Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:30 PM

65 posts, read 74,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Move to the burbs, less lunatics and people with stupid advice like order you toddler to stop running/moving/breathing etc.
Thanks for the suggestion. ::sigh:: I wish I could!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 AM

I showed management proof. Nothing yet.
They're still doing this every day. POUNDING on our ceiling for at least 2 hours non stop.
Some days, it's lasted for 5 hours. It starts at 7 am.
Remember, they're upstairs, so it's REALLY loud, unlike tiny toddler feet (underneath).
I'm getting scared and so is my toddler.
I can't carry my toddler all day to please them.
Should I call police?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,463 times
Call the police you have nothing to lose. Make sure you record the banging.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
just move, save yourself the aggravation and un happiness.
move.

just move, make it happen

Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 AM

151 posts, read 154,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
just move, save yourself the aggravation and un happiness.
move.

just move, make it happen

This is a stupid suggestion.

You pay rent just like them.

Call the police when the knocking starts at 7a. Have them come into your apartment, explain to them you're being harassed and have them witness it themselves. This is ridiculous and I'm so sorry to say - it shouldn't have come this far. You're both adults, one with a child no less. The fact this is an issue is beyond me.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,746 times
Does the pounding rise to the level of a noise complaint? They are certainly harassing you.

Quote:
You must be prepared to push the issue. If the police don't respond, call back and get the name of the desk officer and complain to his/her Captain [and higher]. Call the Community Board and your local politicians. But while you're being persistant, don't come off as a crazy. And after you've done your homework and documented the problem, complain to your landlord and be prepared to withhold your rent to force him to bring a nuisance action against the offending neighbor. If you decide to take this route, make sure you understand how to deal with Housing Court.
TenantNet - Noise

Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
This is a stupid suggestion.

You pay rent just like them.

Call the police when the knocking starts at 7a. Have them come into your apartment, explain to them you're being harassed and have them witness it themselves. This is ridiculous and I'm so sorry to say - it shouldn't have come this far. You're both adults, one with a child no less. The fact this is an issue is beyond me.

no, it isnt a stupid suggestion, its about the only sensible on so far...

its too much aggravation to be making memos of when the banging started, calling police, etc.

life is to precious and too short to be bothered with this kind of nonsense.

move, save yourself the headache and trauma, move.....

Old 03-28-2017, 08:24 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
What neighborhood is this, OP?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. We're actively searching for apartments, but they are all available in a few months. Living like this is torture. The banging has continued and the landlord told us that they know we're right, but don't have any power to do anything other than offer some other apartment ( which we saw, but was terrible and much more expensive). I'm so afraid for my toddler's little ears as the pounding is continuing for hours over our heads early in the morning ( during quiet hours) and continuing till we leave the apartment (or they leave). I have a terrible headache and had to go live with relatives for a few days with my toddler to get away from all this stress.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. We're actively searching for apartments, but they are all available in a few months. Living like this is torture. The banging has continued and the landlord told us that they know we're right, but don't have any power to do anything other than offer some other apartment ( which we saw, but was terrible and much more expensive). I'm so afraid for my toddler's little ears as the pounding is continuing for hours over our heads early in the morning ( during quiet hours) and continuing till we leave the apartment (or they leave). I have a terrible headache and had to go live with relatives for a few days with my toddler to get away from all this stress.
Do you know any lawyers? Perhaps they could draw something up to "scare" them.
Or if you want to follow through with it.
A lady in my old building took the people above her to court, it went on for years though, she eventually moved to a different apt in the building and that couple eventually moved out who made all the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City