Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Yes, exactly!

Not sure if he talked much about this. What leads you to say that? Do you have a source?

He had the right critiques of white liberals. His argument is that they aim to make the system "nicer" to blacks won't work, and there needs to be a fundamental change in the system. He wanted a black nation with a black-based political and economic system because he knew you can't reform white power structure. He extensively critiqued Dr. Kings march on Washington in his autobiography for reasons like this. However, He did work with white revolutionaries and white muslims

I think he felt that both parties were parties that only benefited whites, and didn't really see the point in voting for either one. He felt that by voting for them you were just investing in a white system that would never bring real racial justice for blacks. He also felt that it was demoralizing to get your hopes up, and recognized that both parties were just taking the black community for a ride.
He had absolutely no trust in large institutions, and there is no larger institution than the US federal government. Power to the people.

As for lopsided voting for one party vs the other, there is no incentive to fight for that vote if the outcome is obvious. Leads to empty promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 01:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
He had absolutely no trust in large institutions, and there is no larger institution than the US federal government. Power to the people.

As for lopsided voting for one party vs the other, there is no incentive to fight for that vote if the outcome is obvious. Leads to empty promises.
He also at times argued for reparations for Black people, and at time enough land to make a separate nation.

" Here is Malcolm X speaking about reparations: "If you are the son of a man who had a wealthy estate and you inherit your father's estate, you have to pay off the debts that your father incurred before he died. The only reason that the present generation of white Americans are in a position of economic strength...is because their fathers worked our fathers for over 400 years with no pay...We were sold from plantation to plantation like you sell a horse, or a cow, or a chicken, or a bushel of wheat...All that money...is what gives the present generation of American whites the ability to walk around the earth with their chest out...like they have some kind of economic ingenuity. Your father isn't here to pay. My father isn't here to collect. But I'm here to collect and you're here to pay."

Malcolm X was not suggesting people split their votes between the Democratic OR the Republican parties, he didn't like EITHER party!

He was arguing for something very different.

Somehow I don't think you and Airborneguy are supports of Malcolm or would have liked him at the time. Just because he supported gun rights doesn't mean you're a political ally of his.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:28 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He also at times argued for reparations for Black people, and at time enough land to make a separate nation.

" Here is Malcolm X speaking about reparations: "If you are the son of a man who had a wealthy estate and you inherit your father's estate, you have to pay off the debts that your father incurred before he died. The only reason that the present generation of white Americans are in a position of economic strength...is because their fathers worked our fathers for over 400 years with no pay...We were sold from plantation to plantation like you sell a horse, or a cow, or a chicken, or a bushel of wheat...All that money...is what gives the present generation of American whites the ability to walk around the earth with their chest out...like they have some kind of economic ingenuity. Your father isn't here to pay. My father isn't here to collect. But I'm here to collect and you're here to pay."

Malcolm X was not suggesting people split their votes between the Democratic OR the Republican parties, he didn't like EITHER party!

He was arguing for something very different.

Somehow I don't think you and Airborneguy are supports of Malcolm or would have liked him at the time. Just because he supported gun rights doesn't mean you're a political ally of his.
I agree with him. Black people should have been paid large lump sums of money that could have been cycled many a times within the community. Instead they got managed welfare administered and operated by the white man.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
I agree with him. Black people should have been paid large lump sums of money that could have been cycled many a times within the community. Instead they got managed welfare administered and operated by the white man.
Slave owners in the Caribbean were paid reparations for the ending of slavery, and Haiti was forced to pay France reparations for the ending of slavery. Reparations were paid for slavery, just not to Black people by the way.

But if you support reparations, for example apartments in housing projects could be turned into co-ops, and the management and maintenance of those buildings could be left up to residents. Homeowners tend to take better care of their neighborhoods than renters.

Malcolm X would say, and I would agree that the Black community should take control of education of it's students. Asians in NYC have after school programs that they run, and this makes a huge difference in the educational achievement of Asian students, while providing jobs for people. For this reason I could care less if Trump and De Vos deconstruct public k-12 education. K-12 education should be controlled by people at the community level.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:26 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,695,021 times
Quote:
I don't see more law abiding citizens having guns working either. There'd just be more shoot outs.

You'd really have to address the true reason why you have so much crime in these neighborhoods. The underemployement in these communities, caused by historical discrimination AND welfare complex that encourages families to split (can't be married and get most long term welfare benefits) and encourages a number of other bad behaviors (discourses people from working because if they make a small amount of money over the maximum they lose their benefits). You'd also have to address the marginalization of this population from the rest of the nation and the rest of the world.

If everyone around you is scum, how on earth would you know how to behave any better?

