Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Shelters get built. People get put in shelters. Then people from other cities hear that NYC is putting people in shelters, so they come here, but there's no more room in the shelters. So then they sleep in the subway. Rinse and repeat.

Not a solution.
Not to mention the violence, dirty environment and theft of what little these people have left in some shelters. Many would rather take their chances outside. Addictions also may play a role as some cant indulge in the lifestyle freely in thier. Cant blame them for wanting to do anything to ease the pain even if briefly. It all sucks.

Numerous open land in the state. There have been sanctuary villages built elsewhere. 3D printed small homes are a real concept and cost far less then standard homes. There are Earthship homes that people live in by choice that could be a solution. We can put people into space, do all these things yet red tape and bungling cannot solve the issue of shelter for humans on this world. Years upon years this issue gets discussed and no real solutions.

Some may choose homelessness and have serious mental health issues and that prevent them from being able to take care if themselves. Many dont though as well and are stuck in the vicious cycle of homelessness. Which is very hard to escape from and easy for many to fall into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I'm going to be one of them in a year or so. And I plan to make all the rich a-holes of this city's lives as miserable as they've made me the last 15.
way to have goals in life

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
I don't recall ever seeing this many homeless in the streets when Bloomberg was in office.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:33 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
quote:
way to have goals in life

you hit a certain age, your priorities change. going homeless is a legit route for people seeking affordable housing these days. Don't hate the player, hate the game or whatever it is that saying is

Old 03-14-2017, 04:35 PM

I LOVE that someone just suggested, with zero irony, that we send our homeless into outer space lol. (seriously, i love it) sign me up!

Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I would support a plan to help create pathways to permanent housing. DeBlasio's plan is by far the worst one could think of. One, no neighborhood is going to willingly put up with even more shelters. Two, as others stated, many street homeless are not going to go to shelters willingly for various reasons. Three, once you get into the shelter, what is the path forward towards permanent housing?

As I've stated before, for the amount spent on homelessness per head, we could give people apartments in decent areas of NJ or even areas across the country and still save money.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 PM

Three, once you get into the shelter, what is the path forward towards permanent housing?

Sharting out kids is usually the easiest way.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:16 PM

quote:
we could give people apartments in decent areas of NJ or even areas across the country and still save money.

What gives NYC the right to dump their homeless population to Jersey? Or anywhere else really? You're just shifting the problem around. Homeless ARE better off in NYC, or LA, or SF. Personally I think everyone who makes over 100K a year and owns a house in these three cities should be forced to house homeless, at least one or two, in their spare bedrooms. If it's not a spare bedroom? too bad. You love living in the city so much, do your part and walk the walk instead of just talking.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:18 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I'm going to be one of them in a year or so. And I plan to make all the rich a-holes of this city's lives as miserable as they've made me the last 15.
That doesn't sound very good for you.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
quote:
we could give people apartments in decent areas of NJ or even areas across the country and still save money.

What gives NYC the right to dump their homeless population to Jersey? Or anywhere else really? You're just shifting the problem around. Homeless ARE better off in NYC, or LA, or SF. Personally I think everyone who makes over 100K a year and owns a house in these three cities should be forced to house homeless, at least one or two, in their spare bedrooms. If it's not a spare bedroom? too bad. You love living in the city so much, do your part and walk the walk instead of just talking.
That's not much of a solution either. Why would you think that random people would be better equipped to deal with homeless people? That makes no sense.

If you're in a bind right now, why not just ask for help for your personal situation and then maybe someone on the board can help out in some way. It'd make more sense than just throwing you in with some complete randos that end up carving your genitals for money on a live streaming fetish site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: