Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,340 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My roommate and I have an unofficial subletter in our 3 bed apartment.

We have a verbal agreement that every month the subletter gives me their rent and I pay our landlord the combined sum of me and the subletter's rent. My roommate gives his rent to the landlord separately.

A few months ago, for whatever reason, our payment system did not charge my account for that month's rent for the subletter and I. My roommate's rent went through as normal.

I made several attempts to inform our landlord of this error, and included screenshots of our account. The landlord assured me the rent went through and I owed no money for that month. The landlord had since switched online payment systems entirely.

I definitely was not charged rent that month, so I planned on keeping the subletter and my rent for that month in one of my savings accounts incase the landlord eventually realizes their error.

I told my roommate about all this and may have joked about now having extra money in my savings. Even though I stated I would not spend this money, my roommate immediately asked for a portion of this money, also agreeing not to spend it.

At first I was taken back, but decided to give him half of what would have been the subletter's rent that month. He found our current subletter, but we both pay for the room when it is not being filled.

When I went to pay him that sum, he instead told me he wanted half of the entire amount. Half of my unpaid rent along with half the unpaid rent of the subletter. This doesn't make sense to me. Why am I giving him half of my (unused) rent money? I'm confused by the whole thing and want to make sure I'm not getting taken advantage of before proceeding with giving him half of the full amount.

Side note: I realize it's a bit unethical to not give that rent money back to the subletter, but she'll be gone in a few months and we can use that money to help pay for the unfilled room. She's not on any lease or anything.

Thanks.

Last edited by PasteinPlace; 02-27-2017 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Paging Judge Judy.

If you are paying separately I do not see why your roommate has any claim to money that you were not charged especially with two separate accounts to pay the landlord.
Sublessor, perhaps, has a claim to a refund of the rent she gave you but that is for you to worry about.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,340 times
Hey thanks for the reply. I'm very close friends with my roommate and am hesitant to ask any of our (mutual) friends for their take.

It's helpful to get an unbiased opinion. Judge Judy hasn't answered any of my calls.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 PM

402 posts, read 518,460 times
Dont give him your half... That seems strange and doesnt make any sense to me.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
OP:
Get a paper check and send it to your landlord for the rent money that you know did not go through.
Do not keep it in your savings and do not give it to your roommate.
This way you have a paper trail, a written letter to the landlord explaining in detail why you are sending the check and
you should send it return receipt so the landlord has to sign for it.
When the time comes that the landlord finds the error he will already have the money and you or the roommate will not have spent any of it and you have the paper trail to prove the rent was indeed paid.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:15 PM

151 posts, read 154,448 times
Jus the fact that you're okay with keeping money without informing the subleter what's good is a case of karma waiting to get you. It's scummy. Don't spend the money. Don't give your sheisty roommate it ether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City