Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:01 PM

30,540 posts, read 18,021,555 times

Advertisements

One of these shelters is going to be placed just over a mile from where my folks like. But, given the distance and that its only for men above 50 years of age, I'm not too concerned. There was once a small family-oriented shelter on Dean between Vanderbilt and Carlton that closed to make way for Pacific Park . . . given the run-ins that I had with a few of that shelter's inhabitants (the younger folks), I'm glad that its gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 02:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,189,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ss-shelters-90

Can't wait to see where he plans to build them and watch the local real estate values plummet. He says they will be implemented in all 5 boros.

He mentioned Maspeth Queens and received backlash from the community, if it's near Jewish areas it's gonna be war.

Projects from the 90s revived and now they are called Shelters or AirBnb for the poor.
Have to do it. Ghouliani and Bloombucks refused to adress homelessness and kicked can on this issue so problem got much worse. Build the shelters and "spread the wealth".

Old 03-03-2017, 06:52 AM

36,993 posts, read 39,037,251 times
So vouchers and giving landlords and hotel owners lots of money to house homeless people with vouchers is absurdly expensive, subject to private abuses, and possibly has the effect of driving working class people out because it's more profitable to get money through the city's program than to rent to people. I think for those reasons, I vastly prefer the city build homeless shelters.

I think these should be highly efficient and cost-effective micro-apartments that are nice enough as solid roofs over people's heads and are done in a sort of modular system that's really quick and easy to build (and sturdy to withstand some abuse). I think as part of the exchange, the city gets to be a bit more pro-active and invasive in finding ways to nudge you towards getting back on your feet for the portion of the homeless who are a bit more defeated than others. I also think there should be a pretty rational intake system that groups people by sort of levels of help that people need as there's a large number of homeless people who were working class that had a sudden bad roll of the die (this does actually, really happen) and that's not the same as those who need a lot of supervision due to mental illness. There also needs to be a counseling system for exit strategies out of the shelter system.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,269,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So vouchers and giving landlords and hotel owners lots of money to house homeless people with vouchers is absurdly expensive, subject to private abuses, and possibly has the effect of driving working class people out because it's more profitable to get money through the city's program than to rent to people. I think for those reasons, I vastly prefer the city build homeless shelters.

I think these should be highly efficient and cost-effective micro-apartments that are nice enough as solid roofs over people's heads and are done in a sort of modular system that's really quick and easy to build (and sturdy to withstand some abuse). I think as part of the exchange, the city gets to be a bit more pro-active and invasive in finding ways to nudge you towards getting back on your feet for the portion of the homeless who are a bit more defeated than others. I also think there should be a pretty rational intake system that groups people by sort of levels of help that people need as there's a large number of homeless people who were working class that had a sudden bad roll of the die (this does actually, really happen) and that's not the same as those who need a lot of supervision due to mental illness. There also needs to be a counseling system for exit strategies out of the shelter system.
Sounds like more housing projects, only worse. Thought the ship sailed on that progressive idea long ago. If they do this in working class and above neighborhoods, we'll see a reiteration of flight to the suburbs. Or just out of NYC.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 AM

5,441 posts, read 5,671,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Sounds like more housing projects, only worse. Thought the ship sailed on that progressive idea long ago. If they do this in working class and above neighborhoods, we'll see a reiteration of flight to the suburbs. Or just out of NYC.
Once these will become "permanent" housing (and they will), they will be indistinguishable from housing projects, only worse since I don't think they have any criminal and other requirements whatsoever.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Once these will become "permanent" housing (and they will), they will be indistinguishable from housing projects, only worse since I don't think they have any criminal and other requirements whatsoever.
I love this city, but if they open up 90 more housing complexes, I'm outta here. And I know a lot of people that would share the same feelings. Ordinary working people that is. Once and for all this city will be officially left for only the rich and poor.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,871,653 times
Quote:
I love this city, but if they open up 90 more housing complexes, I'm outta here. And I know a lot of people that would share the same feelings. Ordinary working people that is. Once and for all this city will be officially left for only the rich and poor.
Big deal. Everyone should do what they must. But there are always going to be ordinary working people in NYC. For every person who moves out, someone moves in.

White flight left a void in the city, and they just got replaced by newer generations of immigrants. Flee NYC en masse and all that means is there are some cheap properties for someone to buy. Then prices go up.

Keep in mind no major city is going to be poor person free. NYC has a housing shortage, as there was definitely underutilized space in the city (post industrial) which should have been used for some productive economic activity, OR for housing.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Big deal. Everyone should do what they must. But there are always going to be ordinary working people in NYC. For every person who moves out, someone moves in.

White flight left a void in the city, and they just got replaced by newer generations of immigrants. Flee NYC en masse and all that means is there are some cheap properties for someone to buy. Then prices go up.

Keep in mind no major city is going to be poor person free. NYC has a housing shortage, as there was definitely underutilized space in the city (post industrial) which should have been used for some productive economic activity, OR for housing.
It has nothing to do with all of the above that you posted. It has little to do with wanting a city free of poor people. For the most part everyone is poor. Its the treatment of poor people, and the fabric of neighborhoods that will get torn apart. RE values will not decrease because of increase supply. It'll decrease because of unnatural, non-organic planned development.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:56 AM

983 posts, read 926,387 times
Quote:
That ship's sailed long ago, unless you're in SI or some real faraway places in Queens.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,871,653 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with all of the above that you posted. It has little to do with wanting a city free of poor people. For the most part everyone is poor. Its the treatment of poor people, and the fabric of neighborhoods that will get torn apart. RE values will not decrease because of increase supply. It'll decrease because of unnatural, non-organic planned development.
The fabric of neighborhoods has been torn apart many times in NYC in the 20th century.

Big deal. Again if people bail out, new people move in to take advantages of the vacancies and the temporarily lower prices (as new people move in the prices go back up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City