Btw, police defend white people just FINE. Regardless of whether white communities have guns or not, there isn't this rate of mortality in the US among white populations, even the poor ones. Clearly there are social pathologies in Black neighbors that do need to be addressed.

For starters in these neighborhoods, to build up a rep on the street it's COOL to be arrested (I can say the same of Puerto Rican and Dominican neighborhoods in NYC). Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in NYC similarly are underemployed, and also have a high rate of being on welfare.

You'd also need to mention the illegal drug trade. People on welfare do earn money illegally, by selling guns, drugs, sex, etc.

Legalizing drugs means you'd have people earning money on the books, where it's taxable and where you push the criminal element out. People who legitimately earn money can go to banks for loans, buy houses, etc. People who earn just cash can't even legally rent a normal apartment (no actual income) so they are left to just some sort of welfare program housing.

There are a lot of socioeconomic issues that have to be dealt with before you can reduce violence in those communities. To be honest most of the deaths are probably drug turf related. Of course legal businesses can resolve their disputes via the courts and government agencies. Illegal businesses have to take out their disagreements with each other. Never mind innocent people may be shot. Of course when dealers shoot each other up, other people step in to take their place.

As for law abiding citizens using guns to defend themselves from criminals, criminals tend to have back up, so if you shoot a gangster and kill them you'd better be prepared for retaliation or you'd better leave the state. I'm sure anyone on here who is law enforcement would agree with me. More guns will not help ghettoes.
It's the logic of the deluded that gets in the way of seeing things. It's obvious that underemployment discrimination in employment and housing can certainly lead someone to a life of crime. Some people just don't want to accept the true history of this country and that the experience of some was far from the values this great nation was founded upon. The poor neighborhoods that we see in large urban centers throughout the nation didn't just simply become that way because the people are lazy scum who don't want to work and do nothing and take taxpayer money.

My friend who is a lawyer has told me marijuana legalization is gonna be bad for lawyers, and honestly I think it may also have an effect on the firearm industry and gun runners, who smuggle guns illegally into a lot of poor neighborhoods in urban areas.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:34 PM

18,952 posts, read 13,838,201 times
Quote:
And it doesn't matter what anyone on this forum says, it matters what the courts say.
What really matters is what The People are willing to accept. If more Americans woke up to that fact, most of the issues we have would go away quickly. That's why we call people who accept our current reality sheep.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:52 PM

415 posts, read 512,143 times
I believe women should have less rights than men.

Oh, I also believe that all homosexuals should be hanged.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM

375 posts, read 294,986 times
Quote:
And these wasps will just keep pushing us further and further from the jobs and amenities. Its a shame that we keep voting for their politicians nevertheless. The voting base in the boros are such suckers. Always hoping that maybe one day they'll give back, but all we get are empty promises. When they give us free education I wonder how worthless the degree will be by then?
Nobody pushes anyone away from jobs. Those who accuse others of doing so are usually not looking hard enough for the jobs or are under qualified and need to find somebody to blame.

And why the hell should you get free education? What entities you? Or are you a veteran? I had to earn my college. Why wouldn't you? I hope you're not one of those reparations whiners. I'd never vote for that nonsense. It's reverse racism. Just like affirmative action.

Wasps? LOL. Haven't heard that one in awhile. My mom used to say it. You must be over 40.

Cheers, mate.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:02 PM

375 posts, read 294,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
In an anonymous on line forum, people feel free to say exactly what's in their heart and on their mind. If the forum was not anonymous and posters had to reveal their true identity in order to post a comment, I bet racist comments in the CD Forums would decrease by more than 100%.
I disagree. I admit I'm new here.....About a month or so...But I have never seen any hostile or racist posts. In fact, this has to be the most mild mannered forum I've ever seen. These mods keep a tight lid on things. You do know CD is renowned on the net for being very very censored, right? Google it if you doubt me.

Go over to places like 4chan or Soda Head or Create Debate of Debate.org if you want to see some flame wars with racist slurs abound.

This place is full of cupcakes!

Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 PM

537 posts, read 455,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Nobody pushes anyone away from jobs. Those who accuse others of doing so are usually not looking hard enough for the jobs or are under qualified and need to find somebody to blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post

And why the hell should you get free education? What entities you? Or are you a veteran? I had to earn my college. Why wouldn't you? I hope you're not one of those reparations whiners. I'd never vote for that nonsense. It's reverse racism. Just like affirmative action.

Wasps? LOL. Haven't heard that one in awhile. My mom used to say it. You must be over 40.

Cheers, mate.

************************************************** *********************************
I know this term has been around for a while, and I know I've heard an explanation as to why it is used, but it's the "P" in 'WASP' that tended to confuse me. I know a lot of Black folks who attend churches in Protestant denominations, even Presbyterian churches, which actually did come out of the Protestant Reformation. Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City