Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:05 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I can't think of any instances where a neighborhood in NYC is worse off because of the subway.
Nowadays, absolutely not. The subway is like a vein of real estate gold. Go back to the 1950s-1980s when white flight was happening and you'll find a different view. Not to mention the subway today is vastly well maintained and a better riding experience than in the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 04:10 PM

782 posts, read 527,177 times
Quote:
There was a thread about this and plenty of people said they actually like the El.

I can't think of any instances where a neighborhood in NYC is worse off because of the subway.
Really, people said they like living along the tracks?

Regarding your second sentence, have you noticed that many areas in NYC that have bad subway access are very nice? Northeast queens, southeast Queens, Staten Island, parts of the Bronx, etc?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Really, people said they like living along the tracks?

Regarding your second sentence, have you noticed that many areas in NYC that have bad subway access are very nice? Northeast queens, southeast Queens, Staten Island, parts of the Bronx, etc?
I didn't say a place couldn't be nice without subway access. But I don't think the subway is detrimental at all.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Nowadays, absolutely not. The subway is like a vein of real estate gold. Go back to the 1950s-1980s when white flight was happening and you'll find a different view. Not to mention the subway today is vastly well maintained and a better riding experience than in the 1980s.
Good point.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No, more like Randolph Apartments in Harlem....they're NYCHA that look like regular apartment buildings, but you can tell they're NYCHA because of how the front doors and exterior lights on the building look, and the apartments have the letter printed below the windowsill. Another part of the Bronx that has a lot of these rehabbed NYCHA buildings are Morrissania (Teller Ave, College Ave). I've been in a rehab in Brooklyn before. Other than the differences outside I mentioned, they look just like normal buildings on the inside.
But I remember the Betances houses being like how you described? They looked like regular buildings to me, but I could tell it was NYCHA.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
But I remember the Betances houses being like how you described? They looked like regular buildings to me, but I could tell it was NYCHA.
Betances looks like 1970s - 1980s NYCHA design to me, there were a few instances around that time where they went crazy and did not stick to normal designs so to speak, i.e. Fort Independence Houses, Harborview Terrace or Morrisania Air Rights. Actually maybe Murphy Houses is a better example.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Betances looks like 1970s - 1980s NYCHA design to me, there were a few instances around that time where they went crazy and did not stick to normal designs so to speak, i.e. Fort Independence Houses or Morrisania Air Rights. Actually maybe Murphy Houses is a better example.
To clear things up, there are several complexes with the Betances name I believe. The one I saw looked like a 1940s era apartment building converted into NYCHA.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
To clear things up, there are several complexes with the Betances name I believe. The one I saw looked like a 1940s era apartment building converted into NYCHA.
Oh ok, I'm referring to the part of Betances where it looks like an actual complex....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 PM

782 posts, read 527,177 times
Quote:
I didn't say a place couldn't be nice without subway access. But I don't think the subway is detrimental at all.
Alright, whatever. People just love the noise and lack of light that come with subways. Rents are lower right next to subway tracks for no reason. The city removed the manhattan elevated trains many years ago just for the hell of it.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM

329 posts, read 299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
Thanks for the opinions. Price and size wise this is the best that we feel. While we want to move we also want to be able to save money.

Crime can and does happen every where. While BF will be coming home after midnight the place is a short walk from the train or he can take a cab home when he doesn't want to deal with the train.
When we went to see the place it was a Friday afternoon with temps in the 40's. Lots of people out. Summer will be more people and probably loud music. I'very usually only lived in neighborhoods like this. BF has lived in East Harlem his whole life.
I think we will be okay i.e happy.
I'm not too far, and Super Mario is correct, but I love the area anyway. I say go for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: