Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,585 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the middle of a divorce. She rarely ever goes to the doctor, but if she did need to go she would probably only go to either a gynecologist, primary doctor, and maybe a dentist. Health Insurance is a mandatory charge in NY State, right? Like, if you don't pay for Health Insurance they will take it out of her taxes next year, correct?

So, instead of her paying $200-$400 per month for a service that she will probably not use, isn't it smarter to just let them take it out of her taxes? I don't think they'll take $2,400 out of her taxes anyway next year.

Also, what is the out of pocket cost for a gynecologist? There are some decent places in the city that are free or no-cost, correct? And also, on average a primary doctor is only charging about $200, right?

Just curious. Of course I will ask her opinion as well (technically we are still married so the way that it is set up is that NY State of Health wants me to make the decision), but I kind of get the impression that she will say something like "I don't want to pay for insurance since I don't go to the doctor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 10:18 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
It's not just an issue of how much a single doctor's visit is.

What if - G-d forbid - your wife has an accident or falls ill or needs surgery, needs hospitalization.
Without health insurance, this will bankrupt your whole family.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM

I will ask her about what she wants to do. Since we are no longer together.

If she were to have such an emergency or something more serious that lasts a little longer, then ideally she'd consider traveling to her home country of Japan so that she could get it handled with her insurance over there.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:25 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
I will ask her about what she wants to do. Since we are no longer together.

If she were to have such an emergency or something more serious that lasts a little longer, then ideally she'd consider traveling to her home country of Japan so that she could get it handled with her insurance over there.

Thanks for your input.
In an emergency, she is not going to be able to just "travel to Japan."

Old 02-26-2017, 05:38 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
My wife and I are in the middle of a divorce. She rarely ever goes to the doctor, but if she did need to go she would probably only go to either a gynecologist, primary doctor, and maybe a dentist. Health Insurance is a mandatory charge in NY State, right? Like, if you don't pay for Health Insurance they will take it out of her taxes next year, correct?

So, instead of her paying $200-$400 per month for a service that she will probably not use, isn't it smarter to just let them take it out of her taxes? I don't think they'll take $2,400 out of her taxes anyway next year.

Also, what is the out of pocket cost for a gynecologist? There are some decent places in the city that are free or no-cost, correct? And also, on average a primary doctor is only charging about $200, right?

Just curious. Of course I will ask her opinion as well (technically we are still married so the way that it is set up is that NY State of Health wants me to make the decision), but I kind of get the impression that she will say something like "I don't want to pay for insurance since I don't go to the doctor."

Health insurance is not mandatory in New York State. The Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) does impose penalties for those who do not have coverage (individual mandate). Or rather it did until DT became president now that is scrapped, but in future who knows.

If you are getting divorced NYS department of health has no way to force you or anyone else to pay for insurance, including your soon to be former spouse. Those things are done via divorce court where a judge will decide who is responsible for paying what to whomever.

As to your other query physicians in NYC bill for services in many different ways. Some accept insurance and bill for the difference (things not covered), others do not take any insurance so you pay up front then submit bills for reimbursement. Doctors do not "take money from your taxes".

However if you or your wife do see a physician or hospital and do not pay the bill sooner or later it will be sent to a collection agency. Should payment still not be forthcoming the matter likely will end up in court and if a lien/judgment is granted then money can be taken out of paychecks, bank accounts, etc... This would be the person who sought and received medical care, and or agreed to make the payment.

That is if your wife goes to a doctor or hospital and does not pay if she is legally divorced they will go after her; OTOH if the two of you are still legally married things could get tricky.

If your wife has a medical emergency and no private physician she can and should do what everyone else does; got to the nearest emergency room and worry about the costs later.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
If her salary is low then have her check out the sliding scale hospitals like Bellevue.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
If her salary is low then have her check out the sliding scale hospitals like Bellevue.

Northwell (formerly North Shore-Long Island Jewish) also has sliding scale services:
https://www.northwell.edu/manage-you...-scale-program

Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 3,305 times
what is her salary ..........

Old 02-28-2017, 10:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Northwell (formerly North Shore-Long Island Jewish) also has sliding scale services:
https://www.northwell.edu/manage-you...-scale-program
Planned Parenthood does as well---for your OBGYN concerns, OP.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:07 PM

I kind of forgot that I posted this. I'll try to ask her this week before the NY State of Health deadline to see if she was trying to get health insurance for this year.

I'm also certain that there were free or low-cost gynecology services (different from this sliding scale thing). Anyone know anything about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City