Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 04:35 PM

782 posts, read 526,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would not get a roommate on that budget unless living in a hip area was super important to me
I think roommates is a fine option. It's not just living in a "hip" area. It's also about keeping costs down while living in an area with more things to do and having more time to do them (by keeping the commute short). Many young people aren't spending much time at home anyway between work and an active social life. Why not spend less money by living with roommates?

If I were the OP (early 20s, new to the city, decent rent budget), I would look at paying $1200-1500 to share an apartment on the UES walking distance to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I think roommates is a fine option. It's not just living in a "hip" area. It's also about keeping costs down while living in an area with more things to do and having more time to do them (by keeping the commute short). Many young people aren't spending much time at home anyway between work and an active social life. Why not spend less money by living with roommates?

If I were the OP (early 20s, new to the city, decent rent budget), I would look at paying $1200-1500 to share an apartment on the UES walking distance to work.
I could get my own one bedroom in that price range and not be terribly far from Midtown Manhattan!

I don't have anything against people who want roommates, but personally I'd rather not have any if possible.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:13 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
I've been wanting to try La Morada for a while now! Any recommendations?
Mole verde is my standard. Mole blanco is a lot more rare to come across, and I do like it a lot, but I'm not there often enough so I just go with the standard and get someone else to order the mole blanco. Also like the soups, the tamales, and the ensalada de nopales.

If anything, I'd say order things you really like or have wanted to try as everything's generally been great there.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
if you want to spend under 2k in nyc, you can either 1: Live in a yuppie educated area with a roommate, or 2: Live in a ghetto area where nobody has graduated high school or has a job by yourself, or 3: Live by yourself in kinda boring but very safe outskirts-of-the-city neighborhoods like central/western staten island, far east queens, far south brooklyn, etc, but have a real long commute (unless you're lucky enough to work there).

I had the same choice (actually, i couldn't even manage 2k, i set my limit at 1600), i went for the second option. I don't care that i stick out like a sore thumb in my neighborhood, it doesn't stop me from going to the grocery store when i need or, or hopping on the train to go to nyu land when i want to hang out with my friends and get food. Anything to not have a roommate. And i'd rather have a 30 minute commute and have people ignore my existence on the street than a 70 minute commute and have people be friendly in my area. I am from ny though, so i'm used to it.

Since you want to be on the ues i'd recommend you try somewhere like southern east harlem. You could have an extraordinarily short commute, maybe even walking distance... Get in soon though, the rents are rising here really fast. If you're not as antisocial as i am, you might want to consider living in some yuppie college area for a little while with a roommate while you get acquainted with teh city, and then get your own place in less-green pastures (but not have to share) after a while.

reps

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
I could get my own one bedroom in that price range and not be terribly far from Midtown Manhattan!

I don't have anything against people who want roommates, but personally I'd rather not have any if possible.
I think almost everyone would prefer not to have roommates. It's all about tradeoffs and finding the right balance for yourself. For me, living with roommates in my early to mid 20s was well worth it in exchange for a better neighborhood and a shorter commute. I also saved a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: