Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
Rightfully so? Lol!

Historically speaking black people should be wayyyyyy more afraid of whites than the other way around. Poor White woman syndrome is a ******.
Yes, rightfully so, and if you are indeed black you are proving my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
White people need to get their head out of their ass and realize not everything's about them
I disagree. Any person would care about themselves first.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Carry pepper spray. You in danger girl!
Agreed. She should arm herself with some kind of deterrent. You could be safe 99% of the time but that 1% is all it takes for you to get hurt or worse.

Her race matters because in that neighborhood she will stand out and could be targeted.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Teachers are generally given a pass as they travel through the hood to and from their school.Everyone knows who they are and where they are going and nobody bothers them. Actually,some people look out for them.
Same goes for other "helping" professionals like social workers going in and out of projects and medical professionals who work in hospitals in the hood.

The only cases I have ever heard of where teachers had a problem was where there were other issues that stemmed from problems in the classroom but if kids and their families respect you,even if you are a disciplinarian but fair, you will never be bothered.

Conversely, Kids also immediately and instinctively pick up on any racist vibe or attitude so if they sense anything like that it could become a problem. If you have any feelings like that you won't be able to conceal it from them.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-28-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 03:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukelala91 View Post
Hi everyone! Someone posted something similar, but I wanted serious feedback. There is a very good chance I will be offered a job teaching at a private charter school in Mott Haven. I'm in student loan debt, and besides liking the mission of the school, the salary is likely the best I will get for a LONG time. I'm looking to get married soon, and this could make that a lot easier.

That being said, the job is in Mott Haven. I am a very fair, very slight white girl, 25 but look quite a bit younger. The school is a 5 minute walk down Willis Avenue from the 2 train. I WILL be walking at night (6-7pm) to the subway, and I do have to take the subway in the evening through Harlem. This is what I need to know: is it worth it? How likely am I to be a victim of violent crime, sexual assault, and/or mugging? It is a wonderful job, but am I putting myself in danger?

If you'd like to respond more personally, DM me here
You should ok. 6-7 pm will be light outside until November for the most part. Just stick to where you are going and don't go anywhere your not supposed to be. Plain and simple. Seeing a white woman walking around Mott Haven is pretty normal due to the slow changing demographics of the area. It sounds like you will be working at JHS Clarke, and that school sits right across the street from the infamous Mott Haven Projects. And that street the goes up from 145 to 148 street is very quite and dreary at night with minimal foot traffic. If you need more info please PM me. I'm a native of the area.

Last edited by toosie; 04-02-2017 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post

Old 03-28-2017, 04:23 PM

151 posts, read 154,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yes, rightfully so, and if you are indeed black you are proving my point.

Lol, bye.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,460 times
Thank you to those who replied. I was nervous posting with such frank language, but I didn't think I'd be perceived quite this way! Please be assured I am NOT a racist-- I acknowledge I am very privileged because of my upbringing and ethnic background, and I own up to that. I draw attention o my race because the area is upwards of 90% non-white. There are very racist people of every background, and outsiders are often the target of crime. I know there is a lot of white-on-minority racism that could create bad blood.
I'm not new to NYC, just to the Bronx borough. I know I SEEM very scared and worried; I'm trying to be smart about my safety. I know crime happens everywhere. I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I'm still young and admit I have a lot to learn!

Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Still, he was a rich white guy, who wanted to make a difference. So he taught in a poor, minority area. And he was killed for his efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
1997?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 15,645 times
Just don't sleep with any of the students.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
I wonder if any hispanics or blacks go to the westchester forum and ask if certain areas are safe from the local people judging them based on their ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City