Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

^^^ yeesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:35 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Numerous open land in the state.
That'swhy its imperative for nyc to invest in the kind of transportation infrastructure that would connect manhattan to cheaper land in the west. A lot of the working poor homeless or living in shelters could have rented or owned property if it was affordable enough for them to do it. NYC taxpayers have been loathe to pay for infrastructure that commuters from other states and counties would benefit from, but at some point it has to be acknowledged that the current strategy of keeping all the benefits internally in the city through one creative scheme or another is not succeeding fast enough.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
If you are a single adult no free housing for you. Only those with crotchfruit and domestic violence get free housing.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Not a solution.
So what is, colder winters and secured subways?

Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
If you are a single adult no free housing for you. Only those with crotchfruit and domestic violence get free housing.
careful jayden. we were all "crotchfruit" once. (That's a disgusting term)
I'm thankful we're not a society that lets children freeze to death.

The article quotes the mayor saying he wants to get people out of the subway. I'm not seeing that this is his fault.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:34 AM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Its not that easy to get homeless of the street. I was out early Saturday morning this past weekend when it was really cold. I saw a homeless man all covered in boxes and then a outreach van pulled up. The guy tried to get the homeless man off the street and bring somewhere but he didn't want to go. I continued on my way and when I returned about an hour later the van was gone and the homeless man was still there.
Exactly!

Several months ago there was homeless man camped out on the sidewalk near a building on York and East 80th. Ambulance rolled up, took out their stretcher and began offer to take the guy where he could get "help". Well the homeless guy let out with such a mouth it would have made a sailor blush. The two female techs were both scared and shocked.

Homeless guy said he was *NOT* sick, and they had no *(*#_(#( right to take him **(#(@ place. Promptly went to the two women to go *(*(( themselves and leave him the **&@)( alone.

The ladies put that stretcher back, got into the ambulance, turned around and left. *LOL*

Doorman from building was (who might have been behind the 911 call) like "aren't you going to take this guy away?".

Truth be told as with finding food and other things most homeless who have a clue, and or do not want to go into the shelter system know how to handle their business.

Every cold night this winter a homeless guy camps out over a hot air vent from an apartment building on East 76th down from Lenox Hill Hospital. He puts up a tarp or whatever over the vent to make a tent and has himself a nice warm spot for the night with "central heating".

On Staten Island they camp out inside the ferry terminal. You'd be surprised at how many people "camp out" inside Central Park. NYPD cannot (nor does) patrol all the woods of that park, that is off the drives or deep outside of the walkways.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:35 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post

I simply can't find a job.

I'm homeless partly because of the city's complete failure to enforce the eviction notice laws. I lost everything but the clothes on my back, then my job.

"Third world country" rules sound good to you. Why don't you move to one?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:42 AM

738 posts, read 585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I don't recall ever seeing this many homeless in the streets when Bloomberg was in office.

It has more to do with the economy than who is mayor.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
I simply can't find a job.

I'm homeless partly because of the city's complete failure to enforce the eviction notice laws. I lost everything but the clothes on my back, then my job.

"Third world country" rules sound good to you. Why don't you move to one?
NYC and LA have more homeless than most "third world cities" due to the high cost of living. They are homeless capitals.

Many people have been evicted in NYC in recent years, and of course you know that.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM

34,089 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Skid Row in L.A.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: