Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You are focusing on the top percentile of schools while ignoring the rest (90% of NYC public schools). In addition, you are filtering student population through admission testing by performance/demographics/motivation/etc.. and concentrating the top percentile into a few schools. The schools you list looks good on paper because of the concentration of high performing students rather than the school/staff itself.

In addition, you also ignore the cost of tutoring and test preps that goes into being able to get admitted into this type of schools.
Exactly and most of the elementary schools you would have to live near to be able to attend. I was a product of NYC education and it was lacking extracurriculars, mediocre to subpar teaching and overcrowded 12-15 years ago, pretty sure its worse now.

Flawed study to base childcare on care.com costs. The working class and poor wouldnt be able to afford what these sitters are asking for. Also, there is free universal pre K and no exorbitant property taxes to pay like in Westchester and LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 AM

104 posts, read 116,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Exactly and most of the elementary schools you would have to live near to be able to attend. I was a product of NYC education and it was lacking extracurriculars, mediocre to subpar teaching and overcrowded 12-15 years ago, pretty sure its worse now.
You have to live near the school to attend high-performing suburban schools. I am the product of public suburban education and had amazing teachers and a wide variety of extracurriculars because my parents bought property in an area with high taxes that kept the "riff raff" out. My point still stands. Moving to the suburbs doesn't guarantee lower cost of living nor does it mean your children will receive high quality education. The street I lived in growing up was literally the dividing line between a school that had massive computer labs, brand new textbooks, world class facilities and a 100% graduation rate and a school that had to share tattered textbooks, a high drop out rate, and had issues with their students getting pregnant. At least in New York, your child has opportunities to attend a G&T program or other competitive school if they are motivated enough regardless of their address.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas0 View Post
You have to live near the school to attend high-performing suburban schools. I am the product of public suburban education and had amazing teachers and a wide variety of extracurriculars because my parents bought property in an area with high taxes that kept the "riff raff" out. My point still stands. Moving to the suburbs doesn't guarantee lower cost of living nor does it mean your children will receive high quality education. The street I lived in growing up was literally the dividing line between a school that had massive computer labs, brand new textbooks, world class facilities and a 100% graduation rate and a school that had to share tattered textbooks, a high drop out rate, and had issues with their students getting pregnant. At least in New York, your child has opportunities to attend a G&T program or other competitive school if they are motivated enough regardless of their address.
Youre still better off in the burbs generally if you can afford it. The city schools are mostly bad...I would say 80%. The burbs is 50/50?

Last edited by nyccs; 03-07-2017 at 07:26 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 08:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This whole thing is unsustainable IMO

NYC needs to find a way to make some serious cash otherwise we're done
It's working as intended by the people prop-ing up this market and government. They want the costs to be passed down to business and they will keep passing it down to the next guy.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
The $71k NYC difference is mostly based on "Annual Property Taxes and Mortgage Payment" for NYC being $101,590, and $28,668 for suburbia, according to their numbers. I know plenty families that both own and rent in NYC that pay nowhere near $100k/year. The suburb number seems more reasonable, although with LI property taxes it's nowhere near the high side, probably not even mid-range.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:55 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
The figure actually underestimates the difference since suburbanites don't pay NYC income taxes that NYC residents do.

In short, in the suburbs you pay the property taxes and you see where it goes to - great schools with good facilities (sports fields, pools, space etc etc). In the city its a crapshoot, your taxes just go into a hole in the ground supporting underfunded pensions and the homeless amongst other things. You can get into a good school in the city, but they are what - 1 in 5 or less? Plus in the city (unlike the burbs where its just zipcode-based) its merit based - so you actually have to be good to get into those schools!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:08 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Living in a desirable urban center will always be more expensive than the suburbs just due to the fact of having more people competing for limited resources and space. Expensive real estate trickles into all aspect of life from business paying more for rent and passing on the added cost to customers to jobs paying more due to high cost of living.

NYC public schools are terrible.
Some may be (although I found that even in these cases the problem is the quality of student/lack of parental involvement vs. the school being "terrible"), but such a blanket statement tells me that you're wholly ignorant of the NYC school system.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:33 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
The $71k NYC difference is mostly based on "Annual Property Taxes and Mortgage Payment" for NYC being $101,590, and $28,668 for suburbia, according to their numbers. I know plenty families that both own and rent in NYC that pay nowhere near $100k/year. The suburb number seems more reasonable, although with LI property taxes it's nowhere near the high side, probably not even mid-range.
Yeah, maybe if you own a $2 million unit you'll be paying such an amount in annual property taxes and mortgage payment, but people forget that there are much more affordable options in NYC. NYC just isn't prime Manhattan. My folks live in prime Prospect Heights, Brooklyn. While they'd be paying closer to the high end of those estimates if they bought their property today, they got in back in 1999, when things were MUCH more affordable. People making these comments fail to consider people like my family as well as renters, who would be paying far less than the estimates on the high end on average.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's working as intended by the people prop-ing up this market and government. They want the costs to be passed down to business and they will keep passing it down to the next guy.
Does working as its intended mean that its ok?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How bad are NYC public schools exactly?

I'm skeptical of the NYC school system, while I think it's good that that there are options for more ambitious kids, it seems like the whole process is stressful on the students. It would be nice if all the zoned schools were at least decent.

I went to Baldwin High school (on Long Island) which might not be good enough for snobs, but it really does provide a great education to anyone who wants it.
It depends on the NYC public school. There are excellent schools you test into like the Bronx School of Science, Stuyvesant High,etc. There are also performing arts schools.

Of course there are crappy public schools in the poorest neighborhoods, because not many teachers want to teach their long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City