U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:11 PM

4,145 posts, read 3,442,281 times

Advertisements

Sh** ain't real yet. Sh** ain't real yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:12 PM

Y'all really think that NYCHA can't be defunded lmfao

Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,685,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Lol this again, huh? I really don't understand this particular talking point. You and a couple others on here do this. Broski, I drive the side streets 4-5 times a week around there to drop my girl off and pick her up at a hospital that she works at. Those neighborhoods are absolute p!ssholes, and it does not seem to be drastically changing any time soon. Sure there a couple of sketchily built condo buildings that were thrown up in different spots. Big freakin deal. A few (literally a few) non-ghetto restaurants down by bruckner blvd geared towards yups? Perhaps. It really means nothing, particularly when you're speaking of "the south bronx" in general. Place is an absolute dump. Even if there is a chipotle somewhere. Like that is some sort of benchmark for the peak of gentrification. I am still laughing about that one.
Here's the thing though. Most of the Bronx (even the good parts) lack amenities, so I wouldn't necessarily go by that. Overall, the areas are still **** holes as you called them, but they are changing, albeit it slowly. It will take a bit longer perhaps because of the amount of housing projects and poor people, but it's happening. The rents have already been creeping up even in the worst areas and pricing people out. The question really is when will people with more income start moving into those areas? For now it's just been people looking for deals. I predict slow gentrification, similar to what is happening in East Harlem. The area is still a dump overall, but every time I'm in the area I see more folks like myself... Either professionals or whites. The other thing that may save these areas is the poor transportation. I find getting to the South Bronx (at least some parts) a real pain in the arse.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Here's the thing though. Most of the Bronx (even the good parts) lack amenities, so I wouldn't necessarily go by that. Overall, the areas are still **** holes as you called them, but they are changing, albeit it slowly. It will take a bit longer perhaps because of the amount of housing projects and poor people, but it's happening. The rents have already been creeping up even in the worst areas and pricing people out. The question really is when will people with more income start moving into those areas? For now it's just been people looking for deals. I predict slow gentrification, similar to what is happening in East Harlem. The area is still a dump overall, but every time I'm in the area I see more folks like myself... Either professionals or whites. The other thing that may save these areas is the poor transportation. I find getting to the South Bronx (at least some parts) a real pain in the arse.
+1

I agree with you, and I have emphasized your points ad nauseum on this forum

Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,819,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

I am not personally saying that amenities themselves are the benchmark for gentrification. That is me more harking back to an earlier thread that he made claiming that the arrival of chipotle was the end of the old south bronx as we know it (just lol).

My post was simply my observations of the neighborhoods around there over the past few months, almost every day, there and back. Off of the main roads, on the side streets. Albeit anecdotal one might say, it is as clear as day to me. I have no pony in the game, and could not care less what happens with the bronx in general. I just find it odd and amusing when people push this narrative. I don't quite get it.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I am not personally saying that amenities themselves are the benchmark for gentrification. That is me more harking back to an earlier thread that he made claiming that the arrival of chipotle was the end of the old south bronx as we know it (just lol).

My post was simply my observations of the neighborhoods around there over the past few months, almost every day, there and back. Off of the main roads, on the side streets. Albeit anecdotal one might say, it is as clear as day to me. I have no pony in the game, and could not care less what happens with the bronx in general. I just find it odd and amusing when people push this narrative. I don't quite get it.
I happen to agree with you overall. The gentrification that is happening is relatively contained to certain areas. The side streets are still total dumps, though some look a little better than others due to so much affordable housing being built, so at least there are fewer empty lots.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:41 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
The Bronx won't gentrify anytime soon, but the rents will keep going up.

And EH will gentrify before Mott Haven.

And yeah like another poster said, the neighborhood in general is still pretty hood. For now only the most hardcore hipsters will move there.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:09 PM

212 posts, read 91,804 times
What's the matter, afraid local test scores might actually exceed those of Zimbabwe eventually?

While some people certainly deserve to lie in the filth and chronic dysfunction they create forever, others might actually benefit from the re-introduction of something resembling human civilization to the Bronx. Besides, push comes to shove, at least the local muggers and knockout-gamin' thugs will have juicier targets on which to ply their trade.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
What's the matter, afraid local test scores might actually exceed those of Zimbabwe eventually?

While some people certainly deserve to lie in the filth and chronic dysfunction they create forever, others might actually benefit from the re-introduction of something resembling human civilization to the Bronx. Besides, push comes to shove, at least the local muggers and knockout-gamin' thugs will have juicier targets on which to ply their trade.
LMAO! You are funny as hell!

Old 03-31-2017, 02:36 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Two 12-Story Mixed-Use Buildings Planned At 417 Gerard Avenue Site, Mott Haven New York YIMBY

Told you guys South Bronx is done. East Harlem next, Far Rockaway after that. Stay tuned...
I don't get the big deal, it will be another affordable housing building like many in the bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or