Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:55 PM

19 posts, read 41,032 times

Advertisements

Thank you all. Right now I'm mostly focusing on my budget and commute. But if I had to pick I would choose a quieter area. However, I would be hard pressed to find it near Times Square. I have heard Yorkville is relatively more quiet but the commute can be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM

983 posts, read 927,520 times
My advice would be to deal with the longer commute in order to get some peace and quiet.

10-15 minutes is not really realistic anywhere. You can be in a nice quiet part of the upper west side and still get to times square via the 1 train or ABCD trains in about 20-25 minutes. You may have to be in a studio though, this is one of the most expensive areas of the city

Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 41,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
My advice would be to deal with the longer commute in order to get some peace and quiet.

10-15 minutes is not really realistic anywhere. You can be in a nice quiet part of the upper west side and still get to times square via the 1 train or ABCD trains in about 20-25 minutes. You may have to be in a studio though, this is one of the most expensive areas of the city
Thank you, Max. What do you think of the UES?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,132,689 times
Sunnyside along queens blvd. Less about 20 minutes to TQ. Very good option. Potentially great views.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM

991 posts, read 1,765,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishagizri View Post
Thank you all. Right now I'm mostly focusing on my budget and commute. But if I had to pick I would choose a quieter area. However, I would be hard pressed to find it near Times Square. I have heard Yorkville is relatively more quiet but the commute can be an issue.
Yorkville is quiet and a walkup at $2500 is doable. The commute is relatively new so I don't think anyone is going to be able to guarantee the 20 minute commute on the Q. That being said it's a single ride commute from one that used to be a two seat with a change either at Lex/53rd/GCT.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:35 AM

782 posts, read 524,405 times
Before the second avenue subway opened last month, the UES wouldn't even be a good option for you. Going over to the west side of Manhattan required a transfer. Also, some parts of the UES (basically if you lived east of 2nd ave) were actually a long trek to the Lexington train line (4/5/6). That's probably why you heard the commute was not good. And part of the reason why the UES has historically been one of the more affordable parts of Manhattan.

Now, the second avenue subway (the Q) gives many folks either a shorter walk to the subway or a direct way to get to the west side. In your situation, living close to the Q is a good option with a one-seat ride to Times Square. The UWS might be a bit better just because it offers multiple train lines on the west side (you have more alternatives if something goes wrong) but it is generally more expensive too. Slightly different vibes for each side. The west side has the theaters, Lincoln Center, Columbia and is more liberal. The UES has more museums and some parts with an older, more conservative feel. Not really major differences though.

Pretty much all of Queens, with the exception of Long Island City, is going to be cheaper. If you live very close to the N/Q train in Astoria or the 7 train in Sunnyside/Woodside, your commute should be within 30 minutes door-to-door. But very different vibes than living in Manhattan. Depends on what you want. I think if you can comfortably afford living in Manhattan, do that for at least your first year.

Last edited by MC305; 02-13-2017 at 05:44 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 07:59 PM

33 posts, read 27,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishagizri View Post
within 10-25 minutes of commute
Times Square is awful for commuting and you will soon understand why. If you expand this limit a little bit more, I think you can find some really great places in your price range.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 AM

4,017 posts, read 3,585,357 times
You have some pretty good options in NJ with a $2500 budget. Look at Weehawken, Hoboken, or downtown Jersey City. If you really want quiet, look at Rutherford and Secaucus.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Thomson Reuters?

Fortunately, almost all subway lines converge on Times Square. Consider the East Upper East Side (aka Yorkville) now well served by the delightfully convenient Second Avenue Subway. Blocks between First and Second Avenue tend to be the most reasonable rentals in Manhattan below 96th St. Unfortunately many are walk ups which will give you the hardest glutes in your office.
It is a very nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City