Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM

65 posts, read 74,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I'm sorry but it has to be said; no I nor many other native New Yorkers wouldn't *flee*. You've allowed yourself to be bullied and keep refusing any advice offered (going to court, seeking legal advice, etc...) and so forth for various reasons. Mostly one gathers because you "don't want to make trouble" or whatever.

You are being bullied, and a bully will continue until either they are knocked onto their behinds or otherwise are forcefully stopped.

You can either keep sitting in Pity Me Pines, or sort yourself out. Your landlord has a legal right to provide you with a safe living environment. You are being harassed continuously and obviously no one at that some kind of apartment management is doing anything about it. So either take matters into your own hands, and light a fire under them to do their jobs, or otherwise (again) sort out this situation.

Before it starts, please spare me the noble and suffering mother and wife bit. Scores of women in your situation have had similar issues in NYC going back decades if not hundreds of years. They managed to get the matter sorted out, and likely were given the same advice as you've gotten here from myself and others.
I'm not a native new yorker. I'm also a very shy individual. I don't want anyone's sympathy.
I asked for legal advice. I was told that neighbor nuisances are not taken very heavily in court and I might need to testify with proofs and it's hard to prove such cases especially if the neighbors are tricky in hiding it or playing it to be "daily noise". Also, police don't do much in neighbor disputes and usually tell us to just push for the landlord to do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Before it starts, please spare me the noble and suffering mother and wife bit. Scores of women in your situation have had similar issues in NYC going back decades if not hundreds of years. They managed to get the matter sorted out, and likely were given the same advice as you've gotten here from myself and others.
How did the women resolve this issue? They called police...and then what? I'm genuinely wanting to know. I've heard of such instances where people were murdered for such disputes by their neighbors.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
I'm not a native new yorker. I'm also a very shy individual. I don't want anyone's sympathy.
I asked for legal advice. I was told that neighbor nuisances are not taken very heavily in court and I might need to testify with proofs and it's hard to prove such cases especially if the neighbors are tricky in hiding it or playing it to be "daily noise". Also, police don't do much in neighbor disputes and usually tell us to just push for the landlord to do something.

*YOU* shouldn't be doing anything, and that includes going to court, well far as the tenant is concerned. Again it is your LL who is responsible and should be dealing with this matter.

Go onto social media like Yelp or one of those apartment sites and get the word out. Ask an attorney friend to write a letter to your LL detailing the issue and reminding them it is *THEIR* job to ensure you have a safe and sane place to live.

Noise from Neighbor | City of New York

https://www.yelp.com/topic/new-york-...oise-laws-help

TenantNet - Noise

http://ny.curbed.com/2013/5/28/10239...-nyc-neighbors

Ask A Native New Yorker: How Do I Deal With Noisy Neighbors?: Gothamist

And so it goes....

As stated at the beginning, noise from neighbors in NYC is nothing new. So is the fact someone is being totally a jerk about it and obviously harassing. Go down to your local police with dark circles under your eyes holding your child and complain what you've been though and how they haven't responded. If the LE do show up at least once or twice that will normally get someone to stop. Especially if a report is filed and the LL gets wind of things.

Hate to tell you but moving may or may not solve the issue. It is just as likely sooner or later you may just run into another person such as this one above you again. Sadly the city is full of such persons.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,463 times
Quote:
How did the women resolve this issue? They called police...and then what? I'm genuinely wanting to know. I've heard of such instances where people were murdered for such disputes by their neighbors.
Now you think you will get murdered for complaining? Highly unlikely. I believe that your landlord might not do anything. I had a homeless guy sleep in the lobby or roof for a many years. The landlord did not hire security to patrol the building. Finally before xmas he died so that how the problem resolved itself.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the help and links. They're really appreciated. I hope no one in this board has to ever go through this.

Quote:
*YOU* shouldn't be doing anything, and that includes going to court, well far as the tenant is concerned. Again it is your LL who is responsible and should be dealing with this matter.

Go onto social media like Yelp or one of those apartment sites and get the word out. Ask an attorney friend to write a letter to your LL detailing the issue and reminding them it is *THEIR* job to ensure you have a safe and sane place to live.

Noise from Neighbor | City of New York

https://www.yelp.com/topic/new-york-...oise-laws-help

TenantNet - Noise

http://ny.curbed.com/2013/5/28/10239...-nyc-neighbors

Ask A Native New Yorker: How Do I Deal With Noisy Neighbors?: Gothamist

And so it goes....

