Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Atlanta is not what I would consider. Too much sprawl.

You might love the crowds and being on the subway---I do not. I also no longer tolerate the cold very well, which is kind of a bummer to be because I like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, even though others might not. Given how walkable they are, however, they are pretty high on my list.

My sister said, "When I graduate from college, I am moving where it's warmer (to Florida) and that's that." And she did and she never looked back. That was almost twenty years ago now---I am getting old.
I have heard great things about Pittsburgh. I do not know. The name is just not appealing to me.

It is interesting that so many people are sensitive to the weather. I do not mind it. You can clear your head when walking on a cold day. I hate rain and wind. A nice day definitely can put you in a good mood.

I visited Florida. I really did not like it. Fortunately, I left the day the weather became intolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
NY has the high costs, the bad winters, the miserable summers, and the crappy state politics. Of course it's behind those which only have a few. And if the world's largest Red Lobster is urbanity and sophistication, give me the sticks.

Yeah, once you get out of the city proper there's some nice places near SF and DC. New Yorkers never get out of the city proper (unless they are ultra-rich) except maybe that one time they went to Jersey Gardens, which they'll tell their grandkids about, so it doesn't matter what's there.
That is not true. I visit other places.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:53 AM

I am planning on doing a day trip to California when I visit the west coast later this year. I know it is the NY forum but any suggestions? Some of you seem to be familiar with California. Is San Jose a viable option?

Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
I have lived in NYC all of my 64 years but have done a bit of traveling too. I love getting out of the city to explore the natural beauty of this country but no place I have ever been compares to NYC. The Theater , Arts and just the vibe of NYC is incredible. Sure there is bad here too but I am staying here to enjoy what it has to offer which is a lot.
I agree but I really do not partake in what NYC has to offer. I've been to the theater, museums and things like that but I really do not do anything on a regular basis. For some reason, I more apt to explore when I visit other places. Strange.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:16 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So on this the best place to live list we fall well behind the leaders -- such fabled outposts of urbanity and sophistication as Des Moines, Boise, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Sarasota, and Fayeteville, Arkansas?

And also well behind other high COL cities like Boston, DC, San Francisco, and San Jose?

And those places with such pleasant winters like Minneapolis or Madison, Wisconsin?

And those cities with their lovely summers and progressive state politics, like Austin, Dallas, and Houston?

Spare me. Just spare me. Whoever put this list together has their head up the arse. Especially since the list is talking about metro areas and not just cities proper.

New York is #80, while all the above are in the top 25?

Spare me. Just spare me.
I can speak for Colorado Springs and state unequivocally that I'd prefer to live there in every way for every reason. I've regretted coming back from there every day of my life since.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:38 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Completely not true. Many New Yorkers have family and friends in the suburbs. I used to visit my aunt and cousin quite frequently in Jersey. I used to go to Fire Island. I've visited friends in Nassau. I've visited friends in Westchester. I once worked in Suffolk. I've had birthday celebrations in Nassau. Many New Yorkers go to the suburbs for various reasons.

Speak for yourself on your statements that New Yorkers never leave the city proper. What, you couldn't pay the commuter railroad fare? Or don't have a car? You don't have to be ultra rich to afford those things.
Yeah that was a ridiculous claim. Maybe the ultra poor never leave the city, but everyone else does, frequently.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 AM

I think I would like to explore NYC like a tourist this Spring. Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I learned to drive as a 16 year old. I am worried I may have FORGOTTEN.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
This list is getting a lot of play on various state forums. Basicaly, cities move up and down the lists by the tens-of-spots on a year to year basis. Essentially every time they compile one of these lists they change or reweight the criteria making them effectively arbitrary.

"Hmm let's see... Lets make access to fresh corn on the cob, roasted on hibachi grills on every street corner worth 30 points."
"World class museums? So yesterday. Only 1 point this time around."
"You know what's great? Free parking. All great cities have ample free parking, 50 points"
"And pony rides! 100 points!"

Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Right now, it's best to avoid high cost cities at the moment unless if one has a degree from a top school or working with an apprenticeship. I'm surprised that a high cost city like nyc has thr lowest value compared to Boston, dc and san Jose which are just as equally as expensive as NYC, but with higher value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City