Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:19 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by binghamton295 View Post
I never thought of that. Jamaica has both subway access and LIRR. Or I could drive, though Google maps predicts a 1 hr plus drive in ideal conditions... It has taken me more than 2 hours to get to stony brook from Brooklyn with traffic, so unless going from queens is more predictable in terms of travel time Jamaica seems a bit of a stretch...how long was your commute on the LIRR? Did you have to transfer to buses once you got to stony brook to your work destination?
Commute was like an hour to an hour and a half depending on the day really, each way via LIRR. I worked on the SUNY campus, and the train stop is literally right there on campus. I could either walk to work from the train stop or I could take a free campus bus to my job.

Good thing is also Jamaica is one of the most affordable neighborhoods in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 11:41 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Geisinger is in Pennsylvania....? I know residency has long hours, but on my occasional off days I want to have easy access to a good social scene. Or even if I want to meet a friend after 7pm, it would make more sense if I could be there by 8pm or so.

Do you have friends or family in NYC, Westchester or close by NJ? Do you want to spend all of your meager resident's salary on housing and be jostled about on the subway or the 5 across seating on the commuter rail cars day in and day out? If yes, then your preferred locations are good. Read no further. Are you male or female? If you are male, then Geisinger is the real Valhalla with a huge number of young "country girl" type employees and you are only a few minutes away from Bloomsburg University, the #1 party school in the state and very near to Bucknell U, where the coeds are brainier. NYC is just a 3 hour drive in case you have an urge to be there.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 PM

19 posts, read 32,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Do you have friends or family in NYC, Westchester or close by NJ? Do you want to spend all of your meager resident's salary on housing and be jostled about on the subway or the 5 across seating on the commuter rail cars day in and day out? If yes, then your preferred locations are good. Read no further. Are you male or female? If you are male, then Geisinger is the real Valhalla with a huge number of young "country girl" type employees and you are only a few minutes away from Bloomsburg University, the #1 party school in the state and very near to Bucknell U, where the coeds are brainier. NYC is just a 3 hour drive in case you have an urge to be there.
Yeah I have friends NYC and we mainly hang out in Manhattan. I'm female. At this point Geisinger is not an option because I didn't apply there, and also I'm not really into the college town scene (getting a little old for that lol).

So what is the final verdict? New Brunswick or Stony brook?? Another thing I can think of is going from NY to NJ I have more tolls to pay, vs going to Long Island there are no tolls. But in the end id rather spend more of my meager salary if it means having a life outside of the hospital vs falling into a routine of just going home and watching TV after work and never seeing friends.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Also for me a one hour commute by public transport is relaxing because I can sleep or read or whatever, but driving an hour is really tiring.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Also for me a one hour commute by public transport is relaxing because I can sleep or read or whatever, but driving an hour is really tiring.

Think you can sleep in a typical M-7 LIRR coach surrounded by corpulent males in itchy business suits?

Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
drive + Manhattan

reliability

transplant fyi the times u see on google search doesn't include traffic
On google maps they most certainly do include traffic.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Think you can sleep in a typical M-7 LIRR coach surrounded by corpulent males in itchy business suits?

So what are you saying, that the NJ transit or PATH would have fewer corpulent males in itchy business suits? So New Brunswick > Stony brook?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
So what are you saying, that the NJ transit or PATH would have fewer corpulent males in itchy business suits? So New Brunswick > Stony brook?
NJ Transit cars have the same 5 across seating scheme as Metro North. When the old DL&W, New York Central, New Haven and the PA Railroad's LIRR ran the commuter services seating was 4 across. The PATH cars are basically NYC subway cars. You may have to stand but the ride is very short.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
Quote:
What does Valhalla have to do with a burial location? Lol

What about commuting from a point in NJ closer to Manhattan like Jersey city or secaucus? Google maps says it's about 40min to New Brunswick from those points, and if I live there I can get to Manhattan in less than 30 min. Basically my social life is in the city so the easier I can get to Manhattan the better. Is Jersey City very urban with a good social scene? Or any other good areas to commute to New Brunswick from with easy access to the city?
Valhalla is the name of the viking heaven. Even from SEcaucus or Jersey City, you have to drive, and the traffic is bad. You are still along the I-95. Valhalla takes you away from the I-95.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Based on everyone's input, I'm thinking:

1. Valhalla (live in upper west side and reverse commute 40-60min drive or live in White plains/valhalla with 40-60min commute to midtown by train)
2. New Brunswick (live in Secaucus/Jersey city/hoboken with 40 commute to NB)
3. Stony Brook (live in Hicksville with 40min commute to work and 40 to queens or 40 via train to midtown)

How does that sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City