISIL/Islamic State/Daesh with their kidnappings, beheadings, brutal live burnings and threats to the West, ect.

Yemen is where one of the larger branches of Al-Qaeda (AQ) is. Those guys didn't just go away with ISIS/ISIL on the main stage. I believe it's their headquarters now since Bin Laden's death.

It took me a little longer to remember but there are the Somolia pirates that board boats and take hostages. Also Al-Shabab.

The Iran thing has been going on since 1979 with the Ayatollah Khomeini calling the west the great satan. Then all the middle east proxy wars with them and us.

In Sudan is the Janjaweed of Darfur, and Boko Haram that kidnapped 214 school girls and pledged allegiance to ISIL.

I saw protests in Salt Lake City airport too online. I think after the federal judge ruling they all called it a victory and went home for the night but I'm not certain.

Man this is going to be an interesting Presidency.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 01-29-2017 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 AM

42 posts, read 48,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
And when they've claimed no US citizens killed or harmed in these countries it's like they've forgotten Benghazi, or the journalists killed covering Syria, or the soldiers killed in Iraq, or the citizens held in prisons as spies in Iran for years when they're really not spies.

This is coming across the fb feed now. The ban is halted by the lawyers, federal judges and courts through NY. http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/28/14...mmigration-ban
They mean that no terrorist attacks have been committed by people from these countries on American Soil. The big offenders are Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Labanon and Pakistan. But those are countries where Trump has business interests, so of course they are exempt. Trump just wants to be able to say that he is "protecting our country from Muslim extremists", judging from the responses from his supporters, it doesn't actually matter if that's true or not.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raginrivers View Post
They mean that no terrorist attacks have been committed by people from these countries on American Soil. The big offenders are Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Labanon and Pakistan. But those are countries where Trump has business interests, so of course they are exempt. Trump just wants to be able to say that he is "protecting our country from Muslim extremists", judging from the responses from his supporters, it doesn't actually matter if that's true or not.

I see. So their point is more about Trump's hypocrisy.

Rather than if any of those countries banned produce any actual threat to us on our soil despite prevailing circumstance of US citizens being taken hostage and/or killed on their soil by terrorists.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:02 AM

Remember in 2013 when they issued a global travel alert and shuttered 21 embassies and several outposts due to an intercepted AQ threat? Wasn't there an attack that happened at the US embassy in Turkey after? I seem to remember an attempt after all the embassies reopened but it wasn't big and they didn't get past the first fortification wall.

Imagine if Trump had issued the ban on all those countries based on that prior threat assessment instead of just those 7 countries.

Larger interactive map of outposts and embassies closed. Maps: Locations of U.S. Embassies And Consulates Closes | See the World Through Interactive Maps

Old 01-29-2017, 08:16 AM

42 posts, read 48,474 times
Trump's verbatim claim for signing the Executive Order to ban Muslims from certain countries: "I am establishing new vetting measures to keep radical Islamic terrorists out of the United States of America. We don't want them here."
However, Muslim countries with deep-seated ties to terrorism on US soil but where Trump has hotels, weren't listed on the ban while Muslim countries who have no citizens who've committed attacks here are, then yes we should have a problem with that. His entire premise is bull. This whole thing is just a way of him posturing that he is "protecting America" from terrorists.
That bring said that is not the only reason that people are protesting. Legal residents with visas, greencards and dual citizenships are also being banned from returning. Imagine returning from a trip only to be told that you can't come back to your family, friends, home, job, etc... This should infuriate everyone. The fact that it doesn't is very telling.
Note: I am in no way implying that ANY countries should be banned. The actions of a few extremists don't represent entire countries or religions. If that's the case, all white men should also be banned due to all the mass shootings.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:18 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
No suprise the Saudis aren't on this pretty questionably racist list since Trump has business interests there.
Not "there". HERE. The Saudis are his biggest clients buying apartments in his buildings in the city.

“Saudi Arabia — and I get along great with all of them. They buy apartments from me,” Trump said in Mobile, Ala.

“They spend $40 million, $50 million. Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydai...icle-1.2777211

Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 AM

108 posts, read 81,586 times
This is what I love about this country whenever one side goes too far the other side acts like a conscience based off the constitution and pulls back the side that went too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not "there". HERE. The Saudis are his biggest clients buying apartments in his buildings in the city.

“Saudi Arabia — and I get along great with all of them. They buy apartments from me,” Trump said in Mobile, Ala.

“They spend $40 million, $50 million. Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydai...icle-1.2777211
Although it also sounds like the left is encouraging Trump to fairly do something in which they really don't want.
I really can't get this mindset at all, the far right was calling foul under Obama and wanted the Saudis to be sued and be held accountable, but under Trump it's ok to not have a ban imposed on them even if there's no logic behind not banning them aside for Trump having many businesses in Saudi, or pay by play for Saudi. He's not even targeting all of the countries Daesh is currently residing in otherwise the Philippines and Nigeria would've been included as there are a lot of Isis activities going on over there. What's even more ironic is there's actually a lot of friction between Trump and Nigeria, just as much as there is between him and Mexico.

“President Obama’s veto of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act is shameful and will go down as one of the low points of his presidency,”
-Trump's opinion about Saudi

Last edited by SaltyPenguin; 01-29-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: