Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post

The market will sort things out alright, it will sort people OUT of the city by the tens of thousands. As it has been doing causing massive economic despair in the working class. That is what your magical market does. Create condos for the elites, while working people get stiffed and fight over crumbs. You know how few units this plan is providing? Buildings with 100 units are seeing over 90,000 application. Mind you this crisis only began developing when the city stopped building public housing.
By and large, the working class are doing what they always have and are moving to the suburbs. Even when the city couldn't give away large sections of itself in the 70s/80s the working class left for greener pastures. Why is it somehow a crime for them to find housing somewhere they can afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 03:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
I would kill for a nice cheap apartment.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
LMFAO @ these complainers. It's the people in AMI income band 3 that should be complaining the loudest. WE are the most screwed, especially in all of these lotteries. We have the MOST applicants in that band and it's the band with the least number of apartments allotted.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
By and large, the working class are doing what they always have and are moving to the suburbs. Even when the city couldn't give away large sections of itself in the 70s/80s the working class left for greener pastures. Why is it somehow a crime for them to find housing somewhere they can afford?
Because it costs money to move. It cost me $5K to move 2 blocks (breaking my lease and hiring movers). So imagine picking up and moving to another state.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Because it costs money to move. It cost me $5K to move 2 blocks (breaking my lease and hiring movers). So imagine picking up and moving to another state.
Being the people's mod must pay well. Average person would rent a u-haul and ask friend/acquiescent to help lift the furniture (that is if they don't decide to list their furniture for sale on craigslist like most who leave NYC). Only luxury apartment complex require legit moving companies with insurance policy, you have to pay a premium of around $400.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Being the people's mod must pay well. Average person would rent a u-haul and ask friend/acquiescent to help lift the furniture (that is if they don't decide to list their furniture for sale on craigslist like most who leave NYC). Only luxury apartment complex require legit moving companies with insurance policy, you have to pay a premium of around $400.
Yeah, I had people help me. I had movers lift the really heavy stuff though. Still that's only 2 blocks. How much is it to move out of state though?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Yeah, I had people help me. I had movers lift the really heavy stuff though. Still that's only 2 blocks. How much is it to move out of state though?
Quote:
According to the American Moving & Storage Association, the average cost of an intrastate move is $1,170, and the average move between states costs $5,630. (Both numbers are based on an average weight of 7,100 pounds.)
The Hidden Costs of Moving | Personal Finance | US News

I got $10k relocation package and I wrote off my moving expense on my federal tax return so I turned a profit from when I moved to NYC. I am not the best example as I did it on the dirt cheap by selling/giving away my furniture and packed my car with basic necessities clothes, shoes, laptop, and one tv (paid around $100 with tolls and gas).

Last edited by NYer23; 02-24-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 02:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
And jobs don't grow on trees. The immediate NYC suburbs are not cheaper. By the time you go far enough to actually save money, you'd have to get a new job.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And jobs don't grow on trees. The immediate NYC suburbs are not cheaper. By the time you go far enough to actually save money, you'd have to get a new job.

Much of that depends...

New Jersey, Westchester, Connecticut, and Long Island "immediate" suburbs have hot to very real estate markets. When you go further out prices actually go down because the commute is often soul crushing. This depends of course if one has access to rail or other mass transit in large part, and a few other factors.

Compare housing prices for say Maplewood, N.J. to Matawan, N.J. or even further south, or worse the Poconos in PA.

As for immediate suburbs not being "cheaper" that really has and still does depend.

For people with kids often things work out cheaper because they can attend usually excellent local public schools. This and or there are plenty of free or low cost (locally tax payer subsidized) things for them to do. You certainly aren't going to find a three or four bedroom apartment in NYC (especially in Manhattan) for anything near "cheap".

OTOH living in NYC means most parents absent those in excellent primary school districts have choices to make. High school wise the city has made some strides with all the new things being opened, but still it can be a gamble.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
If people want to leave by choice that is there choice. If people are forced from their homes for economic reasons, that is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery