Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapestryofLife View Post
Thanks, Kefir King! So the minimum income is based on family size?

I wonder if the condo board can waive the minimum family size requirement for the four and five bedroom apartments if they don't get a qualified applicant when one of the large apartments opens up. If you need 8 or 9 people for a five-bedroom AND you have to have a minimum income yet not go over a certain amount, that has to be a very limited pool of families, even in New York. Or maybe I'm wrong about that.

Would the living room be slightly larger as the bedroom count got higher, or would the living room and kitchen size stay about the same throughout all the apartments in the building?

Back in the late 70s, when the crime was out of control, did the waiting lists dwindle down to nothing? Just curious!!!
No, apartment size is based on family size. Minimum income is set for each apartment size,

I think they would hold a 4 bedroom open til Kingdom Come rather than rent to a smaller family.

The big apartments indeed have a limited pool of families, BUT they are also in very limited supply.

Living room size is pretty much a constant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,500 times
Thanks again, Kefir King. Mitchell Lama is a very interesting program. I wonder why it came to an end -- I guess the federal funds probably ran out.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 12,442 times
My understanding is there is only an income limit. The key is, that income includes profit from assets including interest from banks, rent from property you own, etc.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,724 times
I purchased last year and I don't remember them asking about "assets", just income. I had purchased a home upstate 2 years ago and it wasnt an issue. They pulled the credit report so they know about my mortgage.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 PM

19 posts, read 23,710 times
Do you know if they just check last year's tax return or do they check biweekly deposits / bank statements.

I just got a raise which puts me over the limit.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 PM

27 posts, read 29,661 times
does anyone know if one gets disqualified if owns a coop. or sells before gets called for the interview.
since they go back 2 years with income tax, will they disqualify for prior ownership?

Old 09-07-2020, 08:45 AM

59 posts, read 63,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My income was low but my reported liquid assets, over and above retirement accounts, exceeded $300K and I was approved for M-L.
If anybody has a firm asset limit, please let us all know.
Are you living in a Mitchell-Lama building now? If so, is it a rental or a co-op? We are on the waiting list for a co-op, and I was wondering about any fine print regarding the eligibility criteria. On the original announcement for the lottery, there is no mention of asset limits/caps - only an income band.

I'm hoping you can offer some insight or clarification to the process...

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2023, 11:20 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,382,350 times
I'm helping a family member in a M-L building apply for succession, and am trying to get the definitive answer to whether assets will disqualify him from being permitted to succeed. This thread is helpful and I'm thinking that as long as his income remains within the limits he should be fine to remain in residence and succeed his relative as the leaseholder.

I'll update as the process unfolds and we get more detailed information.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:11 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,479,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I'm helping a family member in a M-L building apply for succession, and am trying to get the definitive answer to whether assets will disqualify him from being permitted to succeed. This thread is helpful and I'm thinking that as long as his income remains within the limits he should be fine to remain in residence and succeed his relative as the leaseholder.

I'll update as the process unfolds and we get more detailed information.
1) ‘ This unofficial version of the current Mitchell-Lama rules is provided solely for your convenience and you should only rely upon the version that appears in the official compilation of the Rules of the City of New York.’

Consult the Table of Contents.

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...lama-rules.pdf

2) Make sure you get the most recent figures on Assets, and Income. The limits were likely raised in May, 2023. i doubt that all web resources have been updated at this time.

3) I don’t have details about M-L Asset Policies for the example presented. However, if it is matter of having too much funds then search the internet for ways reduce assets. Examples might include pre-paying for funeral cost, replacing a car sooner rather than later, contributing to qualified Education accounts and/or qualified Retirement accounts, ‘gifting’ money to family members below whatever the tax free amount is these days, at one time it was ~$10K, and other things.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:02 AM

76 posts, read 88,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
1) ‘ This unofficial version of the current Mitchell-Lama rules is provided solely for your convenience and you should only rely upon the version that appears in the official compilation of the Rules of the City of New York.’

Consult the Table of Contents.

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...lama-rules.pdf

2) Make sure you get the most recent figures on Assets, and Income. The limits were likely raised in May, 2023. i doubt that all web resources have been updated at this time.

3) I don’t have details about M-L Asset Policies for the example presented. However, if it is matter of having too much funds then search the internet for ways reduce assets. Examples might include pre-paying for funeral cost, replacing a car sooner rather than later, contributing to qualified Education accounts and/or qualified Retirement accounts, ‘gifting’ money to family members below whatever the tax free amount is these days, at one time it was ~$10K, and other things.
@WildAboutHarry, the link doesn't work. can you re-post one? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery