Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 PM

371 posts, read 526,362 times

Advertisements

Hi,

In NY, you have two years to file suit against an employer. I am nearing that time limit and I am planning to file suit on my own as lawyers only focus on discrimination and tend to not care about wrongful termination.

I feel that I can prove that my reviews were biased and there is lots of evidence.

How do I file a notice of claim in NYC against my former employer?

I definitely need some direction here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,565 times
There is no such thing as "wrongful termination" unless you had an employment contract in which certain clauses were stipulated and then violated or unless you can prove that your termination stemmed from discrimination, because of your race, sex, age, and in some states, sexual orientation. That's it, and your lawyers have been giving you smart advice. Employees at will, which unless you had a contract you were, can be fired at any time, with or without cause or reason.

Last edited by Moving415; 03-29-2017 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 06:20 PM

371 posts, read 526,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
There is no such thing as "wrongful termination" unless you had an employment contract in which certain clauses were stipulated and then violated or unless you can prove that your termination stemmed from discrimination, because of your race, sex, age, and in some states, sexual orientation. That's it, and your lawyers have been giving you smart advice. Employees at will, which unless you had a contract you were, can be fired at any time, with or without cause or reason.
there is a thing such as wrongful termination.

not so much, if you can prove there was fraud when you took the position. If one position was presented to you, then it is changed and you can prove it, then that is fraud.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,565 times
You have absolutely no case.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving415 View Post
you have absolutely no case.
+1.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Hi,

In NY, you have two years to file suit against an employer. I am nearing that time limit and I am planning to file suit on my own as lawyers only focus on discrimination and tend to not care about wrongful termination.

I feel that I can prove that my reviews were biased and there is lots of evidence.

How do I file a notice of claim in NYC against my former employer?

I definitely need some direction here.
The fact you can't get a lawyer basically says you have no case. If you had a case lawyers would eagerly represent you, as they'd be able to shake down money from an employer.

NY is an at will employment state, so unless you were fired on the basis of race, religion, nationality, disability, gender, or sexual orientation, you have no case as at will means you can be fired whenever they want to and you can quit whenever they want to. Contractual employment is an exception to at to at will employment.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:20 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving415 View Post
you have absolutely no case.
+2

Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
there is a thing such as wrongful termination.

not so much, if you can prove there was fraud when you took the position. If one position was presented to you, then it is changed and you can prove it, then that is fraud.
What you're saying here is that you were hired for position A but then either your duties changed or your title was then changed to position B.

This is not fraud. Nor is this something that is even actionable. Most employers have in their employment offers or handbooks that duties can change at any given time.

Sorry as it's been said, you don't have a case. I've been in HR for years and studying fraud and this is not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City