U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:41 AM

19,168 posts, read 32,707,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Dude there is construction in basically every square inch of the city that somebody thinks they can make a buck in. It doesn't mean much that these neighborhoods also have some. This one, and your chipotle thread simply make me shake my head. People tend to get very dramatic about things. This is a perfect example.

And there is nothing inherently "cool" or uncool regarding anything to do with the Bronx. What a weird comment. Frankly, I would very much prefer if she got a gig at a hospital much closer and not in a rathole neighborhood. But alas, it is what it is at the moment. And I drive her when I can. Just posting my observations as somebody who is in no way emotionally and/or financially invested in the area in any regard.
De Nile is the longest river in the world.....its source is near Lake Victoria....at Khartoum Sudan, De Nile splits up into De Blue Nile, and De White Nile....

De Nile

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:40 AM

7,582 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
This is a key point that people want to ignore. And include Manhattan peeps. Before my boyfriend and decided on the Bronx we wanted to stay in Manhattan. We got approved for an apartment at Savoy Park but we decided not to take it because it was at the top of our budget. Really it was over if you add the A/C. So we came to the Bronx.

We're trying to save to buy a place (fingers crossed) by next year. The price for a 2 bedroom apartment at Savoy Park now range from $2600-$2800. When we looked it was $2400-$2600. That jump was within a month and a change in management.

Investors who want to make money fast but not take a hard risk see the Bronx as a win win right now because of people like my boyfriend and I.

But as far as a businesses coming into the community that will take some work...i.e the people who will use the services.
No one has missed that point at all. The Bronx is a completely different animal. Most of it was built around commuting to and from Manhattan, and the amenities are still lacking in just about all neighborhoods to attract people with really deep pockets. Aside from that you have too many housing projects and too much affordable housing being built for the Bronx to see the same sort of gentrification that Brooklyn did. Brooklyn never suffered the kind of decay that the Bronx did, so that's one reason that it was easier to gentrify. The Bronx is still one of the last places that you find "old New York".

Old 04-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No one has missed that point at all. The Bronx is a completely different animal. Most of it was built around commuting to and from Manhattan, and the amenities are still lacking in just about all neighborhoods to attract people with really deep pockets. Aside from that you have too many housing projects and too much affordable housing being built for the Bronx to see the same sort of gentrification that Brooklyn did. Brooklyn never suffered the kind of decay that the Bronx did, so that's one reason that it was easier to gentrify. The Bronx is still one of the last places that you find "old New York".
Man you suffer from denial too. NYCHA is the largest public housing authority on the continent....if thats the case, gentrification should have never happened in NYC, as it has too much public housing....

Who sent you????

Old 04-01-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Man you suffer from denial too. NYCHA is the largest public housing authority on the continent....if thats the case, gentrification should have never happened in NYC, as it has too much public housing....

Who sent you????
Who sent you??? Several posters now have said you're making a big to do out of nothing. Is gentrification happening in the Bronx? Yes! Is it happening on a large scale? NO! Yes, rents are going up and have been considerably, but the Bronx is still not there yet and won't be for at least another five or so years.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:56 PM

5,708 posts, read 5,166,149 times
Quote:
Who sent you??? Several posters now have said you're making a big to do out of nothing. Is gentrification happening in the Bronx? Yes! Is it happening on a large scale? NO! Yes, rents are going up and have been considerably, but the Bronx is still not there yet and won't be for at least another five or so years.
Exactly, if he is such a Bronx fan sell your ML in the Rockaways and move to the Bronx yourself.
Put your children in the local schools and support all the local Bx businesses.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
It will be there though, thats the point.....do you live in the Bronx?

Old 04-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Exactly, if he is such a Bronx fan sell your ML in the Rockaways and move to the Bronx yourself.
I do that around my way already, why go to the Bronx....I'm letting it rest anyway. People will see it for themselves when they're ready.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:36 PM

5,708 posts, read 5,166,149 times
Quote:
I do that around my way already, why go to the Bronx....I'm letting it rest anyway. People will see it for themselves when they're ready.
Then why don't you post more about your area, your neighborhood instead of a place you are not in.
Your like one of the people who give a new comer advice of an area you haven't been in 5 years. Talk about what you know instead of what you read.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Then why don't you post more about your area, your neighborhood instead of a place you are not in.
Your like one of the people who give a new comer advice of an area you haven't been in 5 years. Talk about what you know instead of what you read.
Check my search history, I do post about around my way....I'm from New York City, so I post about New York City...I've been to like 75% of this city.....how do you know where I'm at or not? Woodlawn is probably the only part of the Bronx I've never been to.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
LMAO!

Quote:
It will be there though, thats the point.....do you live in the Bronx?
I'm a New Yorker and I'm in the Bronx daily, so I see with my own eyes what's going on. You should come up and see for yourself instead of speculating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or