Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,905 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to queens soon and am looking for a studio/1bdr apt in the sunnyside/woodside areas for ~$1k-1300 per month.

I am a 26yo single male. I would like to have close(ish) proximity to the subway to manhattan because of work but this isn't a major deal. I like all types of sport so plenty of gyms, basketball courts and playing fields in the area is what i'm looking for.I also like whiskey and beer so any sports bars in the vicinity is a plus( i'm not picky about cocktail bars or up market spots just a place to chill and have a few drinks after work).Ofc nice restaurants are always a big plus but again isn't so big a deal.

Does my price estimate sound right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 06:38 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
$1500 to $1700 dependant on search skills.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM

782 posts, read 527,031 times
Are you Irish, from Ireland? Your price range seems too low based on internet listings for the area (StreetEasy is one website to use), but I believe this area is historically Irish and I do occasionally hear people with Irish accents. I suggest visiting the area in person and asking around. Talk to some brokers too. There might be some long-time landlords who prefer to rent out to people of the same ethnicity and you might find places that are below market and not widely advertised. Possibly apartments in 2 or 3 family homes.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:25 PM

126 posts, read 169,387 times
I passed on a $1350/month studio with a foyer in a decent building and a $1k/month tiny 1bedroom basement in Woodside last year. The studio I found walking around, basement through craigslist. I'd say finding something around $1400 would definitely be possible but like a poster above me mentioned, its largely dependent on search skills.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
$1400 sounds about right for a studio in an elevator building. You might get a better price in a smaller building. The way to get a below-market price (and possibly avoid a broker's fee) is to network with friends/family and/or people from your home country or ethnic group. If you are Irish from Ireland, contact some Irish organizations or research some Irish-oriented websites. There is an Irish newspaper with classifieds but it seems to focus on Woodlawn moreso than Woodside.

There are several gyms in the area. Try looking on Yelp for reviews on the gyms. Not sure about the outdoor sports but Google maps would most likely show you where the outdoor space is.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Hardly any Irish live in either of those neighborhoods anymore. I recommend looking into nearby Maspeth, Middle Village, or Glendale instead.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
the area still has its Irish resident, but also from Nepal, Philipines, Bangledeshi, and others. Not a bad neighborhood. Woodisde Avenue bars is where you should visit during the after noon.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
While Woodside/Sunnyside still retains a large Irish identity along with sizable population, IIRC it has dwindled over the years. Once "the Troubles" ended (or at least cease fire was declared) in Ireland back in 1997 influx into that area slowed and or some even went back.

Keep in mind the late 1990's through 2000's was also the era of the "Celtic Tiger" when Ireland's economy was booming. Many Irish who were here *ahem* illegally decided to go back home for better economic opportunities.

If you want a true hard core Irish-American area probably one of the last remaining in NYC is Woodlawn.

NYC’s Micro Neighborhoods: Little Ireland in Woodlawn, The Bronx | Untapped Cities

Irish invasion coming to Woodlawn - NY Daily News

Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,905 times
Thank you to everyone for the replies.I just arrived here and am temporarily living upstate in Pearl river with an uncle.Today, I am going to go check out some of the neighborhoods you guys/girls mentioned in the comments. I am Irish from Ireland fwiw. Everyone I have talked to over here so far did say to wait a little time that some Irish guy will always pop up with some room to offer at a great price.... I'll figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: