Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times

Advertisements

From that article, an efficiancy is smaller than an apartment, but how much smaller can a so called studio in manhattan be? At least in Queens, a studio alcove apartment is 450 sq ft.

Studios are for singles, with no plans for adding another occupant. That may be the biggest turn off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:11 AM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
if YOU want a larger space then get it, I would never get a larger apt for the perception of women or others...

really is any woman that judges you for living in a studio worth your time? at least you're on your own and not rooming with 3-4 others.

As long as you keep it clean and divide the living areas up it's fine unless it's a tiny studio. If it's a mess with no divined areas then I can see women judging for that...

Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
This is an interesting thread, and as CD tends to always do, goes off on some silly tangents....

I lived in a studio when I lived alone in Manhattan because in my budget, the one bedroom apartments I could afford in my target area were too tiny. The studio gave me a little more flexibility with arranging furniture, etc. I am a person who needs separation between my living and sleeping area. I like to have company over, and would like what I consider to be my private area to remain private.

I live in Queens now, in a large one bedroom. A studio would be less expensive, but I want to feel comfortable and happy in my home. So for me, it's less about how others perceive it, and more about what I want - which, since I'm the one paying for it, is the key. OP, if you want a one bedroom, get a one bedroom. If you're happy in the studio, stay in the studio.

I'll also add...as a female, I'm much less likely to judge you on the size of your apartment than I am the condition, and not only it's cleanliness. If it's as set up as a dorm room, and not functioning as adult space, that's where the problem will be for me. I've been in some utterly lovely studios.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 AM

123 posts, read 138,838 times
Unless a woman is going to contribute to paying the rent for a one bedroom apartment then I should not hear her comments about my living space.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:49 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
If it were me, I'd trade up. All the more so if you can find a rent-stabilized place.

It's a difficult call. You're a lucky guy that you haven't been succumbed to the more-and-bigger mentality that most Americans are prey to. But $2000 is still considered pretty good these days.

However, one other thing for you to consider - is your apartment seen as the best it could be? In other words, it's very possible that people are put off by the small size - but keep in mind that it's also possible that other factors might be the neighborhood or your decor.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
I do not entertain but I could see the look on my coworker's face when she dropped me off. She encouraged me to trade up to a larger place. Lol! My male friend did not seem to care. I think it can have the opposite effect for women. The bed is right there in the open. That is not a good thing. My apartment is less than 300 square feet. My saving grace is the high ceilings. It actually looks like a college dorm. Aside from the bed, the furniture is from Ikea and Target. What can I say? It is clean and uncluttered.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
quote:
It is clean and uncluttered.

that is all that matters!

the furniture is from Ikea

but that's just sad Ikea really is overpriced garbage.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
OP, you don't need to upgrade your apartment. You need to upgrade your taste in women. It seems you've been dating very superficial women so far. Before I got married, I dated lots of guys, and I never cared how big a guy's apartment was. I did care that it was clean! Some men can be such slobs. But whether it's a studio or 1-BR is totally unimportant. I would rather date a guy who lived alone in a studio than one who had roommates in a bigger apartment.

If you're happy in your studio, why not stay and save money, spend it on what you like, and so on. IMHO, even if it's Rent Stabilized, $2K is still a ridiculously high rent for one person to pay. There's nothing wrong with a small apartment, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to have lots of play money at your disposal. Once you start developing a relationship, you can always spend more time at your gf's apartment than your own.

Last edited by citychik; 03-08-2017 at 11:25 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 04:19 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
It was not expensive. The dinette set was $100. It is really cute and fits perfectly. I do not use it. The couch was also $100. That is crap. I do not use it. My friend used to sit on it when he visited . I put old comforters underneath to make it more comfortable. The dresser I believe was $149. I had such a tough time putting it together. I gave up and use it as an entertainment center. It is so flimsy. Whatever! It serves its purpose. I got my plastic night stand and lamps from Target. I did not pay for those items. I had gift cards from my credit card use. I did, however, get a good bed from Sleepy's. I use it. As I write this, I am starting to feel depressed. I had real furniture in my day but it is all gone. Oh well.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It was not expensive. The dinette set was $100. It is really cute and fits perfectly. I do not use it. The couch was also $100. That is crap. I do not use it. My friend used to sit on it when he visited . I put old comforters underneath to make it more comfortable. The dresser I believe was $149. I had such a tough time putting it together. I gave up and use it as an entertainment center. It is so flimsy. Whatever! It serves its purpose. I got my plastic night stand and lamps from Target. I did not pay for those items. I had gift cards from my credit card use. I did, however, get a good bed from Sleepy's. I use it. As I write this, I am starting to feel depressed. I had real furniture in my day but it is all gone. Oh well.
It doesn't sound like the apartment size is the issue, it sounds like the way it's put together is the real issue and turn off (even to you it seems). Not to Ben harsh, but from what you've described, your place gives off an immature vibe. It's decorated like a 23 year old's "bachelor pad"- meaning almost like a dorm room- and not the type of home a woman would expect to see if she's dating a 42 year old financially stable man. If you're dating age appropriate women, that's probably what's going through their head. It has nothing to do with these women being gold diggers or whatever. Honest advice is to upgrade your furniture and decor first. You have the money to spend on making your place look well put together. Then, if you really think it's still necessary, you can upgrade to a larger place. If you don't have a designers eye, or are intimidated about doing a total decoration overhaul, there are inexpensive services that can help you redecorate. My friend mentioned one, and I'll try and find the name/link, but it was some type of startup interior design company that charges by the room. They charge something like $75 to put together a decoration concept for a room based on your budget and tell you what and where to buy items, and then you go out and buy the items.

I know you like to be frugal, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it's worth putting time, money and effort into quality items that you will own for a long time- especially if you can afford it! In the same way, even if one likes to bargain shop for clothing from cheap stores, one should still have a few good/well made quality items if they can afford it.

Edit: I thought it was responding to the OP. Either way, this might still apply to him too.

Last edited by jad2k; 03-09-2017 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City