Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 877 times

Advertisements

Ive been called for an interview for 22-22 Jackson Ave. Trying to gather up all the paperwork need which is fine for the most part. BUT! I live in a multi family home and the owners live on the second floor with no English which is where this struggle comes in. I pay my rent in cash and never get receipts so if I write out cash receipts would they be accepted with being signed by landlord?
Also I have lived here for over 3 years. I had a 1 year lease when I moved in and no new one since then so the other option is for a notarized letter from landlord stating my residence. Has anyone had any issues like this that could throw some advise my way?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 02:30 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
Get a a notarized letter stating where you live exactly and then just fill in rent receipts (you can print them off the internet) and write down exactly how much you paid each month on them and date them. People who pay their rent in cash monthly, or weekly, SHOULD be doing that, but I can see how sometimes you wouldn't think of it if you didn't expect something like this to come up.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
You don't really even need to get the cash receipts signed by your landlord. Just write the landlord's name in the pay to part of the receipt. Although I guess if they are signed, that's better, but it shouldn't be an issue. Many month to month and low income people paying market rate do it this way and it should't jeopardize your chances in the housing lotteries.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:03 PM

23 posts, read 70,440 times
I would suggest put the most recent five (or so) payment date and amount (and maybe method (cash) too) on the notarized letter, and add on a statement that "landlord confirmed those payment have been made". Get it sign and notarize.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 12,103 times
How did your interview go? Have you heard anything from them yet?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,769 times
Your documents don't have to be in English, by the way. The city is required to provide a translator if anything is in another language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City