As stated at the beginning, noise from neighbors in NYC is nothing new. So is the fact someone is being totally a jerk about it and obviously harassing. Go down to your local police with dark circles under your eyes holding your child and complain what you've been though and how they haven't responded. If the LE do show up at least once or twice that will normally get someone to stop. Especially if a report is filed and the LL gets wind of things.

Hate to tell you but moving may or may not solve the issue. It is just as likely sooner or later you may just run into another person such as this one above you again. Sadly the city is full of such persons.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I still never got the neighborhood. And before anybody asks if this is relevant or not, trust and believe, you get what you pay for....I have the feeling that OP bought a Porsche with a Toyota engine if you catch my drift. Close to work and plenty to eat and drink, but a lot of old-time tenants and crap like this...my point is if you buy a Porsche with a Toyota engine, don't expect it to run like a Porsche....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-11-2017, 08:53 AM

151 posts, read 154,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfloor View Post
i still never got the neighborhood. And before anybody asks if this is relevant or not, trust and believe, you get what you pay for....i have the feeling that op bought a porsche with a toyota engine if you catch my drift. Close to work and plenty to eat and drink, but a lot of old-time tenants and crap like this...my point is if you buy a porsche with a toyota engine, don't expect it to run like a porsche....

huh

Old 04-12-2017, 09:01 PM

54 posts, read 72,450 times
Quote:
I'm not making this up. They deliberately bang from 2 - 5 hours straight, alternating between living room and bedroom depending where we are. When it's not pounding (with a metal object), it's stomping back and forth with heels. It's scary how dedicated they are in doing this. Who has the time to do this, is what I keep wonder.
It's maddening. If they're capable of wasting all those hours in doing this, then they're capable of doing more. I feel like I live in a madhouse. We're stuck living like this until we find another place. If you were living under such an inhabitable environment, you'll flee, too, and go as far away as you can. That's why I had to leave with my toddler and stay with relatives for a while.
I just can't believe that they bang from 2 to 5 hours straight. Maybe you mean they bang intermitently for 2 to 5 hours each day. But anyway, have you gone to leasebreak.com? You can usually get a better deal on that site because people are desperate to find a tenant. Plus, you can find somewhere where they might only require a couple months stay, so it would give you a safe place to be while you wait for a better more long-term option to come open.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
I just can't believe that they bang from 2 to 5 hours straight. Maybe you mean they bang intermitently for 2 to 5 hours each day. But anyway, have you gone to leasebreak.com? You can usually get a better deal on that site because people are desperate to find a tenant. Plus, you can find somewhere where they might only require a couple months stay, so it would give you a safe place to be while you wait for a better more long-term option to come open.
Thanks for the website. I will check it out for sure.
Yes, they actually bang from 2 - 5 hours, alternating between minutes to hours loud pounding, a few minutes to a few hours stomping in heels, a few minutes of bouncing a ball heavily..then following my toddler's footsteps and dropping heavy things over his head..or my head if they hear me open a faucet...the whole entire time they are home. Sometimes the loud pounding will continue for hours. It's scary how someone can waste so much time doing this! I feel like I'm living under psychos and I'm so afraid.
I called a lawyer again and they said it's better not to call cops, since the neighbors can harm if they are this type that can bang all these hours and follow us from room to room and cops will need to go there and just tell them to quiet down and not more. This will lead to more aggressive and harmful behavior, just like how it got worse after we complained to management.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:25 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Thanks for the website. I will check it out for sure.
Yes, they actually bang from 2 - 5 hours, alternating between minutes to hours loud pounding, a few minutes to a few hours stomping in heels, a few minutes of bouncing a ball heavily..then following my toddler's footsteps and dropping heavy things over his head..or my head if they hear me open a faucet...the whole entire time they are home. Sometimes the loud pounding will continue for hours. It's scary how someone can waste so much time doing this! I feel like I'm living under psychos and I'm so afraid.
I called a lawyer again and they said it's better not to call cops, since the neighbors can harm if they are this type that can bang all these hours and follow us from room to room and cops will need to go there and just tell them to quiet down and not more. This will lead to more aggressive and harmful behavior, just like how it got worse after we complained to management.
Can you answer SeventhFloors question about what neighborhood you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City