Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 PM

575 posts, read 672,030 times

Advertisements

According to CBP I can only bring in 1 L of alcohol Duty Free. My buddy asked for two saying I could simply pay the Duty on the 2nd bottle.

BUT, I have had Global Entry for 6 years and never once did I bring in anything requiring a Duty to be paid.

I can't try to sneak one in as if you do antything like that, and get caught, CBP cancels your Global Entry and you are banned for life.

Would the proper thing to be to declare it at the kiosk, then zip thru Immigration, then point it out to a Customs Agent, who normally waves me thru? But where do I go to pay the Duty and how time consuming might it be? I had 5 International flights last year and I feel like an idiot asking what may be a stupid question.

Or should I tell my buddy to F off and be happy I am bringing him one bottle of a tequila he is not able to find here. [El Secreto Blanco]

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Tell him to f-off and appreciate his 1 bottle

Old 02-07-2017, 08:07 AM

274 posts, read 297,431 times
Yup. And I've brought in a lot more - declared them - and didn't pay taxes. Therefore, isn't it less than one liter?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
Yup. And I've brought in a lot more - declared them - and didn't pay taxes. Therefore, isn't it less than one liter?
Isn't what less than one liter?

Two 700 ml bottles are 1.4 liters.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
You can bring in as much alcohol as would be reasonable for personal use. Meaning you can bring in several bottles. Now if you're flying out of the country weekly and bringing lots of bottles in, that's a red flag, and you'll likely get issues. But you can definitely bring in more than one bottle or more than one liter.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
The allowance is 1 litre. Anything above you are subject to duty. It is the officer's discretion whether or not to charge. However it would be more of a headache if you don't declare it and you are stopped. So just declare it and pay the duty if requested at customs. Don't be the global entry person who thinks that the rules does not apply to them so they don't need to declare. That is the fastest way to have your global entry privilege revoked.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You can bring in as much alcohol as would be reasonable for personal use. Meaning you can bring in several bottles. Now if you're flying out of the country weekly and bringing lots of bottles in, that's a red flag, and you'll likely get issues. But you can definitely bring in more than one bottle or more than one liter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
The allowance is 1 litre. Anything above you are subject to duty. It is the officer's discretion whether or not to charge. However it would be more of a headache if you don't declare it and you are stopped. So just declare it and pay the duty if requested at customs. Don't be the global entry person who thinks that the rules does not apply to them so they don't need to declare. That is the fastest way to have your global entry privilege revoked.
Thanks and Thanks.

Do either of you know exactly where you pay, in relation to where you clear Customs? I'm arriving at Terminal 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City