Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM

19 posts, read 40,774 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have a job offer in NYC. I will be working at 3 Times Square. I have only been to NYC once. I'm interested in finding a 1-BR to rent that is within 10-25 minutes of commute, relatively safe, and relatively affordable (~2,500 per month).

What are some of the neighborhoods I should look into and what is the budget I should have in mind? Also, is NJ an option too?

Thank you so much.

Last edited by alishagizri; 02-12-2017 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 10:41 AM

954 posts, read 931,002 times
Hell's Kitchen and the area around herald square garment district are all good choices. They are close to Times Square and you can get a 1 bed for around 2500. It won't be anything fancy (no elevator, who amenities, etc.) and you'll have to look pretty hard, but it's doable. You also might need to pay a dreaded Brockers fee for that price as well, but try to avoid it. If you find that everything your looking at has a brokers fee, try raising your price point (if possible) or lowering your expectations.

That goes for anywhere in midtown really. Keep in mind 10 minutes Is not really realistic unless you live right in Times Square. I worked at grand central which is 5 blocks away from Times Square, but during rush hour it would take me at least 35 minutes to get there. Times Square is like the third circle of hell and most New Yorkers avoid it like the plague.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
I don't know much about NJ so can't advise. But you could also look into Queens, specifically Astoria and Long Island City. I just Google mapped the commute for you from Broadway and 31st St. in Astoria to 3 Times Square and it's showing 22 minutes. Keep in mind, there are train delays and other reasons why your commute can and will take longer than what Google maps shows, but that is a ballpark figure. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/3+Ti...40.7619737!3e3

You can do a Google street view walk up Broadway (towards Steinway) to see if that kind of neighborhood would interest you. Astoria is huge and not all locations are near the train, so keep that in mind if you end up searching there.

Long Island City is another option with a slightly shorter commute than Astoria, but since most housing is brand new condos, you may not actually save money with the housing. However, if you're looking for tons of amenities like a doorman, gym, etc. then a new condo rental in LIC may be a good option.

LIC buildings/rentals http://streeteasy.com/buildings/long-island-city

Old 02-12-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Hell's Kitchen and the area around herald square garment district are all good choices. They are close to Times Square and you can get a 1 bed for around 2500. It won't be anything fancy (no elevator, who amenities, etc.) and you'll have to look pretty hard, but it's doable. You also might need to pay a dreaded Brockers fee for that price as well, but try to avoid it. If you find that everything your looking at has a brokers fee, try raising your price point (if possible) or lowering your expectations.

That goes for anywhere in midtown really. Keep in mind 10 minutes Is not really realistic unless you live right in Times Square. I worked at grand central which is 5 blocks away from Times Square, but during rush hour it would take me at least 35 minutes to get there. Times Square is like the third circle of hell and most New Yorkers avoid it like the plague.
Thanks, Lewis. Are the subways full during rush hour? I'm assuming that's why it takes much longer. What's your opinion on Yorkville or Murray Hill?

I have also heard some apartment buildings have their own shuttles that take you to Times Square. How common is this?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't know much about NJ so can't advise. But you could also look into Queens, specifically Astoria and Long Island City. I just Google mapped the commute for you from Broadway and 31st St. in Astoria to 3 Times Square and it's showing 22 minutes. Keep in mind, there are train delays and other reasons why your commute can and will take longer than what Google maps shows, but that is a ballpark figure. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/3+Ti...40.7619737!3e3

You can do a Google street view walk up Broadway (towards Steinway) to see if that kind of neighborhood would interest you. Astoria is huge and not all locations are near the train, so keep that in mind if you end up searching there.

Long Island City is another option with a slightly shorter commute than Astoria, but since most housing is brand new condos, you may not actually save money with the housing. However, if you're looking for tons of amenities like a doorman, gym, etc. then a new condo rental in LIC may be a good option.

LIC buildings/rentals List of Buildings in Long Island City | StreetEasy
Thanks, Henna. I will take a look at both. Have you had experience commuting between the two? Also, in what ways is LIC or Astoria different from the living in Manhattan, e.g. price, etc.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alishagizri View Post
Thanks, Lewis. Are the subways full during rush hour? I'm assuming that's why it takes much longer. What's your opinion on Yorkville or Murray Hill?

I have also heard some apartment buildings have their own shuttles that take you to Times Square. How common is this?
A mix between the subways being extremely full and the crowds. Your talking about the most crowed intersection in the world. It's going to be very hard to get where your going. My wife worked at a law firm located in Times Square and just walking from the the train to her building was a nightmare. You will get used to it but don't expect a short commute.

York like and Murray hill are ok, it depends what your looking for. Midtown east isn't the "cool" part of Manhattan. It's very "businessy" there. If you want cool nightlife/shopping you go downtown. You go to midtown for the convenience and proximity to the office. It's going to be dead there on the weekends.

It really depends what your looking for.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

LIC buildings/rentals List of Buildings in Long Island City | StreetEasy
No way your commute is that short during rush hour. You also have to take into consideration the distance from that broadway train. If you are far away or have to take a bus there forget about it.

Most new 1 bedrooms in LIC go for around $3000. You can get a studio for around $2500. If distance is a concern then for the price youd actually do better in midtown.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
No way your commute is that short during rush hour. You also have to take into consideration the distance from that broadway train. If you are far away or have to take a bus there forget about it.

Most new 1 bedrooms in LIC go for around $3000. You can get a studio for around $2500. If distance is a concern then for the price youd actually do better in midtown.
Yes, this is why I said Astoria "commute CAN and WILL take longer than 22 minutes." Not trying to deceive OP, just give options. I agree that LIC prices are similar to Midtown, and possibly what you'd gain in LIC is access to more amenities if that's important. I think I also stated that. I also mentioned that Astoria is large and not all locations are close to the train, so I think I covered all the bases.

I have no idea what's best for OP. I was just trying to give a few suggestions so that all could be considered.

And to OP, no, I don't have experience commuting from either Astoria or LIC to Times Square. I do like Astoria for the quieter vibe (Midtown is very noisy and crowded) and the restaurant scene is quite good, plus you have access to a few different trains and gyms, etc.

OP, that's all I'm able to contribute. Hope it was helpful.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,749,389 times
You can live anywhere in Upper east side from 72-96st (q train)
Anywhere in Upper West side since all the trains will bring you to 42st/Times Square.
Hells Kitchen would make you walk to work.

It really depends what is more important to you. Some people feel like they must have "everything" right outside there apt. Others want to live some place quiet, others want to live in an area that sounds cool to others cause they have self esteem problems. Others like to have spacious apts, others dont care about size, others like to save money, etc.

Figure out whats most important to you first.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:25 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,178,926 times
I'd live in Hells Kitchen so you can walk to work. Sign a lease for 1 year try it out. Then get to know the city and after your lease is up you can move else where if you don't like it or want a cheaper apartment. When your single and When you have decent money to spend like you do, you don't have to worry about being in a horrible neighborhood with shots flying every night so it really isn't that big of deal picking a place as you can always move later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City