Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:37 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times

Advertisements

I know someone who is looking for an apartment but cannot find a guarantor. The one that she found did not have any credit. What can she do about this? I find it ridiculous that you need all this to get an apartment in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I know someone who is looking for an apartment but cannot find a guarantor. The one that she found did not have any credit. What can she do about this? I find it ridiculous that you need all this to get an apartment in NYC.
You don't need one, you just need to provide what the landlord is asking which typically is a certain amount of income, good credit and good rental history...

If your friend does not meet the needs of what he landlord is asking then she will have to go the roommate route. I suggest looking on CL.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 02-25-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 02:03 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Depending upon location and type of apartment (RS, market rent, etc...) landlords are having problems and offering various types of incentives. This could work in your friend's favor.

Standard fall back if one does not have any or sufficient credit is to offer payment of several months to a year of rent in advance. People who come here from foreign countries and thus do not have a SSN and credit history (in USA), do this all the time.

Sunday NYT real estate section did a story last week or maybe two ago about a guy transferred to NYC from OZ that went apartment hunting in Manhattan. He worked with a broker and as noted above was able to find an apartment without any problems by paying several months rent in advance. He was offered units in everything from walkup to "luxury" buildings complete with doormen, gyms and all amenities. IIRC he chose the latter type building because found the idea of a doorman "novel" since they don't have that sort of thing in OZ. That and he uses the gym and pool regularly, something most of his neighbors don't seem to bother.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:46 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
I think guarantors should be illegal. It DESTROYS the housing market for single people living like adults without parental support. Grow the hell up and move where you can afford and stop relying on your rich parents. disgusting.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Quote:
How can one find an apartment if you can't find a guarantor?
Uhhhhh be able to afford it on your own like your supposed to? And if you can't afford it get something else? And if you can't afford anything, move or get public assistance?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM

quote:
Uhhhhh be able to afford it on your own like your supposed to? And if you can't afford it get something else? And if you can't afford anything, move or get public assistance?

The hypocrisy in that statement just made me nearly choke to death lmfao. (although I am in 80% agreeance)

Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:

The hypocrisy in that statement just made me nearly choke to death lmfao. (although I am in 80% agreeance)
One does not have to be a super liberal to think that Trump is an absolute madman who has no business running an Olive Garden let alone the country, if that's what your referring to.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:15 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
I am pretty sure they could afford it. They are professionals. But I think the landlord still made them get a guarantor.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:23 PM

The landlord is a tool only allowing the parentally scrubsidized class to move into their apartments. This is the reason why this city sucks so bad for people moving here these days. Not everyone has the Bank of Mom and Dad to fall back on to be able to rent. So embarrassed to live in NYC.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I am pretty sure they could afford it. They are professionals. But I think the landlord still made them get a guarantor.
That doesn't makes any sense.

Think about it; why would the landlord require a guarantor if the tenant was able to afford the apartment on their own?

Just because their "professionals" doesn't mean they can afford it. Hey could be making 40k trying to apply for a 15k a month rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: